Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jan 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,516 of 3,060
Well I dont know how to explain it really.  I was mainly listening to Jazz and classical which sounds AMAZING (at least to me) with my Re-400's but when I played the same through my IM70's it sounded more recessed in the mids, which may be a case of the re-400 being more forward and the highs just weren't as clear or detailed but again, more balanced with the other frequencies. I really enjoy them for some old R&B or even EDM during my morning workouts, but for Jazz vocalist and classical, these do not shine with in my opinion.  They dont sound bad, but I think they are a great all arounder!

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #1,517 of 3,060
Well I dont know how to explain it really.  I was mainly listening to Jazz and classical which sounds AMAZING (at least to me) with my Re-400's but when I played the same through my IM70's it sounded more recessed in the mids, which may be a case of the re-400 being more forward and the highs just weren't as clear or detailed but again, more balanced with the other frequencies. I really enjoy them for some old R&B or even EDM during my morning workouts, but for Jazz vocalist and classical, these do not shine with in my opinion.  They dont sound bad, but I think they are a great all arounder!

You nailed it. IM-70 mid is a bit recessed. It is a slight V shape type. I guess the uniqueness of the Im-70 is the natural and organic sounding of the instruments, very musical tonality. I hear removing the filters will bring out more mid and clarity :D

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,518 of 3,060
You nailed it. IM-70 mid is a bit recessed. It is a slight V shape type. I guess the uniqueness of the Im-70 is the natural and organic sounding of the instruments, very musical tonality. I hear removing the filters will bring out more mid and clarity
biggrin.gif

It is quite different from what I hear on the IM70s. On the contrary, they are slighlty mid forward IEM. But we all hear differently aren't we?
wink.gif

Yes, removing filters bring out the mids and treble a bit but not much like IM50.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,520 of 3,060
I agreed, and I hope I didn't impress you wrongly on the S-018
biggrin.gif

No problem mate. I have a feeling that I will enjoy these more than Pistons 2.1. 
biggrin.gif
  I bought it because it looks beautiful and I wanted a wooden IEM in my collection. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,522 of 3,060
I am looking for a broken IM50 to replace one of the drivers on my IM50 which I accidentally damaged while working on a mod.
biggrin.gif
 It doesn't matter if it is right or left side. Please pm me if someone has it in his/her drawer.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,523 of 3,060

It is quite different from what I hear on the IM70s. On the contrary, they are slighlty mid forward IEM. But we all hear differently aren't we?
wink.gif

Yes, removing filters bring out the mids and treble a bit but not much like IM50.

I also find them slightly mid-forward. But then, compared to the RE400, I can see how almost any IEM would sound mid-recessed.

Frame of reference is important.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,524 of 3,060
I also find them slightly mid-forward. But then, compared to the RE400, I can see how almost any IEM would sound mid-recessed.

Frame of reference is important.

Yes, exactly. The thing is that your ears is just much like your eyes, once it gets to a better plane, it will never back down....hence the reason why nearsighted people will always gets closer vision as they upgrade their glasses lol...

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,527 of 3,060
I am really close to putting in an order for a pair of IM70s. I got my RE-400s a few weeks ago and haven't even finished my review on them and now I'm contemplating getting another set of IEMs. >< Would you guys conside the IM70 to be a good all-arounder?

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,528 of 3,060
  I am really close to putting in an order for a pair of IM70s. I got my RE-400s a few weeks ago and haven't even finished my review on them and now I'm contemplating getting another set of IEMs. >< Would you guys conside the IM70 to be a good all-arounder?

Yes, they're an excellent all rounder. What are your primary types of music you listen to?

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,529 of 3,060
RE-600 more mid-forward than the IM70. IM70 darker- treble energy could be better but some people love this kinda smooth signature. The two are polar opposites in fit. The RE-600 disappears; the IM70 takes a lot of fiddling around with the memory wire, and it's still not that comfy.

Very smooth and effortless sound with the IM70- in my mind makes it pretty agreeable with a lot of genres.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,530 of 3,060
RE-600 more mid-forward than the IM70. IM70 darker- treble energy could be better but some people love this kinda smooth signature. The two are polar opposites in fit. The RE-600 disappears; the IM70 takes a lot of fiddling around with the memory wire, and it's still not that comfy.

Very smooth and effortless sound with the IM70- in my mind makes it pretty agreeable with a lot of genres.

The RE-600  is twice the price of the IM70's though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back