Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jan 10, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #556 of 1,193
After passing 50 hours and using Sennheiser double flange tips the bass sounds good. The layering of the bass on these IEM's is just amazing. I'm still struggling with boomy sound on Jack Johnson's "In Between Days" album and very occasionally on other music. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere (maybe written by @headfonia) that there could be some resonance in the housing on the CKR10's maybe that's what I'm picking up?????

If any of you other guys with the CKR10 and Spotify or similar would care to take a listen to Jack Johnson's "In Between Days" album (the song "Say Goodbye" by Beck shows the same) and tell me how it sounds on your pair it would be very welcome.

I hear it the same on both with the CKR9. Very boomy on all those tunes. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #557 of 1,193
I hear it the same on both with the CKR9. Very boomy on all those tunes. 

Thanks for conforming that I'm not crazy and that there's nothing wrong with my 10's :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #558 of 1,193
Thanks for conforming that I'm not crazy and that there's nothing wrong with my 10's
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep. Conversely, the AD900X makes them sound very clear and detailed in the mid-bass, so I think it's just the way it was mastered combined with the headphones. I get that in a few songs where they're sound better or worse on one set than another.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #559 of 1,193
Yep. Conversely, the AD900X makes them sound very clear and detailed in the mid-bass, so I think it's just the way it was mastered combined with the headphones. I get that in a few songs where they're sound better or worse on one set than another.

Yes I think you're right. I listen to these albums quite a lot but as you know I usually use IEM's and headphones with not much (mid)bass impact.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #561 of 1,193
Does this happens on quite a lot of songs? I just went ahead and purchased them and now i'm regretting it after hearing this. Since I'm coming from quite bass light iems...

This is not happening with a lot of songs even with the 10's and I really wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker even with them and it could very well be even less with the 9's.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #562 of 1,193
I had a listen to those two tracks with my headphones (MA900) and its obvious those recordings have bloaty bass to begin with, so its only half the fault of the CKR's. But because the CKR's have a forward and soft edged sounding bass presentation its just chucking the bloat in your from two different angles.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #564 of 1,193
Ah ok. That's good to hear. Hope further burn in will solve the resonance issues.

You know I got these sort of by chance knowing that they would be a different soundsignature then what I usually aim for. I'm really glad I did this. The bass is extremely nice with a layering in the bass that I've never experienced before. Add to this a vocal reproduction that almost makes me want to cry when listening to Annie Lennox "Nostalgica" or Paul Potts "Passione" and micro details popping up everywhere and I'm actually stunned by the performance of the 10's. The fit and comfort is also great for me.

Only drawback as mentioned is the boomy bass on a very few recordings. I feel way better about this now knowing that it's actually in the recording. I've now tried the same recordings with some of my headphones with more bass impact and it shows on these as well so I'd guess it's a fair price to pay since I wanted something that had a good bass impact.

All in all these are turning in to just the great all-round IEM's I was hoping for.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #565 of 1,193
You know I got these sort of by chance knowing that they would be a different soundsignature then what I usually aim for. I'm really glad I did this. The bass is extremely nice with a layering in the bass that I've never experienced before. Add to this a vocal reproduction that almost makes me want to cry when listening to Annie Lennox "Nostalgica" or Paul Potts "Passione" and micro details popping up everywhere and I'm actually stunned by the performance of the 10's. The fit and comfort is also great for me.

Only drawback as mentioned is the boomy bass on a very few recordings. I feel way better about this now knowing that it's actually in the recording. I've now tried the same recordings with some of my headphones with more bass impact and it shows on these as well so I'd guess it's a fair price to pay since I wanted something that had a good bass impact.

All in all these are turning in to just the great all-round IEM's I was hoping for.

Glad your liking them.  All of my iems have a forward midrange and quite light on bass so I'm not sure if I made the right choice by going with the CKR9's. Many people said that the IM02 didn't have enough bass for them but to me they did. The thing that made me purchase them, however, was that they had forward midrange, had good imaging, clarity, air, nice soundstage and quality bass. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #566 of 1,193
Glad your liking them.  All of my iems have a forward midrange and quite light on bass so I'm not sure if I made the right choice by going with the CKR9's. Many people said that the IM02 didn't have enough bass for them but to me they did. The thing that made me purchase them, however, was that they had forward midrange, had good imaging, clarity, air, nice soundstage and quality bass. 

The 10's are very intimate and soundstage width is not particularly impressive but that was expected and pretty much everything else is great. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 9' as well since they seem to get even more praise than the 10's.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #567 of 1,193
The 10's are very intimate and soundstage width is not particularly impressive but that was expected and pretty much everything else is great. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 9' as well since they seem to get even more praise than the 10's.

I guess having a more intimate soundstage will make vocals more focused and close to you, which is a good thing because it will make vocals sound more emotional, which is sort of what i'm after as long as the vocals still sound airy then i'm fine. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #568 of 1,193
I guess having a more intimate soundstage will make vocals more focused and close to you, which is a good thing because it will make vocals sound more emotional, which is sort of what i'm after as long as the vocals still sound airy then i'm fine. 

Yes, you're spot on with that description. And yes vocals are still airy (at least on the 10's but I'd expect thesame from the 9's).

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #570 of 1,193

Not only that, but also 10 being warmer with a little "heavier" lower mids gives vocals more natural body, making it more organic in my opinion.  Just a matter of personal preference, but to my ears vocals on 10 sounds more natural in comparison to 9.

With 9 being brighter, it gives a perception of a wider soundstage, though I can't say for sure if they are indeed wider - just a perception because brighter sig makes sound more airy.  But if you want to feel good about your CKR10/9 soundstage, put in UM Pro 30 IEMs that have claustrophobic performance staging that right "in your head" lol!!!  After that going to CKR10 will make you feel like the first time you put Havi B3 Pro I in your ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back