Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 16, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,131 of 3,060
Thanks.

I would like a less stiff, more comfortable cable than the one you linked to. This LunaShop one was started to appeal to me. It's beginning to soften, and fall into shape better.

You know that LunaShop has an OCC cable, right?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4257

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2,132 of 3,060
How has is his shipping, really? And can you upgrade it?

That cable looks awful, and awkward. Does it feel better than it looks?

It's really bad! Think of a really stiff hard annoying wire. The sonic improvements are barely there as well. And I've asked them to show me proof that it is in fact "7N OCC" some sort of a certification from the copper supplier and never got a response. You can also buy the same wire on ali baba. 

The real improvement to my ears is the OFC upgrade from AT. Not only is it really comfy since it's more supple than the original cable, but the low end improved somewhat. The claimed "7N" OCC wire has the best sparkle to the highs but it takes away from the low end. And honestly, it's just a pain in the butt to use. You can't even wrap it around your player because it becomes a tangled mess. Any time you do wrap it, you have to carefully and specially unwrap it since it retains any little twist or curve, it will never be perfectly straight. 

I;ve eventually become accustomed to the "memory" wire around ear for the AT upgrade cable so that's not a problem anymore.

And I want to add to the "feel" part. No, mine does not feel better than it looks. In fact, since the wire retains any little curve, sometimes it will wrap itself around my chin, or touch my neck when I'm sitting, or do all sorts of weird things. And mine didn't come with the little rubber things around the ear curve part (have no idea why). The wire is so thin it actually hurts the back of my ear if I move it around or pull slightly on it, like it's cutting into the back of my ear. 

OK sorry for being so graphic and ranting....... I just wish they made this cable much less stiff....

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #2,133 of 3,060
To be honest, I've become very comfortable with the memory wire and standard cable. I ordered the LunaShop one around 40 days ago... only just got it.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,135 of 3,060
Actually this cable too doesn't have any type of certifications, and I don't think if there is any agency just to certify certain cables purity...perhap you want to start one...lol.

Anyways, I can only judge it with my ears. The sonic improvements are definitely, and jaw dropping. Especially the spaciousness of the IM04. Then the energy, it became more linear which further improve the soundstage, and then the tonality it became more transparency yet warmth but not as in stock form, the warmth in here is relaxing, tight, accurate bass in each beats. The bass is super accurate, punchy, meaty, clean. One thing to note though

Before the cables it sounds more realistic with it string and wind instruments, but the spaciousness in each band spectrum and specially in the MID + LOW was kind of compressed and too close together. I think this was what making it sounded warmer.

After the cables it sounds more Balanced Amatures. I said this before if you love Im03 in stock form, you will love Im04 with upgraded cables. I know I did as the 03 was so revealing that I had a hard time leaving mistake and errors in the recording, with 04 and the cables it still present, but less in your face and while still being revealing.

I was skeptical about cables before, but since ATH make this cables detatchable and then selling upgraded cables....there had to be a reason. I was just not ready to spend 200-250$ on another stock cables from them...so I went and seek down this cables.

I wish if there were more people with upgraded cable for 04 can speak up, as I don't want my impressions to turned into your disappointment. But as a headfier I want to share my experiences :)

****AlSO**** my plug is a balanced 3.5 TRRS. Could this be the uses of the plug and ZX2 hybrid balanced out ? Or the cables itself ? But a sure thing is that I "LOVE" them and the sonic improvement.

Again, the cables is stiff, but not that bad, and for what it trade off and the sonic improvements. It is worth it.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,136 of 3,060
I'm seriously considering this one here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-8N-OCC-Silver-Cable-For-ATH-IM50-ATH-IM70-ATH-IM01-IM04-Carbon-Connector-/231518469204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7937c54&rmvSB=true

Looks like it might be more to my tastes, as far as make and fit.

I know you think Silver-plated is bad, but everyone else, including Twister, seems to think it's good. So I don't know what to believe.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,137 of 3,060
I'm seriously considering this one here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-8N-OCC-Silver-Cable-For-ATH-IM50-ATH-IM70-ATH-IM01-IM04-Carbon-Connector-/231518469204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7937c54&rmvSB=true

Looks like it might be more to my tastes, as far as make and fit.

I know you think Silver-plated is bad, but everyone else, including Twister, seems to think it's good. So I don't know what to believe.

Try it out as I would love to hear from your experiences as well. I read into different articles of these cables before, but one thing mainly that told me to go for pure material was because of Omhs Law. Two of different resistance will average to be higher than one pure one in a series connection. So silver plated are two elements bend into one, so the conductivity from Z standpoint is less conducting than one and of pure single element.

But either ways, I am very interested to see how it performs for ya, if you chose to go with it.

