Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jan 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #541 of 1,193

Congrats on the purchase! How are female vocals and bass on these? I sort of have a same preference as you - I like forward vocals (little brightness but not too much) and not too much bass. Still deciding between the CKR9 and CKR10 and find it quite difficult to choose...    

I'm sort of leaning on the 9's now though.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #542 of 1,193
Congrats on the purchase! How are female vocals and bass on these? I sort of have a same preference as you - I like forward vocals (little brightness but not too much) and not too much bass. Still deciding between the CKR9 and CKR10 and find it quite difficult to choose...    

I'm sort of leaning on the 9's now though.

Thanks! To be honest I'm really struggling with boomy midbass on these in some music (Jack Johnson and Beck for example). The midbass are just on the verge on what I can handle, unfortunately it does cross the limit on rare occasions and I just find myself waiting for it to happen. I don't get a very relaxed listening experience due to that. Vocals (both male and female) are just amazing, smooth without giving a feeling of lacking in extension. They way they sound now I wouldn't consider them a good allrounder for my preferences. I've probably tried twenty pairs of tips so far and the only ones that sounds really good to me (with all music) don't seal properly and hence makes isolation suffer. I feel like these are the perfect supliment to the Havi B3's since they excel were the B3's falls short but at this price I was hoping for a better allrounder.

It's really a shame because they're so close to being perfect for me. Some music (Morrissey and Pharell Williams) for example sound better than I've ever heard in am IEM before. I can see these being popular with EDM and other bassy music.

Please note that this is only after about 15 hours of playtime but I seriously doubt they they will change much more.

If you can wait please give me a couple of more days with them and see if my impressions changes.

If you need to make a decision now I would advise you to get the CKR9.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd want any significantly brighter sound though but I've got no idea how much brighter the 9's are.

Edit2: I just want to underline that the exaggerated mid bass is really only a problem occasionally. I'd say that it's about the same way that I feel that the B3's miss some bass impact occasionally if that makes sense. The subbass is probably the best I've heard in any IEM as well.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #543 of 1,193
Thanks! To be honest I'm really struggling with boomy midbass on these in some music (Jack Johnson and Beck for example). The midbass are just on the verge on what I can handle, unfortunately it does cross the limit on rare occasions and I just find myself waiting for it to happen. I don't get a very relaxed listening experience due to that. Vocals (both male and female) are just amazing, smooth without giving a feeling of lacking in extension. They way they sound now I wouldn't consider them a good allrounder for my preferences. I've probably tried twenty pairs of tips so far and the only ones that sounds really good to me (with all music) don't seal properly and hence makes isolation suffer. I feel like these are the perfect supliment to the Havi B3's since they excel were the B3's falls short but at this price I was hoping for a better allrounder.

It's really a shame because they're so close to being perfect for me. Some music (Morrissey and Pharell Williams) for example sound better than I've ever heard in am IEM before. I can see these being popular with EDM and other bassy music.

Please note that this is only after about 15 hours of playtime but I seriously doubt they they will change much more.

If you can wait please give me a couple of more days with them and see if my impressions changes.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd want any significantly brighter sound though but I've got no idea how much brighter the 9's are.

Edit2: I just want to underline that the exaggerated mid bass is really only a problem occasionally. I'd say that it's about the same way that I feel that the B3's miss some bass impact occasionally if that makes sense. The subbass is probably the best I've heard in any IEM as well.

Peter, do you have JVC Spiral dot tips?  That helps with mid-bass and makes lower mids a bit leaner.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #544 of 1,193
Peter, do you have JVC Spiral dot tips?  That helps with mid-bass and makes lower mids a bit leaner.

Yeah I sure do, both small and medium doesn't help enough I'm afraid. I'm gonna burn them more and then go for another round with tips.

Don't get me wrong though, these are really a great IEM's it just irritates me that I can't get them perfect. But then again what fun would I have if they were :wink:

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #545 of 1,193

I honestly feel like the CKR9 would have made you more happy as an all around IEM, based on the kind of music you like and other IEMs you like. As far as brightness goes, it's not as bright as things you own like the VSD3S or the XE800. I don't find the bass lacking for any genre and the sub-bass digs deep. I've mentioned the bass before and how I feel it reminds me of full size headphones and speakers sometimes and I'm sure it's the same on the CKR10. Difference being the CKR9 has a leaner bass (not that it isn't still very full, it's still more than the VSD3S and Havi). 

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #546 of 1,193
I honestly feel like the CKR9 would have made you more happy as an all around IEM, based on the kind of music you like and other IEMs you like. As far as brightness goes, it's not as bright as things you own like the VSD3S or the XE800. I don't find the bass lacking for any genre and the sub-bass digs deep. I've mentioned the bass before and how I feel it reminds me of full size headphones and speakers sometimes and I'm sure it's the same on the CKR10. Difference being the CKR9 has a leaner bass (not that it isn't still very full, it's still more than the VSD3S and Havi). 

The thing is that I wouldn't wanna give up any of the subbass on the 10's but it's not easy knowing how much difference there is without comparing them though. As I said they're great but could've been so much better for me if it wasn't for this small (because it is small) problem.

I've been playing with the thought of getting the 9's as well but then I think of the price and listen to my X2's and feel like I'm a very happy man :wink:

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #547 of 1,193
I've been playing with the thought of getting the 9's as well but then I think of the price and listen to my X2's and feel like I'm a very happy man
wink.gif

Yeah, I know how you feel. After getting my AD900X and having picked up the CKR9, I feel like I'm set for a while outside of trying budget IEMs. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #548 of 1,193

I see. Hopefully some more burn in can help rectify the issues.

I hope atleast the realism of sound, dynamics, imaging and soundstage lives up to it's name :)

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #549 of 1,193
I see. Hopefully some more burn in can help rectify the issues.

I hope atleast the realism of sound, dynamics, imaging and soundstage lives up to it's name :)

It sure does, that's why I so desperately would like this one grip to get solved. It's an amazing IEM :wink:

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #551 of 1,193
  That's nice to hear. I think I will go with the CKR9's :)

Maybe you should consider the CKR9LTD. Apparently it's a fusion of 9 and 10...

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #554 of 1,193
I'm still torn between the CKR9 and CKR10! The more I read about your reviews and impressions, the more confused I get haha!

I guess I'll just wait until I go back to Japan in the Spring so I can give them both a try and decide!

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #555 of 1,193
After passing 50 hours and using Sennheiser double flange tips the bass sounds good. The layering of the bass on these IEM's is just amazing. I'm still struggling with boomy sound on Jack Johnson's "In Between Days" album and very occasionally on other music. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere (maybe written by @headfonia) that there could be some resonance in the housing on the CKR10's maybe that's what I'm picking up?????

If any of you other guys with the CKR10 and Spotify or similar would care to take a listen to Jack Johnson's "In Between Days" album (the song "Say Goodbye" by Beck shows the same) and tell me how it sounds on your pair it would be very welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back