Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,712 of 3,060

Exactly what I thought when I auditioned the IM03 and IM04 (while transiting Singapore, great city btw).  The IM04 also has good details in the bass, as good as the LCD-2.  The texture and tightness is a little better on the Lcd-2.  

Thanks! Although the perpetual summer climate can be a bummer for IEM users. 
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm in total agreement with the IM04's bass presentation. It is very well textured with punchy beats and decent sub-bass extension. It isn't too heavy on the mid-bass, but it will present itself when it is required. Very well done, I might add.

So can ATH IM-04 hold ground against Shure SE846 ?

I'd say the SE846 remains the king of the universal IEMs for sheer bass presence. It's a joy listening to EDM with them.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,713 of 3,060
I got the IM02 and IM70 in the mail and I've been listening for a few hours. Firstly, I've determined that my Moto X is what causes the static noise, as I hear it on all the IEMs (though it wasn't present on a set of full sized headphones I listened to one time, so there must be a common factor between the headphones). This is disappointing because I thought getting new IEMs would solve the issue. Also of note is that I tried them with my computer (Asus gaming motherboard with segregated audio processing section). There wasn't much of a difference between how songs sounded on my phone and my computer, except for the static.

I definitely don't like the IM02. I guess it's the analytical sound signature. Vocals sound the worst. Most of the vocals in my music sounded empty/flat/I don't know how to describe it, but not good. The clarity was very good, however, and I definitely heard things I hadn't before from some songs.

The IM70 are much closer to how my Klipsch Image S4i sound, but clearer and somewhat more balanced. Overall, these would be an upgrade that sound better in most cases. However, they don't sound dramatically better.

What I would really want is something with the clarity of the IM02 and a sound signature closer to the IM70 or even the S4. But of course the difficult part is I want it over-the-ear with mic/remote (or replacement cables available like with these). I could try the silver cable on the IM70, but I'm skeptical that it would improve the clarity significantly.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,714 of 3,060

Yeah, IM02 is already bright/analytical sounding IEM and probably silver cable may cause sibilance in some songs. 

I had the silver cable along with IM02's and saw no sibilance. If you have properly mastered tracks at high quality you should be fine. No treble harshness either. 

I got the IM02 and IM70 in the mail and I've been listening for a few hours. Firstly, I've determined that my Moto X is what causes the static noise, as I hear it on all the IEMs (though it wasn't present on a set of full sized headphones I listened to one time, so there must be a common factor between the headphones). This is disappointing because I thought getting new IEMs would solve the issue. Also of note is that I tried them with my computer (Asus gaming motherboard with segregated audio processing section). There wasn't much of a difference between how songs sounded on my phone and my computer, except for the static.

I definitely don't like the IM02. I guess it's the analytical sound signature. Vocals sound the worst. Most of the vocals in my music sounded empty/flat/I don't know how to describe it, but not good. The clarity was very good, however, and I definitely heard things I hadn't before from some songs.

The IM70 are much closer to how my Klipsch Image S4i sound, but clearer and somewhat more balanced. Overall, these would be an upgrade that sound better in most cases. However, they don't sound dramatically better.

What I would really want is something with the clarity of the IM02 and a sound signature closer to the IM70 or even the S4. But of course the difficult part is I want it over-the-ear with mic/remote (or replacement cables available like with these). I could try the silver cable on the IM70, but I'm skeptical that it would improve the clarity significantly.

The IM02's do very well when properly amped. Yea, they're IEMs, I know, but I ran them from a JDS C5 and got amazing sound out of them. Pretty flat throughout with very, very slight emphasis in the treble and bass. 

But yea, they can be pretty anemic if they aren't getting the power they deserve. If you are using a Moto X and your laptop, I would think about getting a DAC or maybe a dedicated player. Either of those options would give you a noticeable bump in sound quality over your current sources. 

The IM02's are well known for also sounding bland/thin with high impedance devices. E.g., laptop and phone headphone outs. You really do have to use a good source to get them to sound good. 

If it were me and I were buying, I'd get a nice DAP like the iBasso DX50, or something with built-in gain settings. I still run an amp with mine but dedicated daps are a lot better than laptops or phones when you start using quality headphones. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #1,715 of 3,060
I have the IM04 and GR07BE (I know you want a comparison between the IM02 and GR07BE).  Both have a very similar sound signature - lush, warm, slight emphasis on the mids.  Where the IM04 pulls ahead is little more Bass impact, details especially in the lower region, bigger soundstage and more pinpoint imaging.  You could almost say the IM04 is a bigger brother of the GR07BE.  Most people say the IM02 is analytical/bright.  So, two different headphone flavours. 