Oh, and also I chose copper from Sony design point of ZX2. They stated that Copper has the best balanced sound and yet with a warmth touch. I love both of those aspect :xf_eek:

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #2,142 of 3,060
IM02 or Fidue A73 (really any iem under about $200) which has better treble detail, seperation, and clarity? I'm coming from GR07 BE if that helps.

CKR9/CKR10/IM02.

Just got my IM02 yesterday and loved the soundstage and the detail of it. I dont have golden ears or look into much detail but i really loved the clarity of it

I listen to musicals (phantom, les mis) some korean ballads as well as pop music. Very happy with my purchase, coming from a klipsch r6.

Will try to do a impression post soon!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2,143 of 3,060
Actually this cable too doesn't have any type of certifications, and I don't think if there is any agency just to certify certain cables purity...perhap you want to start one...lol.

Anyways, I can only judge it with my ears. The sonic improvements are definitely, and jaw dropping. Especially the spaciousness of the IM04. Then the energy, it became more linear which further improve the soundstage, and then the tonality it became more transparency yet warmth but not as in stock form, the warmth in here is relaxing, tight, accurate bass in each beats. The bass is super accurate, punchy, meaty, clean. One thing to note though

Before the cables it sounds more realistic with it string and wind instruments, but the spaciousness in each band spectrum and specially in the MID + LOW was kind of compressed and too close together. I think this was what making it sounded warmer.

After the cables it sounds more Balanced Amatures. I said this before if you love Im03 in stock form, you will love Im04 with upgraded cables. I know I did as the 03 was so revealing that I had a hard time leaving mistake and errors in the recording, with 04 and the cables it still present, but less in your face and while still being revealing.

I was skeptical about cables before, but since ATH make this cables detatchable and then selling upgraded cables....there had to be a reason. I was just not ready to spend 200-250$ on another stock cables from them...so I went and seek down this cables.

I wish if there were more people with upgraded cable for 04 can speak up, as I don't want my impressions to turned into your disappointment. But as a headfier I want to share my experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

****AlSO**** my plug is a balanced 3.5 TRRS. Could this be the uses of the plug and ZX2 hybrid balanced out ? Or the cables itself ? But a sure thing is that I "LOVE" them and the sonic improvement.

Again, the cables is stiff, but not that bad, and for what it trade off and the sonic improvements. It is worth it.

You know, one had to be licensed in order to produce OCC copper. It had a patent (since expired). 

What I mean is: Does this copper come from a copper manufacturer such as Furukawa Electric or someone who can authenticate grade certification, or did the seller grab some copper from the local junkyard? There aren't many places in the world producing OCC copper.

And I'm pretty sure there is no way to test beyond 99.999 ... so saying it is 6N, 7N, 8N is kind of.... the only manufacturers actually claiming such purity sell their copper for scientific purposes, many times at a cost more than the cost of gold. There are only so many places in the world that can and will test for this kind of purity.

But I do see the wire you have is different from mine. The tubing alone around the ear portions is a major plus. Like I said, the stiff wire I have cuts into my ears! And sometimes it kind of "floats" around my ears. It really is a terrible cable comfort wise. 

If you're hearing the sound improvements that's all that matters. All I'm saying, let us all take "7N" claims with a grain of salt. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #2,144 of 3,060
You know, one had to be licensed in order to produce OCC copper. It had a patent (since expired). 

What I mean is: Does this copper come from a copper manufacturer such as Furukawa Electric or someone who can authenticate grade certification, or did the seller grab some copper from the local junkyard? There aren't many places in the world producing OCC copper.

And I'm pretty sure there is no way to test beyond 99.999 ... so saying it is 6N, 7N, 8N is kind of.... the only manufacturers actually claiming such purity sell their copper for scientific purposes, many times at a cost more than the cost of gold. There are only so many places in the world that can and will test for this kind of purity.

But I do see the wire you have is different from mine. The tubing alone around the ear portions is a major plus. Like I said, the stiff wire I have cuts into my ears! And sometimes it kind of "floats" around my ears. It really is a terrible cable comfort wise. 

If you're hearing the sound improvements that's all that matters. All I'm saying, let us all take "7N" claims with a grain of salt. 

Agreed, the reason why I didn't even bother trying out their silver cable of 5 OCC quality. If I was gonna drop 200$ or so, I would drop it toward ATH already. Also I chose to go with it for a customized TRRS plug toward IM-04 as ATH doesn't have any Balanced 3.5mm.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,145 of 3,060
I'm finding the IM03 stays in place much longer without memory wire, than with it. At least, compared to the stock cable. I think the memory wire was helping to dislodge the IEM when the muscles in my skull moved. With the Lunashop cable, I can do anything with my head or face and the IEM stays in. Sneezing is just about the only thing that might require a re-seat afterward.

PS. In case you are still wondering. I kept the IM03 and returned the 04. I've continued with the Spiral Tips, and the sound is spectacular. No peaky-ness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back