Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Apr 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #496 of 3,060
  Been listening to my new IM03s. These sound fantastic. Definitely the finest AT earphone I have ever owned..These compliment my FX850 so well.. Though I am interested in the upgraded cable I think I will save that cash and see how them CKR phones come out.  Can't wait to try out my new DX90 with these..Very happy with the IM03. Thanks for the impressions fellas.

The IM03 is the best of the new series given out by AT (currently) I have heard so far in my opinion. Have demoed all of them except the IM04 & IM70 though.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #497 of 3,060
Hi folks,long time no see.
been very busy lately,hopefully they didn`t canceled my account :)

My last earphone stopped working on the left earpiece,so i guess i am on my way to find a new toy.
Of course i would like to get a 1K custom earphones,but money is always short,hehe.

I use to enjoy a basic natural sound with an little emphasized bass,more punchy a tight than bloomy and exaggerated,which help me in enjoying doublekick drums and bass guitar a little more pronounced,mostly Rock and (Death) Metal.
Even if i do not know if the GR07 could be considered similar sounding than the ATM-im70,which one would you prefer over my preferences?I have to bore with my question as i live in a place where there is no way to test those two phones without buying them from Japan or China...

Thanks much guys.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #498 of 3,060
  After doing some a/b comparisons using the new Audio Technica AT-HDC5/1.2 cable I am simply amazed.

Cable can be found here: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

I used the cable on both the Sony NW-ZX1 that I recently acquired and my iBasso HDP-R10.
The earphones were the IM02 and the IM03. If someone wants to send me the IM04, I would be more than happy to add it to my impressions.

With the IM03, the HDC5 cable gives it a brighter sound, with better detail.  Lows are still there, but not as upfront, highs are brought out.
With the IM02, the neutral sound continues, but bass is improved. Highs get a tad more sparkly, bigger soundstage overall, and details are further brought out.  
The biggest difference seems to be on the IM03, it really makes these go up another step in audio quality. The change is good on the IM02 as well, but not as drastic, you get more detail and a slightly more open sound.
With either earphone, I recommend this cable, but only if you like a bright signature, because this will make your high’s more sparkly, perhaps to sparkly for some.
 If you prefer a darker soundstage, stick to the IM03, and call it a day.

Especially with the IM03, if you like a bright sound full of detail, but the better low end reproduction of the IM03, then this cable is really a must. With the IM02, the neutral sound is made slightly brighter and details are improved.

Myself, I'm keeping the cable on the IM03, and the stock on the IM02.

Cheers.  

Best impressions I've heard so far on the effects of the cable. Seems like the cable would be really good for both the IM04 and IM70 as well.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #499 of 3,060
I just received the IM70 this week and oppositely, I dislike the cable.  Thickest cable ever in my collection - thicker than the Vsonic GR07 but good thing far more supple than GR07's. the cable has to be put in the back of my body instead of front body, according to the instruction; Otherwise, it'd be very uncomfortable. But dang, first time having this mold-able cable thingie and don't like it as well. I doubt I'd get any IEM that has cable like that.

Also, isolation is....subpar. It's as equal as that shallow-fitting Xiaomi Piston ($20). Any good tips y'all could recommend?

Edit. Goodness, this is thickest over-the-ear IEM I've ever had. 

It may look small....

compared to westone, IM70 looks slightly shorter in length

But Goddam, IM70 is thicker!

But No, It's actually nearly 2x thicker! (top : um3x, bottom: W4)

Even FXT90, a double driver, seemed slimmer than IM70

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #501 of 3,060
Wow I'm really surprised you don't like the cable as I think it's excellent. It is much much better than the horrible CKN70 cable (which isn't hard I suppose!). Surely a thick cable is a good thing?

Being thick means it's heavy, heavier than my V-Moda vibrato's cable and the GR07's. I feel my ears being tugged down by its weight and the colossal size of the IEM. I had to put an earphone clip onto the cable to support the weight but the cable is extremely thick so I broke some earphone clips, luckily the last one fits . http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-Cell-phone-Cable-Cord-Wire-Clip-Nip-Holder-/160931800368

I'd say JVC has the best cable of all. Supple, not overly thick, does not cause crazy microphonic when worn down, and importantly, lightweight. FXT90, FXD80Z, and FXC51 are equipped with the best cable in my collection. Yamaha's EPH-100 is also my favorite; lightweight, tough ( been 2 years and remains alive), and slight memory cable in a good way.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #502 of 3,060
  Being thick means it's heavy, heavier than my V-Moda vibrato's cable and the GR07's. I feel my ears being tugged down by its weight and the colossal size of the IEM. I had to put an earphone clip onto the cable to support the weight but the cable is extremely thick so I broke some earphone clips, luckily the last one fits . http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-Cell-phone-Cable-Cord-Wire-Clip-Nip-Holder-/160931800368

I'd say JVC has the best cable of all. Supple, not overly thick, does not cause crazy microphonic when worn down, and importantly, lightweight. FXT90, FXD80Z, and FXC51 are equipped with the best cable in my collection. Yamaha's EPH-100 is also my favorite; lightweight, tough ( been 2 years and remains alive), and slight memory cable in a good way.