Thanks that helps alot

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,716 of 3,060

Silver plated cable will bring more clarity to the Im70 most definitely....also removing the paper filters will help in a way as well

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,718 of 3,060
But will it really be enough? If you had to give a percentage clarity increase, what would you say? (Maybe that's an impossible thing to say.)

It is almost an impossible thing to say lol....you can observe the changes though, the bass get shorter decays, the clarity of low-mid spectrum will get a little boost, the vocal as well especially female vocal, and the trebles extensions. They all will be increased to an observable quantity.

Now it depends on sources, and ears :wink:

I did both, cable upgrades and filters removed.....it probably boosted 15% or so to the clarity, if I was forced to numberize it :rolleyes:

I am also in the same boat as you and on a quest for the IM-02 clarity/transparency together with natural textured bass (fx750 has more bass quality and quantity + clarity as well) and that is what I am looking for......I don't even know if such thing existed for less than SE846 price :D

But I have ordered IM-04 and 7N-OFC cables with 4 poles to use with ZX2

I will update, but my cable will not be here until 6 weeks.....my IM-04 will arrive tomorrow. One thing is for sure that SE846 look ways more compact and comfortable than im-04 housing

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,719 of 3,060
If your looking for detail and clairity with natural sounding bass you owe it to yourself to look into GR07BE. I always think theres an upgrade out there and everytime I attempt to, im just reassurred of the greatness of the GR07BE.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,720 of 3,060

If you are on stock tips, I'd recommend you to get UE600 tips or Philips 3590 tips which improve the clarity of IM70s or you can remove the filters as @Whitigir said. Tips rolling does a lot to these IM series. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,721 of 3,060
If your looking for detail and clairity with natural sounding bass you owe it to yourself to look into GR07BE. I always think theres an upgrade out there and everytime I attempt to, im just reassurred of the greatness of the GR07BE.

Looks like it doesn't have mic/remote or removable cable (allowing for third party mic/remote cables).

I think I'm going to stick with the IM70 and get the $25 Lunashops silver cable and remove the filters (Someone said that it's reversible but I can't see how. I poked a hole through it just by poking at it a little.) and maybe that ~$40 Android DAC to try to get rid of the static. I don't think there's anything out there that's over the ear, remote/mic, and sounds clear and balanced for less than $200.(Well, Rock-It Sounds told me they could directly sell me an R50M, but it doesn't have removable cables and I don't really want to take the risk. Though I guess I could sell it if I don't like it? I don't know if the fact that they're impossible to find now would be good or bad for that.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,722 of 3,060

If you are on stock tips, I'd recommend you to get UE600 tips or Philips 3590 tips which improve the clarity of IM70s or you can remove the filters as @Whitigir said. Tips rolling does a lot to these IM series. 

I compared the silicone to the Comply, and I didn't hear a difference. The silicone shoot out of my ears though. I like the Comply. On my Klipsch, I had Hearos earplugs that I DIY'd onto them, and the comply seem similar in feel. I tried a a bunch on my Klipsch a while ago too and I didn't notice much difference.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,723 of 3,060
  Looks like it doesn't have mic/remote or removable cable (allowing for third party mic/remote cables).

I think I'm going to stick with the IM70 and get the $25 Lunashops silver cable and remove the filters (Someone said that it's reversible but I can't see how. I poked a hole through it just by poking at it a little.) and maybe that ~$40 Android DAC to try to get rid of the static. I don't think there's anything out there that's over the ear, remote/mic, and sounds clear and balanced for less than $200.(Well, Rock-It Sounds told me they could directly sell me an R50M, but it doesn't have removable cables and I don't really want to take the risk. Though I guess I could sell it if I don't like it? I don't know if the fact that they're impossible to find now would be good or bad for that.)

You can peel the filters off with a neddle. The filters are sticky and has some glue around them. After removing the filters you can stick them onto a paper and store them.  

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,725 of 3,060
  Okay I did that and I don't really hear a difference.

Then put them back on. I am afraid you won't hear the difference again when you get the $25 Lunashops silver cable. 
biggrin.gif
 Because I could hear some slight differences after removing the filters or changing the tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back