Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #481 of 3,060
My first listen to my IM70's (travelling on bus) and I have to say, I really like these :smile:

I would describe it as very full sounding and smooth. A really powerful sound. It is on another level to my CKN70's which is what I was expecting. Build quality is better than what I was expecting, much better cable than the CKN70 which isn't hard lol. These are even easier to drive than the CKN70 which I was pleasantly surprised at.

I won't go into any more detail because other members have covered the bases. I'm using the stock tips as I tried the Sony Hybrids on them but couldn't get a good fit/seal. Isolation is good for me with the stock tips.

If anyone has any more questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #482 of 3,060
My IM02s are like that too, although I hadn't noticed it until I checked just now.

X2
my im70 is very well secure w no visible seam or gap between cable n iem. Of all e iems w removable cables I have owned...this is one that u never have to or bother to check encomnectors as they r so sturdy that I dont think then will ever come off unintentionally.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #483 of 3,060
After doing some a/b comparisons using the new Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2 cable I am simply amazed.

Cable can be found here: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

I used the cable on both the Sony NW-ZX1 that I recently acquired and my iBasso HDP-R10.
The earphones were the IM02 and the IM03. If someone wants to send me the IM04, I would be more than happy to add it to my impressions.

With the IM03, the HDC5 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.
With the IM02, the neutral sound continues, but bass is improved. Highs get a tad more sparkly, bigger soundstage overall, and details are further brought out.  
The biggest difference seems to be on the IM03, it really makes these go up another step in audio quality. The change is good on the IM02 as well, but not as drastic, you get more detail and a slightly more open sound.
With either earphone, I recommend this cable, but only if you like a bright signature, because this will make your high’s more sparkly, perhaps to sparkly for some.
 If you prefer a darker soundstage, stick to the IM03, and call it a day.

Especially with the IM03, if you like a bright sound full of detail, but the better low end reproduction of the IM03, then this cable is really a must. With the IM02, the neutral sound is made slightly brighter and details are improved.

Myself, I'm keeping the cable on the IM03, and the stock on the IM02.

Cheers.  

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #484 of 3,060
... With the IM03, the HDC3 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.
The biggest difference seems to be on the IM03, it really makes these go up another step in audio quality. The change is good on the IM02 as well, but not as drastic, you get more detail and a slightly more open sound. With either earphone, I recommend this cable, but only if you like a bright signature, because this will make your high’s more sparkly, perhaps to sparkly for some.

By darker soundstage, do you mean a warmer/less bright sound signature?  I used a replacement cable (FiiO's RC-SE1) on my W40 and it had a similar effect of adding more sparkle at the top and making sound brighter (I guess an effect of OFC cable purity).  But in comparison to W40, my IM03 is already bright enough for my taste, though it still has a warm sound signature.  I actually really appreciate your feedback since I was debating about getting this cable from accessoryjack, but wasn't sure what to expect.  If there is no significant improvement in low end, not that IM03 need any but maybe more details, then I will stick with a current balanced brightness of the stock IM03 :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #485 of 3,060

By darker soundstage, do you mean a warmer/less bright sound signature?  I used a replacement cable (FiiO's RC-SE1) on my W40 and it had a similar effect of adding more sparkle at the top and making sound brighter (I guess an effect of OFC cable purity).  But in comparison to W40, my IM03 is already bright enough for my taste, though it still has a warm sound signature.  I actually really appreciate your feedback since I was debating about getting this cable from accessoryjack, but wasn't sure what to expect.  If there is no significant improvement in low end, not that IM03 need any but maybe more details, then I will stick with a current balanced brightness of the stock IM03 :)

Yes, that is what I mean.
As I said above the cable adds brightness of the IM03, and does add detail. I like the extra detail and the brightness that doesn't sacrifice the excellent low end that these have.
However, I can understand not wanting to mess with a good thing.
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #486 of 3,060
  After doing some a/b comparisons using the new Sony AT-HDC5/1.2 cable I am simply amazed.

Cable can be found here: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

I used the cable on both the Sony NW-ZX1 that I recently acquired and my iBasso HDP-R10.
The earphones were the IM02 and the IM03. If someone wants to send me the IM04, I would be more than happy to add it to my impressions.

With the IM03, the HDC3 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.
With the IM02, the neutral sound continues, but bass is improved. Highs get a tad more sparkly, bigger soundstage overall, and details are further brought out.  
The biggest difference seems to be on the IM03, it really makes these go up another step in audio quality. The change is good on the IM02 as well, but not as drastic, you get more detail and a slightly more open sound.
With either earphone, I recommend this cable, but only if you like a bright signature, because this will make your high’s more sparkly, perhaps to sparkly for some.

Especially with the IM03, if you like a bright sound full of detail, but the better low end reproduction of the IM03, then this cable is really a must. With the IM02, the neutral sound is made slightly brighter and details are improved.

Cheers.  

There's a typo at the top, cable is AT not Sony.

Thanks for the right up, I don't think I want more brightness in the IM02. For $100 it would need to be amazing. 
It'll be interesting if some DIYers start making cables. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #487 of 3,060
  There's a typo at the top, cable is AT not Sony.

Thanks for the right up, I don't think I want more brightness in the IM02. For $100 it would need to be amazing. 
It'll be interesting if some DIYers start making cables. 

Thanks for catching the typo.
I also said C3 at one point, should be C5 cable.

I didn't think the cable added that much to the IM02, did give it more detail more than anything else. I thought the bigger difference was really the IM03.
 With the IM02, the neutral sound continues, but bass is improved. Highs get a tad more sparkly, bigger sound stage overall, and details are further brought out.

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #488 of 3,060
  After doing some a/b comparisons using the new Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2 cable I am simply amazed.

With the IM03, the HDC5 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.

Cheers.  

Thanks for catching the typo.
I also said C3 at one point, should be C5 cable.

I didn't think the cable added that much to the IM02, did give it more detail more than anything else. I thought the bigger difference was really the IM03.

Noted. To the point, and useful impression!  Thank you!

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #490 of 3,060
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #492 of 3,060
  My IM02s are like that too, although I hadn't noticed it until I checked just now.

Well, I noticed it while demoing the IM50.
That doesn't stop me from buying it though!
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #494 of 3,060
Be wary of audio technica's new dual driver series.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/712460/new-audio-technica-ckr-series-ckr10-ckr9-ckr7

The ath-ckr9 and ath-ckr10s are their dual drivers that will be released in april 25.

The ath-ckr7 and below are single dynamic drivers, and these should be upgrades to the original ckm series.
ph34r.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #495 of 3,060
Been listening to my new IM03s. These sound fantastic. Definitely the finest AT earphone I have ever owned..These compliment my FX850 so well.. Though I am interested in the upgraded cable I think I will save that cash and see how them CKR phones come out.  Can't wait to try out my new DX90 with these..Very happy with the IM03. Thanks for the impressions fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back