Then came the fx850

FAT strain relief

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #503 of 3,060
  I just received the IM70 this week and oppositely, I dislike the cable.  Thickest cable ever in my collection - thicker than the Vsonic GR07 but good thing far more supple than GR07's. the cable has to be put in the back of my body instead of front body, according to the instruction; Otherwise, it'd be very uncomfortable. But dang, first time having this mold-able cable thingie and don't like it as well. I doubt I'd get any IEM that has cable like that.

Also, isolation is....subpar. It's as equal as that shallow-fitting Xiaomi Piston ($20). Any good tips y'all could recommend?

Edit. Goodness, this is thickest over-the-ear IEM I've ever had. 

Gandasaputra,

It seems that the IM70 is not a monster isolator.
As you own the GR07 too,would you mind to say a few points about the sounding difference between the two`s?
I am looking forward to buy one of those two earphones,but i don`t have any reference around here..
At the moment it seems that the GR07 still a better overall earphone,with maybe a less pronounced low end frequency the the AT.correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks man

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #504 of 3,060

Gandasaputra,

At the moment it seems that the GR07 still a better overall earphone,with maybe a less pronounced low end frequency the the AT.correct me if i am wrong.

I will compare those two later since I am busy writing a lab report this weekend.

The GR07 sound is dependent on tips though. With Sony hybrid tips, the bass is more pronounced: punchy, slightly boomy (not bass-head Lv. but in a good way) and sub-bass is more audible. On the stock tips, I remember the sound is like your description; balanced but the treble could be little bright. I prefer the sony hybrid over the stock tips.

Regardless, I vote GR07's as 2nd worst cable next to MH1C's since the cable is nearly as thick and heavy as ATH's but it's springy making it difficult to be worn over the ear - ironically GR07 can only be worn over the ear. You'll have to move the chin slider up to your neck but I don't like it because it chokes me. Since it was pain in the ass I recabled with BTG's cable ( paid 70 bucks); the problem is solved and now it's comfortable to be used. I cannot recommend GR07 just because of the cable....so if you wanna try that out be my guest. 

Overall after intense burn-in, GR07 is smoother earphones with great details, soundstage, and imaging. It's very comfortable after being recabled and isolation is average. I will tell y'all how to improve the IM70 comfort and isolation after a night of selecting the right tips. The stock tips are dookies. My preferred now is the Philip's SHE3590 medium sized and will try out the radioshack's silicon medium tips.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #505 of 3,060
Thanks man,eager to see your comparison.
Antonio

I will probably spend some money after the IM70,but i guess longer will be the search for the perfect tips...hehe

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #506 of 3,060
  Thanks man,eager to see your comparison.
Antonio

I will probably spend some money after the IM70,but i guess longer will be the search for the perfect tips...hehe

If you can avoid from ear wax and hair and believe you can use it with extra care, you should remove the filter to see how great they are 
wink.gif
  That is how I am using my IM50s for about two weeks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #507 of 3,060
 If you can avoid from ear wax and hair and believe you can use it with extra care, you should remove the filter to see how great they are :wink:   That is how I am using my IM50s for about two weeks.

You reverted back to using it with the filters on? I ripped my filter accidentally lol. Without the filter on, the clarity improved slightly but the treble however maybe a little harsh in certain tracks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #508 of 3,060
I will compare those two later since I am busy writing a lab report this weekend.

The GR07 sound is dependent on tips though. With Sony hybrid tips, the bass is more pronounced: punchy, slightly boomy (not bass-head Lv. but in a good way) and sub-bass is more audible. On the stock tips, I remember the sound is like your description; balanced but the treble could be little bright. I prefer the sony hybrid over the stock tips.

Regardless, I vote GR07's as 2nd worst cable next to MH1C's since the cable is nearly as thick and heavy as ATH's but it's springy making it difficult to be worn over the ear - ironically GR07 can only be worn over the ear. You'll have to move the chin slider up to your neck but I don't like it because it chokes me. Since it was pain in the ass I recabled with BTG's cable ( paid 70 bucks); the problem is solved and now it's comfortable to be used. I cannot recommend GR07 just because of the cable....so if you wanna try that out be my guest. 

Overall after intense burn-in, GR07 is smoother earphones with great details, soundstage, and imaging. It's very comfortable after being recabled and isolation is average. I will tell y'all how to improve the IM70 comfort and isolation after a night of selecting the right tips. The stock tips are dookies. My preferred now is the Philip's SHE3590 medium sized and will try out the radioshack's silicon medium tips.

That ain't the first time I've seen them tips mentioned positively. I might have to look into buying that IEM (which is very cheap) just for the tips. Can you tell me what those tips do to the sound on the IM70?

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the stock tips? I tried Sony Hybrids on them but they don't give me a good seal. I was in a minority in liking the stock CKN70 tips too though lol :D

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #509 of 3,060
There is no harshness or any hint of sibilance on my IM50s so far. The best part is you can try this and go back to filters on mode if you don't like the sound. Without the filters the clarity improved and the bass is clearer and faster. IMHO the filters give a little bit veil to the mids and also the stock tips. You have nothing to loose to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back