Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 12, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,101 of 3,060
I've been using the X5 Classic for the past few weeks. Today I tried the IM03 with the X3ii again. This pairing was the breaking point that caused me to return the 03s before. And sure enough, even with the UE tips, it sounded pretty bad on some tracks. This time, though, I think I understand why. The X3ii is less warm, more neutral than the X5 Classic. So the IM03 is at it's most peaky and sibilant. It was even worse last time when I had on the Sony Hybrids with spacers.

The X5 has a more spacious, refined sound, on every headphone I've paired it with. But the second gen FiiO DAPs are certainly more neutral, and perhaps more detailed, due to more highs. I wonder if the perfect pairing wouldn't be the IM04 with the X5ii. Unfortunately, I won't be buying an X5ii anytime soon, so I can't know for sure.

With the gear I have today, the X5 Classic-->IM03 & UE tips seems to be the optimal setup for my tastes.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,102 of 3,060
IM02 RECEIVED!!!

So, I'm lovin these IM02s. The bass is not dissapointing at all! I love how clean and crisp it is. I'm looking into upping the low end just a bit through the Spotify equalizer and also the Dolby equalizer on my EQ. I'm not sure what my wavelength (i think thats the right term?) should look like. For now its like this: http://i.imgur.com/kRMG3Ni.png

Very satisfied with headphones! They've been comfortable until I wore them for 3 hours. Definitely had to take them out for a few minutes before putting them back in. I'm almost positive its a weight problem/too big tips. I'm using the Comply mediums because I love the foam. I guess I'll need to invest in some Comply smalls. 

Also I've heard of this problem before with the IMs so I'm not surprised is the hiss when plugged into my PC. The iPhone is just fine but the hiss is pretty loud when connected to the PC. Is there anything I can buy, like an adapter to fix this problem?

TLDR I love my IM02s so thank you to everyone here. I'm currently trying to make them more comfortable and get rid of hiss so I can love them even more!

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,103 of 3,060
Welp, took off the tips to put the Comply tips on my IM02s but now I cannot get any other tip on. None of the silicone tips will get back on the nozzle.It seems physically impossible as the IM02 has a ring at the end of the nozzle that is larger than the slot for the ear tip. It is incredibly frustrating and I can not find a way to fix this. Is it possible this is a manufacturer error? Or is my 3 hours of sleep truly getting to me?

PS I posted first impressions but has to go through mod since I'm new. Check back soon!

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,105 of 3,060
Welp, took off the tips to put the Comply tips on my IM02s but now I cannot get any other tip on. None of the silicone tips will get back on the nozzle.It seems physically impossible as the IM02 has a ring at the end of the nozzle that is larger than the slot for the ear tip. It is incredibly frustrating and I can not find a way to fix this. Is it possible this is a manufacturer error? Or is my 3 hours of sleep truly getting to me?

PS I posted first impressions but has to go through mod since I'm new. Check back soon!

They'll stretch. You must work them back on. Try not to put very much sideways pressure on the nozzle, though. It's strong, but I don't know how strong, you understand.

which UE tips you are using now?

The largest clear silicone tips. The ones that fit the 600s and so forth.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #2,106 of 3,060
aww man @Prime8NChief beat me to it, 

anyone has any impressions of the IM-02 with either SpinFits or Orthofons? or Monster Gel tips? 

what about IM-02 with HDC-5 cable? 

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #2,107 of 3,060
I'm currently using the im02 with a spinfit L

While I can't really tell if there is any sonic differences(maybe better bass due to the seal) , the comfort n seal I got from spinfit is awesome!

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,108 of 3,060
I'm currently using the im02 with a spinfit L

While I can't really tell if there is any sonic differences(maybe better bass due to the seal) , the comfort n seal I got from spinfit is awesome!

Imo, with a better seal comes with better bass response, and the Spinfit tips really do improve the fit. Not to discount comfort and seal from the Spinfits...

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #2,109 of 3,060
What is special about the Spinfits? They look more or less the same as the UE tips.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,110 of 3,060
They rotate in your ear canal to give you a better seal and fit. Not bad for a pair of silicones.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,111 of 3,060
The stem of spinfits is flexible. So they can 'move independently' than the tips.

If u commute/moving about and accidentally jerk/knock on the cable or iem the seal doesn't break. Well that's my experience so far.

Perfect seal everytime.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,113 of 3,060
These are interesting. I may have to try them.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #2,114 of 3,060
For those in Singapore, ive found out that jaben does carry them and a pack of 2 sets of Spinfits cost 29.00SGD 

Heres a link to their online shop

http://www.lazada.sg/jaben-pte-ltd/ 

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,115 of 3,060
  For those in Singapore, ive found out that jaben does carry them and a pack of 2 sets of Spinfits cost 29.00SGD 

Heres a link to their online shop

http://www.lazada.sg/jaben-pte-ltd/ 

When you buy directly in the store you get them for 20. 
And Treoo sold them (both types) recently for 25 SGD including worldwide free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back