Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jan 5, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #1,396 of 3,060
Guys I found something interesting
The IM-04 was reviewed by goldenears and its objective measurements were taken.
Hmmm, this one seems...out of place. It's a quite colored sound which some may interpret as distortion and reducing transparency. Interesting how expensive IEMs can sometimes be rated lower in sound quality than cheapos.

for instance the much cheaper ATH-CKx5 with its traditional Audiotechnica "house sound" was actually given a higher subjective rating overall than the im-04. Likewise the resonance levels of the CKx5is were similar apart from a slight disparity near 15khz. But wait! it gets better...The impedance levels for the Ckx5 are actually ruler flat while the IM-04 show some minor inconsistencies. The impulse response actually also indicates a slight advantage to the much cheaper activity/sport oriented ckx5is.

I'm not trying to bash on the im-04 or Audio technica by any means and I'm sure in person the im-04 sounds lovely if a little bit colored. But just a word to the wise, always try to go for objectively best and technical specs in this kind of price bracket. Because if the manufacture messes up a little with the tuning, you end up with little quirks in the sound sig that will be less wonky and possibly even appealing. But if they go a little off balance with a colored type tuning? The results can be eh...less than ideal

EDIT: in the spirit of trying to be objective as possible. I must point out that the IM-04 does actually have a clear advantage when it comes to step response. That is all.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?document_srl=54153&mid=GR_Earphones&sort_index=readed_count&order_type=asc&comment_srl=23281
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&document_srl=42223

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,397 of 3,060
Hey all,
I'm debating right now on getting the IM-02. I tend to prefer the sound signatures of Grado and HifiMan headphones, so the "Detailed and Revealing" nature of these IEMs stated in the OP's review sounds like it'd be a good fit for me.
IM-02 owners, would you say that your headphones are a bit more aggressive and less polite (in a good way) than other IEMs?
Also, has anyone tried out both the IM-02 and the HiFiMan RE-600? I'm looking at potentially getting both and doing a comparison, but I'd like to know what someone else's impressions are if they've tried both.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,398 of 3,060
Hey all,
I'm debating right now on getting the IM-02. I tend to prefer the sound signatures of Grado and HifiMan headphones, so the "Detailed and Revealing" nature of these IEMs stated in the OP's review sounds like it'd be a good fit for me.
IM-02 owners, would you say that your headphones are a bit more aggressive and less polite (in a good way) than other IEMs?
Also, has anyone tried out both the IM-02 and the HiFiMan RE-600? I'm looking at potentially getting both and doing a comparison, but I'd like to know what someone else's impressions are if they've tried both.

I've tried IM02 and Re400. Asuming that Re400 and Re600 have some similarities. I can say that none of those have that Grado sound signatures. Instead I can recommend you getting IM50/70 which sounds more Grado-ish.

If you want an IEM more which sounds more like a Grado you should better search for Ortofon eQ-5.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,399 of 3,060
  Hey all,

The IM02 is pretty balanced sounding, but not really sharp in the way I associate with Grados. Which Hifimans do you like in particular? I found their models to have a wide variety of signatures. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,400 of 3,060
I've tried IM02 and Re400. Asuming that Re400 and Re600 have some similarities. I can say that none of those have that Grado sound signatures. Instead I can recommend you getting IM50/70 which sounds more Grado-ish.

If you want an IEM more which sounds more like a Grado you should better search for Ortofon eQ-5.

I'm not looking for something super grado-ey, but definitely a little in the area of harshness. I don't want an IEM that sounds like the HD 558, for example. What I'm really looking for is an IEM that has a similar sound signature to the HiFiMan HE-4, which is my current favorite over ear
  The IM02 is pretty balanced sounding, but not really sharp in the way I associate with Grados. Which Hifimans do you like in particular? I found their models to have a wide variety of signatures. 

I own and adore the HE-4.
I've owned the SR-225i in the past, and it was a tad too aggressive for me. I like how detailed and fast the HE-4 sounds due to the planar drivers. It felt like the SR-225i was trying to compensate for its dynamic drivers by being tuned harshly, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

That's why the IM02 appealed to me, as I read that it was detailed and that BA Drivers tend to have a more articulate, fast sound when compared with dynamic drivers. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,401 of 3,060
  I'm not looking for something super grado-ey, but definitely a little in the area of harshness. I don't want an IEM that sounds like the HD 558, for example. What I'm really looking for is an IEM that has a similar sound signature to the HiFiMan HE-4, which is my current favorite over ear
I own and adore the HE-4.
I've owned the SR-225i in the past, and it was a tad too aggressive for me. I like how detailed and fast the HE-4 sounds due to the planar drivers. It felt like the SR-225i was trying to compensate for its dynamic drivers by being tuned harshly, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

That's why the IM02 appealed to me, as I read that it was detailed and that BA Drivers tend to have a more articulate, fast sound when compared with dynamic drivers. 

