Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Nov 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,246 of 3,060
  Thanks. The uneven lower treble was an annoyance for me too, with my GR07 MkII. Any comparisons in the mid-bass and sub-bass, with the GR07?

There's more quantity in the 50 and 70. 50's bass is a bit more boomy and not as clean as the IM70, though the bass is very similar. IM70 reaches a bit lower than IM50, and about the same as the GR07. The difference is, there's more volume to the IM70 even though the GR07 reaches as low. Drums on the GR07 are so lean and the attack/decay is very tight. Much cleaner sounding in the low register than the midbassy IM50. The IM70 can't beat the GR07 in terms of drums and bass detail, but they perform almost as well. Not more than a slight disadvantage.   

In terms of the IM50 (with auvio tips) vs Gr07 (with stock tips), the GR07 has it licked in detail, texture, layering, separation, etc, etc. The IM50 has the advantage in bass quantity, vocal presentation, and smoother treble. Everything on the GR07 feels more refined, as you'd expect, as well as more aggressive in the treble. As others have mentioned this is where the GR07 could bother someone, especially if treble sensitive. The mids are more forward on the IM50, though a little more detailed in the GR07. The IM50 feels slightly imbalanced at times, but rarely anything that you'd really notice without listening for it.  Stage wise, the IM50 has a little more depth to it, but isn't as wide as the GR07. I would say the GR07 feels more natural, though the IM50 is still very much natural sounding. 

The IM70 is much more of a match for the GR07. As said before, the bass is more controlled than the IM50, though again not quite as tight as the GR07. Switching back and forth, the IM70 sounds boomy in comparison, but once you get used to the signature, you can hear plenty of detail. Not as clean on the attack and decay, but never blurs into the rest of the signature, and again, it's right there in terms of quality, even if not quite as refined. Mids are again more forward than the GR07 and sound absolutely heavenly. Highs are about the same as the IM50, again smoother than the GR07. Very nice treble texture and detail without the harshness the GR07 can exhibit. One glaring advantage the IM70 has over the GR07 is in terms of its soundstage and image. IM70 is not as wide, but much more 3D which adds a lot of depth and separation to instruments. Height is also very impressive and more noticeable than any of the IEMs I've yet heard. At this point the IM70 has replaced my GR07 and BE as my main headphone. It took some time to adjust to the bassier signature (still wouldn't call it a basshead phone), but the soundstage and naturalness of the IM70s won me over. The VSonics are a small bit more detailed, and have tighter bass, but overall I fell in love with the IM70 for the reasons stated above. It's the middle ground of the VSD3 and GR07 I've been looking for. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,247 of 3,060

Please try to find some UE tips for your IM70. You will be rewarded with great definition :)

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,249 of 3,060
  The VSonics are a small bit more detailed, and have tighter bass, but overall I fell in love with the IM70 for the reasons stated above. It's the middle ground of the VSD3 and GR07 I've been looking for. 

Nice impression!

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,250 of 3,060
Glad people liked the impressions. I noticed the IM70 didn't have a presence in Head-Gear despite several impressions on the forums. I thought I'd write up a review since I liked them so much. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-im70-dual-symphonic-drivers-in-ear-headphones/reviews/11923

(Odd that they have the wrong listing from Amazon there. I'd hope people wouldn't pay $349 for it. 
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,253 of 3,060
UE600 tips.

Can you show me the link for ue600 tips? Ive been lookin around and been finding generic tips ;not sure if they are right because the ue600 tips seem to have longer nozzle. By providing the link, it'll help other frustated im50/70 users finding the right tips as you suggested :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,254 of 3,060
Can you show me the link for ue600 tips? Ive been lookin around and been finding generic tips ;not sure if they are right because the ue600 tips seem to have longer nozzle. By providing the link, it'll help other frustated im50/70 users finding the right tips as you suggested
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the tips that came with my UE600 so I don't have any idea where you can find them seperately. I also have UE100 tips but they are a bit different. Maybe you can check the tips that comes with UE200 which are cheap. They can be similar to UE600 tips except color. If someone who has both UE200/600 tips can answer this.

I guess these could be the same tips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-350vi-Noise-Isolating-Headset-Earphones-for-iPhone-iPod-/231312891776?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item35db529f80

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,255 of 3,060
Thanks God, the UE 200 comes with another pair of medium so definitely will try those. I think Sony hybrids tips on IM70 don't work for me because using the tips makes the earphone stick out farther. Somebody in ATH-IM70 department definitely needs to shorten the nozzle! But anyhow thanks for the hint.

By the way, does the UE 600/200 tips go all the way through the nozzle? 

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,256 of 3,060
I got the hybrids and MH1 which are even harder to fit, but they take some work. They can be put all the way down, just be careful as it takes some effort. That being said, I prefer the Auvio tips. I don't know if Radio Shack still sells them but they're pretty great on the IM70.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,257 of 3,060
  Thanks God, the UE 200 comes with another pair of medium so definitely will try those. I think Sony hybrids tips on IM70 don't work for me because using the tips makes the earphone stick out farther. Somebody in ATH-IM70 department definitely needs to shorten the nozzle! But anyhow thanks for the hint.

By the way, does the UE 600/200 tips go all the way through the nozzle? 

I think it is not about the lenght but the shape of the nozzle. Somehow its angled shape doesn't allow the tips go further like Ety ER4S or HF5. 

No, it doesn't go all the way through nozzle.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,258 of 3,060
Can you show me the link for ue600 tips? Ive been lookin around and been finding generic tips ;not sure if they are right because the ue600 tips seem to have longer nozzle. By providing the link, it'll help other frustated im50/70 users finding the right tips as you suggested
smily_headphones1.gif

You should also try UE900 tips, those are my favorite.  You can get it for $10 + shipping from Logitech: http://support.logitech.com/product/10149 look at the bottom, they have scrolling choices of various spare parts.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,259 of 3,060

I think it is not about the lenght but the shape of the nozzle. Somehow its angled shape doesn't allow the tips go further like Ety ER4S or HF5. 

No, it doesn't go all the way through nozzle.

You should also try UE900 tips, those are my favorite.  You can get it for $10 + shipping from Logitech: http://support.logitech.com/product/10149 look at the bottom, they have scrolling choices of various spare parts.

Well it actually is! I meant it goes all the way down thanks for the picture! The UE 900 tips is too expensive though; I had to pay $10 and all I need is medium tips. At the same price (including shipping), I can buy UE200 from Amazon, including two pairs of medium tips.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,260 of 3,060

Well it actually is! I meant it goes all the way down thanks for the picture! The UE 900 tips is too expensive though; I had to pay $10 and all I need is medium tips. At the same price (including shipping), I can buy UE200 from Amazon, including two pairs of medium tips.

Well, I'm not sure they are identical to UE600 tips though. From the picture in my previous post UE350 tips looks identical. 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back