Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,366 of 3,060
  Do you guys think the price difference between an IM03 and IM70 worth it? I'm thinking on what to get and hope you can give me some heads up.

Thanks!

If you were going to spend that much I'd recommend the CKR9/10 more than the IM03 based on what I've heard. That said, the IM03 will outclass the IM70, but if it's worth the extra $200+ bucks? That depends on what you want out of your IEMs. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,367 of 3,060
Coming from expirence, I have found that the more something cost the more disappointed I am. I tend to stay In the $100-$150 and below. My advice would be to go for the im70. I've got the im01, it's OK. I believe dynamics sound better than BA's anyways...

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,368 of 3,060
If you were going to spend that much I'd recommend the CKR9/10 more than the IM03 based on what I've heard. That said, the IM03 will outclass the IM70, but if it's worth the extra $200+ bucks? That depends on what you want out of your IEMs. 

Did you mean you've actually heard the IM03 or you've heard what others have said. Just want you clarify.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,370 of 3,060
Would you consider the IM02 too analytical compared with IM70? What are your recommendations between the two? I just thought these two are comparable due to their price, IM02 being slightly expensive.

I have a friend in Japan and is near Yodobashi. Your thoughts would really be appreciated.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #1,371 of 3,060

I ordered the same cable for my IM70 too. Hasn't arrived yet, but I got it in black and red like this with a remote. The description isn't very clear, but the seller is great and quick to respond to any questions.

I asked him what the cable is made from, and he said that some of the cores of the cable are made from "single-crystal copper", which is technically OCC, but not officially, and some of the cores are made from "single-crystal silver". I have no idea what effect this will have on sound, but I guess I'll find out. I just got it because of the useful remote, and ofcourse, it looks pretty!
tongue.gif

I'll post my opinions once it arrives.

Hello! Do you received it?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,372 of 3,060
Just got the IM02 yesterday. Sounds pretty good. The housing is significantly larger than what I'm used to (Phonak 022 and re-400). The memory cable is almost as annoying as the Sony MH1C flat cable. Just curious, has if anyone has reshelled the IM02 or any of the IM0x series?

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,373 of 3,060
ok, I'm torn so im helping you guys can help me out. I'm looking at the im50 and gr07 bass edition....with those familiar or owning both, which would I be happier with. My source is dx50 and I listen to mainly jazz, rock, and select few artist such as Eli goulding and erykah badu so the vocals must be sweet and the bass impactful but not overpowering the kids or vocals. Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: I'm currently using the re-400, and the sound great with classical and jazz vocals but missing a bit of the low end bass I want in some of my songs.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,374 of 3,060
ok, I'm torn so im helping you guys can help me out. I'm looking at the im50 and gr07 bass edition....with those familiar or owning both, which would I be happier with. My source is dx50 and I listen to mainly jazz, rock, and select few artist such as Eli goulding and erykah badu so the vocals must be sweet and the bass impactful but not overpowering the kids or vocals. Any advice is appreciated.

Edit: I'm currently using the re-400, and the sound great with classical and jazz vocals but missing a bit of the low end bass I want in some of my songs.

Between these two, I would definitely pick IM50 for that sweet vocals and bass impact.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,375 of 3,060

The GR07 BE is the better phone overall of those. The vocals are more forward on the IM50 and sweeter, but not necessarily more layered or separated. The IM70 is more of a match for the GR07BE in my opinion. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,376 of 3,060

Mids are great on the m50, but bass was overpowering in the mids. Im70 should your best bet (haven't heard them or the BE)

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,377 of 3,060
Aw, I wish they weren't imported and I could test them.  That's what I feared that the IM70 would be a closed match!  Ok, but one of you also say the GR07BE would be better overall.  So comparing the IM70 and Gr07BE, would the GR07BE still prevail for my taste?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,378 of 3,060
  Aw, I wish they weren't imported and I could test them.  That's what I feared that the IM70 would be a closed match!  Ok, but one of you also say the GR07BE would be better overall.  So comparing the IM70 and Gr07BE, would the GR07BE still prevail for my taste?

Well, I sold my GR07BE in favor of my IM70. The GR07 has great layering and texture and a wide soundstage, but the IM70 has a more 3d presentation with better separation and more forward mids. Also better build quality. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,379 of 3,060
Well, I sold my GR07BE in favor of my IM70. The GR07 has great layering and texture and a wide soundstage, but the IM70 has a more 3d presentation with better separation and more forward mids. Also better build quality. 

Also IM50/70 don't suffer from sibilance issue that GR07BE has. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back