Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Dec 7, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,321 of 3,060
Hi guys, when I turn up and down the volume knob, there is quite a audible hiss on the left side of ATH-IM 02. It is not present on the right side of the same IEM.

The hiss only happens in the left side only when there is music playing and when I turn the volume knob up and down. If there is no music playing and I turn the volume knob, there is no hiss whatsoever on both sides.

I tried to change the cable with the replacement cable but the result is the same. My ATH-IM 02 is connected to Fiio E10K. 

Is this normal? 

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,322 of 3,060
  Hi guys, when I turn up and down the volume knob, there is quite a audible hiss on the left side of ATH-IM 02. It is not present on the right side of the same IEM.

The hiss only happens in the left side only when there is music playing and when I turn the volume knob up and down. If there is no music playing and I turn the volume knob, there is no hiss whatsoever on both sides.

I tried to change the cable with the replacement cable but the result is the same. My ATH-IM 02 is connected to Fiio E10K. 

Is this normal? 

Did you try to change the cable connectors, left to right- right to left? If the hiss still remains on the left side after changing, it could probably be the drivers on your left earpiece. If the hiss is moved to right side, the problem could be Fiio E10K volume pot or E10K alone.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,323 of 3,060
Hi ozkan, thanks for the prompt reply. I just tested the Fiio E10K with my brother's Shure SE215 and can confirm that the situation is the same. There is audible hiss in the left side but not the right side when turning the volume knob on E10K.

Does this fall under "defects in materials and materials" and would I be able to claim warranty through Fiio?

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,324 of 3,060
  Hi ozkan, thanks for the prompt reply. I just tested the Fiio E10K with my brother's Shure SE215 and can confirm that the situation is the same. There is audible hiss in the left side but not the right side when turning the volume knob on E10K.

Does this fall under "defects in materials and materials" and would I be able to claim warranty through Fiio?

Yes, exactly. If it is still under warranty, you can contact Fiio or the shop you purchased it from? Where did you buy it btw?

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,325 of 3,060

Yes, exactly. If it is still under warranty, you can contact Fiio or the shop you purchased it from? Where did you buy it btw?

The age of my E10K is less than a month. I bought it from an authorised dealer in Malaysia but it does not have a physical shop. So it might not be easy to claim warranty but I'll give it a try.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,326 of 3,060
  Beat Audio (http://www.beataudiocables.com/) now has connectors for the ATH-IMxx series. I just received a Silver Sonic MKV cable with an AK240 balanced 2.5mm plug. Can't wait to try it.

Wow... pricey 
blink.gif
 I was excited to see cables from other than Lunashop but then they cost more than my IM70 
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,327 of 3,060
  So is there a concensus or some idea of what the best tips are for the IM02? I'm using the larger single flange tips at the moment and they fit pretty well and sound nice. But I'm always open for more options. 

So far the Large Phonak tips give me the best seal with my IM03. plus you can buy all one size instead of having to buy assorted, getting only one pair of your size.

I ordered some Ortofon tips from B&H and they have been backordered for quite a while now.

getting a good solid seal is the hardest thing. the IM03 are great sounding to my ears.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,328 of 3,060
  Received them a few days ago. only had enough headtime for some first impressions so far. For me, the fit is actually a lot better than I thought it would be when using the comply tips. they seal really good and the isolate quite a bit. I haven't had to re-adjust them at all. I've slept in them as well, so thats a plus. Build quality is good. no areas of concern jumpin out yet. 

The sound so far seems to be a neutral one with a decent warm tilt. Bass is surprising for a single armature. It doesn't rumble, but it is quite punchy and provides a satisfying backbone to the music i've tried. Mids are of the Dry variety, so no fluid, smooth or lush mids, at least to my ears. But what i am hearing are clear and detailed mids. Treble is....ok. Its present and doesn't sound recessed or anything like that, but I do seem to detect some roll off that i wish extended a bit more. Overall presentation is musical and soundstage can be nice and wide. For a single armature, im pleased actually. i've certainly heard worse from single and even a dual or two...

Does it compare to My current champ, the pfe 132? cant tell yet. i will do some direct comparisons soon.  

So how have the 01s been treating you? I got a pair of pfe too, and am curious as to how they compare. BTW what is your source?

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,332 of 3,060
No more than $200.

That's sort of a tough area for a hip-hop/R&B fan. The CKR9 would get my vote for best upgrade but it might lack a little bass quantity for you (it's a tiny bit less than the IM50). The IM70 would fit the bill wonderfully, but it might be too close to your IM50. The CKR10 would probably be your best option but it's out of your sub $200 budget. I wouldn't recommend the IM02 or 01 for hip hop stuff. I guess CKR9 would be your best bet as a major upgrade depending on how much bass you like (the bass is amazing, just not very boomy. It's more tight and deep. For what it's worth, listening to Hip-hop, I don't miss a whole lot). The IM70 is a good upgrade, but again it might not be as big of an upgrade from the IM50 as you're looking for. You could also look at the CKS1000, if you need a lot more bass, but the other models I've mentioned seem to be more liked. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,333 of 3,060
That's sort of a tough area for a hip-hop/R&B fan. The CKR9 would get my vote for best upgrade but it might lack a little bass quantity for you (it's a tiny bit less than the IM50). The IM70 would fit the bill wonderfully, but it might be too close to your IM50. The CKR10 would probably be your best option but it's out of your sub $200 budget. I wouldn't recommend the IM02 or 01 for hip hop stuff. I guess CKR9 would be your best bet as a major upgrade depending on how much bass you like (the bass is amazing, just not very boomy. It's more tight and deep. For what it's worth, listening to Hip-hop, I don't miss a whole lot). The IM70 is a good upgrade, but again it might not be as big of an upgrade from the IM50 as you're looking for. You could also look at the CKS1000, if you need a lot more bass, but the other models I've mentioned seem to be more liked. 

I'm not looking for more bass, I would like to get another model that does not lack bass. For instance I had the SE215 and to me that lacked bass at least to me.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,334 of 3,060
Looking to eventually upgrade from the IM50. I mostly listen to Hip-Hop and R&B. Which model would be the most ideal upgrade?

No more than $200.

If you can throw a little more money, you can purchase Ckr10 for $235 from Amazon seller "J-Made" which I ordered my IM70. Seems like a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JFSFDO6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,335 of 3,060

If you can throw a little more money, you can purchase Ckr10 for $235 from Amazon seller "J-Made" which I ordered my IM70. Seems like a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JFSFDO6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Looks like all Japanese sellers drop CKR10 price to around $250 (they just play with a different shipping cost to attract more customers :wink:).  That is an insane deal!!!!!  CKR10 will definitely be an excellent upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back