Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jan 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,411 of 3,060
Joining the ranks! im50 on the way!

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #1,412 of 3,060
After much testing I'm starting to think the im50 maybe a better option for walking and commuting. When I'm out and about I find the bass of my im70s gets a bit lost in the background noise, the extra bass of the im50 should fix this issue.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,413 of 3,060
After much testing I'm starting to think the im50 maybe a better option for walking and commuting. When I'm out and about I find the bass of my im70s gets a bit lost in the background noise, the extra bass of the im50 should fix this issue.

IM50 has only extra mid-bass which is punchier but lesser sub-bass extention.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,415 of 3,060
I've tried IM02 and Re400. Asuming that Re400 and Re600 have some similarities. I can say that none of those have that Grado sound signatures. Instead I can recommend you getting IM50/70 which sounds more Grado-ish.

If you want an IEM more which sounds more like a Grado you should better search for Ortofon eQ-5.

One thing I found recently: The Ortofon and IM02 frequency response graphs look very similar.
Take a peek here:
IM02: http://en.goldenears.net/49122
eQ-5: http://en.goldenears.net/13706

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,416 of 3,060
One thing I found recently: The Ortofon and IM02 frequency response graphs look very similar.
Take a peek here:
IM02: http://en.goldenears.net/49122
eQ-5: http://en.goldenears.net/13706

If you look at the graphs carefully, you will see eQ-5 has more of lower treble presence than IM02 and that little peaks on the graphs change the sound a lot. Needless to say they used Comply tips on eQ-5 which is not so good to pair with IMO. I don't trust that measurements, sorry.

They are both different IEMs.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,417 of 3,060
If you look at the graphs carefully, you will see eQ-5 has more of lower treble presence than IM02 and that little peaks on the graphs change the sound a lot. Needless to say they used Comply tips on eQ-5 which is not so good to pair with IMO. I don't trust that measurements, sorry.

They are both different IEMs.

Ah, I see.
How much would eartips change the sound? I have a bit of a preference for foam, so I'll probably be using the Complys more often.
Question: How does Amazon's return policy on stuff like this work? I'm considering just buying both and returning the lesser pair.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #1,418 of 3,060
Ah, I see.
How much would eartips change the sound? I have a bit of a preference for foam, so I'll probably be using the Complys more often.
Question: How does Amazon's return policy on stuff like this work? I'm considering just buying both and returning the lesser pair.

Yes, you can buy both and return the one you liked least. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,419 of 3,060

Yes, you can buy both and return the one you liked least. 

Thanks for your input.
Now I'm really stuck on the decision.
I found this review (http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/audio-technica-ath-ck90pro/) of the CK90Pro, which according to some is basically the same as the IM02, and this reviewer makes it sound like the IM02 aren't really as forward as I thought they'd be. The reviewer kept referencing the CK10 as brighter, but that model is apparently discontinued.
So then I looked into the Ortofon recommended toward the start of this mess. And it sounded like it'd be a good fit, but Amazon doesn't seem to have a distributor on their site that isn't shipping from Japan, which makes me afraid to buy them from there because A. I've been screwed over by unauthorized distributors before and B. I don't want to get screwed over on the warranty because I ordered from Japan. And then the official US store has them listed for $250, and I really didn't want to go over $200 on a new pair.

Hell, I might just order the Grado IEM from Amazon to see if I like the basic MA sound, return that, and go for the e-Q5.

(EDIT: Probably not going to buy the Grados now, since I have the EXACT same issue with them as I have with the Ortofons in that they're not on Amazon save for from Japanese sellers. Also, the 120 Ohm impedance is off-putting, since I'd rather not need an amp for my IEMs)

Also, question: Is Ortofon discontinuing the e-Q5? On their US site, it seems that they only have the red model listed as available. Something similar happened on the Atrio.me site when Future Sonics was canceling the Atrio.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,420 of 3,060
will be posting my long overdue impressions of the im01 soon. right now i can say that the left channel sounds louder than the right and is downright distracting. anyone have this issue with any of the other models in this line?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,421 of 3,060
  will be posting my long overdue impressions of the im01 soon. right now i can say that the left channel sounds louder than the right and is downright distracting. anyone have this issue with any of the other models in this line?

You sure its not a fit issue? I had a similar issue with my im02s where the vocals would come more from one side instead of being centered like they normally are. As far as i could tell it was something to do with the fit as sometimes they sounded normal and other times they didn't. They seem to have a shallower fit than other iems which could be part of the problem.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,423 of 3,060
Thanks chailee80. I havent really tip rolled with them yet, so ill try ti find a good set of tips.

@feralslash try using sony hybrids placed on the nozzle only half way. Sounds weird,but really gave me a nice fit and seal.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,424 of 3,060
Yeh I forgot to mention that the sony silicone tips are a decent alternative. I used the ones that came with my cheap ex100 pair, not sure if they're the same as the hybrids you mentioned but they have the red, green and orange sleeves to indicate the size.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,425 of 3,060
With the ATH-IM02 plugged into the headphone jack of my laptop and nothing playing, I hear a hiss sound. Like empty radio channel when u searching for stations, if u get what i mean. I have to turn the volume of the song higher than usual to drown out the sound. When starting up laptop, also got sounds.I dont get that the sound when its plugged into my iphone 5. 
With my headphones (Soundmagic HP-150), I dont hear that background sound.

How do i get rid of the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back