Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,277 of 3,060
Looking to upgrade from the IM02.
The obvious step is the IM03 (I already own the A-T copper cable), but is there a better option? 
I really liked the sound signature of the IM02, but would like a larger soundstage, so I have been looking into portable over ear headphones, but have not found anything that I like yet.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,278 of 3,060
The obvious step is the IM03 (I already own the A-T copper cable), but is there a better option? 
I really liked the sound signature of the IM02, but would like a larger soundstage, so I have been looking into portable over ear headphones, but have not found anything that I like yet.

I thought the IM02 was airier and more open sounding than the IM03 so it gave the impression of being as big/or no advantage to the IM03 there. That and the signatures are not the same. IM03 is not that obvious the step :)

I read the UE900 is similar in signature but bigger sounding IIRC but the UE900 has issues.

Sounds like the ATH-MSR7 might be worth looking into as far as portable over ear cans.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #1,279 of 3,060
Ive been asking on here about the im01. No one really has anything to say about it, besides earfonia. I don't really know why, but that perticular model has just really grabbed my interest.

Despite having much in the way of insight, I just ordered a pair. I will be posting my impressions. I will be more than happy if it sounds as good as my PFE 132. If it sounds better, ive found my endgame! Heres hoping!

Received them a few days ago. only had enough headtime for some first impressions so far. For me, the fit is actually a lot better than I thought it would be when using the comply tips. they seal really good and the isolate quite a bit. I haven't had to re-adjust them at all. I've slept in them as well, so thats a plus. Build quality is good. no areas of concern jumpin out yet. 

The sound so far seems to be a neutral one with a decent warm tilt. Bass is surprising for a single armature. It doesn't rumble, but it is quite punchy and provides a satisfying backbone to the music i've tried. Mids are of the Dry variety, so no fluid, smooth or lush mids, at least to my ears. But what i am hearing are clear and detailed mids. Treble is....ok. Its present and doesn't sound recessed or anything like that, but I do seem to detect some roll off that i wish extended a bit more. Overall presentation is musical and soundstage can be nice and wide. For a single armature, im pleased actually. i've certainly heard worse from single and even a dual or two...

Does it compare to My current champ, the pfe 132? cant tell yet. i will do some direct comparisons soon.  

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #1,280 of 3,060

I would say that you should probably just go all in and get the IM04, seeing how the trend with upgrades usually goes.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,281 of 3,060
I would say that you should probably just go all in and get the IM04, seeing how the trend with upgrades usually goes.

I have the im02 and love the sound signature. Its very detailed, not overly bright and with adequate amount of bass punch. It can sound a bit dry with certain music genre, but with bass eq up a notch or two, it sounded more fun and engaging. I have im03 in mind but afraid that it will be more of a sidegrade than upgrade. Or should i just get the dunu2k. Dunu1k is amazing i must say.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,282 of 3,060
Anyone seen this cable...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technica-IM04-03-02-01-70-50-Silver-headphone-cable-1-3m-upgrade-/301378070552?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item462b886818

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,283 of 3,060
Found this too: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-earphone-detachable-cable-for-TF10-5PRO-W4R-UM3X-IE8-IE80-HD600-SR940-ER4P-K812-IM50/2035639020.html

Just ordered one myself for my IM70. Red and black like this 
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #1,285 of 3,060
I have struggled with the fit of the im02 with various stock tips since I've gotten it. Isolation is never great and they fall out reasonably easily compare to sony hybrids (who are simply not big enough for the im series for my ear). The headphone also seems to be slightly bass shy. I got a hold of my box of tips this weekend and I think I found a solution. Monster foam tips. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTip-Sampler-Starter/dp/B003TFEHMA

I assume most foam tip of the same density and size would work. The large silver foam provided much better seal while also making the bass hit a bit harder. The sound is almost ideal out of my phone now besides the searing treble, which is a quirk of my phone's mediocre audio chip. I just need to get past the mental hurdle of never eqing anything now to fix that.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,287 of 3,060
  I am currently look at the IM70 & the IM02, bother under $200. How are they compared to each other & which is best for all type of music. 

Haven't heard the IM02, but from what I can gather, the IM70 is bassier and funner, where the IM02 is lean and clinical. IM70 will be driven easily from anything and IM02 needs a good source and good quality audio. IM70 won't be nearly as detailed as the IM02. It depends on your source and your listening preferences. I'd think the IM70 would be the better all rounder given its bigger bass and natural mids. If you want something revealing and more analytical the IM02 would be what you want. You could also look into the CKR9 as a dynamic driver all rounder under $200. It's less bassy than the IM70 but just as fun and has a very nice sound suited to pretty much all genres. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,288 of 3,060
  I am currently look at the IM70 & the IM02, both under $200. How are they compared to each other & which is best for all type of music. 

I will be getting my IM70 hopefully tomorrow. They are sitting at the post office now. I can compare IM70 to IM02 (from memory) if you wish. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,290 of 3,060
  Hi, everyone. I'm currently using the IM02s.
Any ideas what should the next iem be? I prefer not to get CIEMs. 

Are you saying that you want to upgrade IM02 to something else?  Is there something specific you don't like about it or feel it's lacking?  Give us more info, like your price limit or music you are listening to or your audio source?  Speaking from a personal experience, my upgrade from IM02 was to IM03 because I wanted more bass and smoother top end with less source dependency.  Perhaps that would be the way to go for you as well.  Another one to consider is hybrids, like Fidue A83 where in addition to dual BA driver (like IM02) you get a dynamic driver to cover lower end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back