Hmmm, I'm not sure that the IM02 would be the correct choice, but I haven't heard the HE4 myself. I wouldn't think the IM02 would have appropriate bass to satisfy a planar magnetic fan.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,402 of 3,060

This is a misconception. There are plenty of clear and fast dynamics, and plenty of warm and slow BAs. I would look into the CKR9 based on what you're looking for.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,403 of 3,060
  Hmmm, I'm not sure that the IM02 would be the correct choice, but I haven't heard the HE4 myself. I wouldn't think the IM02 would have appropriate bass to satisfy a planar magnetic fan.

Appropriate as in quantity or quality?
It definitely wouldn't be a situation of love/hate based solely upon the quality of bass reproduction. So long as the midbass is in check and the subbass is present without being overwhelming, I'm fine. I'm really not expecting an IEM to have the nice bass of my HE-4, since the acoustic situation is totally different. As long as the bass is of fairly high quality and meets the response characteristics above, I'm good.
Also, if it helps, the HE-4 can really be described as a well-refined Grado. Bass is of high quality but not in high quantity, which is good for the presentation. Vocals tend to be slightly recessed on most songs, although not enough so to be a serious issue. Stringed instruments are very well rendered, especially acoustic Guitar and piano. As a Saxophone player, I feel like the sax reproduction is also of high quality. The sound sig has a "Please listen to me" tone, while Grados have a "LISTEN DAMMIT" tone and Senns (In my experience) have a "listen if you want" tone, if that makes sense. Overall, they're forward but not overly so.

This is a misconception. There are plenty of clear and fast dynamics, and plenty of warm and slow BAs. I would look into the CKR9 based on what you're looking for.

I didn't really think of it that way. Thanks for clearing it up. My understanding was that it was pretty inherent in the technology, but I think the real situation is just that, as a general trend, BAs tend to be more articulate, but this isn't a defined characteristic true of all BAs.

To be honest with everyone here, I just really want to try a BA, preferably a dual-BA like the IM02. Every IEM I've owned in the past has been a Dynamic, and I want to see what the differences are for myself. I'm starting to reconsider on the IM02, though, from what everyone's said, and I would definitely consider a dynamic if it had the sound I'm looking for. I may sound contradictory, but I'm not expecting a 1-1 replica of the HE-4 in tiny form. I'm just looking for an IEM that's a bit forward without being overly aggressive and that definitely isn't veiled. All Rock, from live acoustic sets to technical metal, need to sound coherent and articulate rather than congested and jumbled. That's the main quality I'm looking for.

One test I'd like the IEM to pass is to listen to this track: http://youtu.be/QOqCA9t4bLk
Now, if the IEM will have a good presentation for my ears, what should happen is, when the bass comes in, it should be present and of high quality but shouldn't overshadow the guitar work. Additionally, when the fast guitar work starts, there shouldn't be just a wall of sound, but rather discernible instrumentation with a forward but not super ear-piercing presentation.

I hope I'm making sense for you guys. Tell me if there's anything you need to hear to get a better sense of what I'm looking for.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,405 of 3,060
Anyone try this cable yet? http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/audio-s/item/trim3/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

L plug, no memory wire, and 0.5 Ohm seems pretty decent. Stock is okay but I find it again stiffens in the cold and the memory wire makes them more fussy.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,406 of 3,060
  Anyone try this cable yet? http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/audio-s/item/trim3/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

L plug, no memory wire, and 0.5 Ohm seems pretty decent. Stock is okay but I find it again stiffens in the cold and the memory wire makes them more fussy.

Looks nice, but no much info about it. I use the Lunashop silver plated OFC review by twister6. Sounds good to me.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,408 of 3,060
Hey all,

If you like the grado sound why not get the gr8 or gr10?

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,409 of 3,060
If you like the grado sound why not get the gr8 or gr10?

As stated in a later post, I'm really much more a fan of the HiFiMan HE-4 sound than I am of the Grado sound. IMO, the Grado sound is under-engineered and has serious issues, but it does come closer to the type of sound I appreciate than many other headphones. I appreciate the forwardness their phones have, but overall I think they're too forward and lack the low end to be a serious all-rounder, whereas the HE-4 brings back the forwardness a little bit to be less fatiguing and has the low end support that allows it to be usable for many different genres. 

TBH, I'm a little put out with Grado at this point, and would rather not buy another one of their products. Part of what aggravates me is the fact that they heavily overprice many of their phones and accessories, such as their amplifier that sells for over $200 and is basically a CMoy.

Finally, I'd like to keep the price down below $200 if possible. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to getting the gr8, since it's not too far over the limit, but I really feel like I wouldn't enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back