Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Apr 25, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,188 of 1,193
Should I buy ckr10 if I have the ckr90? Or should I buy E70 instead for a more refined sound? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,190 of 1,193
E70 is definitely more refined. It’s more capable, but also more balanced, and takes bit more power. Ckr10 were warm in general. From them all, I kept the e50 as best value. Ckr9 was a tuning I liked a lot, but one channel died.
Thanks daveyostrow:) Sorry for your ckr9. I find it fascinating how a single balanced armature driver earphone, such as the E50, can provide such a fulfilling audio experience. I have come across numerous positive comments regarding the E50 here, but the E70 also piques my interest.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,191 of 1,193
Hello!

Well, this is my first post.

For anyone wondering, I've decided to register on Head-Fi just because of this thread. I wanted to share my opinion, even if this topic is pretty dead, in hope that maybe it could be useful in the future, about spotting fakes.

Some days ago, at a local electronics fair (that had many sellers), I encountered one in particular that was selling some brand new (with plastic film) ckr10 and one ckr9-ltd for 15€ each. I live in Italy.

Of course, it was shady, but I couldn't resist and I had to buy one ckr10 and the ckr9-ltd. Both seemed legit, but the cardboard packaging was in very bad condition (it was moldy, like it was stored in a very humid place). I decided that for the price I could gamble it.

Of course, they turned out to be fakes.

And very messy in terms of molds.

But what interested me the most was how well-crafted these fakes were.

There's not much about the ckr10 to add that wasn't already covered, apart from my fakes having no visible build quality issues; they shared pretty much everything else—the 'still to be divided' cable, no environmental instructions, lightly faded and low-quality left and right prints, no protective stickers.

The thing I'd like to add is about the fake ckr9-ltds, of which it seems there is not much information about how to detect fakes. Well, in my case, it was pretty much the same. The box seemed good, apart from there being no sticker indicating the production number... mine was printed directly on the box as '1444'. All other stickers were placed very well, and in general, the print quality of the outside box was amazing. While on the inside, well, still no environmental instructions and a 'still to be divided cable'. High build quality, better than the ckr10 for everything else. How to detect a fake one from an original one? Very difficult from photos, but the color chips, low quality of the cable and rubber, some exposed glue... be careful of details.

Oh yes, what about jack protectors? Well, in both cases, they were present! But they were inside the leather pouch, and they were made of some very badly cut transparent tube.

About sound quality, well, it's actually not that bad. Better than everything I own for less than 80€ in both cases, but still, I won't be using these very much, considering how poorly these have been stored. But if I have to be honest, the ckr-10 actually sounded premium, matching most descriptions. While instead, the ckr9-ltd did not match the descriptions, and I'm pretty sure it's not because of a bad seal.

It's been almost 10 years since these were launched, yet the fakes are still everywhere. I was fifteen back then and couldn't afford them. Now there's much more for the same price, but the design and engineering of these still amaze me, even if fake.

*Edited because i tried to error correct it with chatGPT, but it was actually worse than at the begginning :)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,192 of 1,193
Hello!

Well, this is my first post.

For anyone wondering, I've decided to register on Head-Fi just because of this thread. I wanted to share my opinion, even if this topic is pretty dead, in hope that maybe it could be useful in the future, about spotting fakes.

Some days ago, at a local electronics fair (that had many sellers), I encountered one in particular that was selling some brand new (with plastic film) ckr10 and one ckr9-ltd for 15€ each. I live in Italy.

Of course, it was shady, but I couldn't resist and I had to buy one ckr10 and the ckr9-ltd. Both seemed legit, but the cardboard packaging was in very bad condition (it was moldy, like it was stored in a very humid place). I decided that for the price I could gamble it.

Of course, they turned out to be fakes.

And very messy in terms of molds.

But what interested me the most was how well-crafted these fakes were.

There's not much about the ckr10 to add that wasn't already covered, apart from my fakes having no visible build quality issues; they shared pretty much everything else—the 'still to be divided' cable, no environmental instructions, lightly faded and low-quality left and right prints, no protective stickers.

The thing I'd like to add is about the fake ckr9-ltds, of which it seems there is not much information about how to detect fakes. Well, in my case, it was pretty much the same. The box seemed good, apart from there being no sticker indicating the production number... mine was printed directly on the box as '1444'. All other stickers were placed very well, and in general, the print quality of the outside box was amazing. While on the inside, well, still no environmental instructions and a 'still to be divided cable'. High build quality, better than the ckr10 for everything else. How to detect a fake one from an original one? Very difficult from photos, but the color chips, low quality of the cable and rubber, some exposed glue... be careful of details.

Oh yes, what about jack protectors? Well, in both cases, they were present! But they were inside the leather pouch, and they were made of some very badly cut transparent tube.

About sound quality, well, it's actually not that bad. Better than everything I own for less than 80€ in both cases, but still, I won't be using these very much, considering how poorly these have been stored. But if I have to be honest, the ckr-10 actually sounded premium, matching most descriptions. While instead, the ckr9-ltd did not match the descriptions, and I'm pretty sure it's not because of a bad seal.

It's been almost 10 years since these were launched, yet the fakes are still everywhere. I was fifteen back then and couldn't afford them. Now there's much more for the same price, but the design and engineering of these still amaze me, even if fake.

*Edited because i tried to error correct it with chatGPT, but it was actually worse than at the begginning :)
Alright! I've finally decided to rip open the fake ath-ckr9 ltds. Inside, there is for real the dual push-pull driver. It's incredible how bad it is incapsulated tho. There is glue everywhere and it's made so bad it fell apart without touching it.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #1,193 of 1,193
For the sake of it, I've also decided to open up the fake ckr10. Their drivers were made well, effectively in general the build quality was superior in comparison to the fake ckr9-ltd. I can confirm that indeed, as in a previous post was told, the material the cup is made is anodized copper.

As in general i was not satisfied with the sound of the two fakes, i tried combining them into the ultimate fake king. I've taken the aluminum caps of the fake ckr9-ltd and swapped the copper one of the fake ckr10, remade the epoxy insulation of the drivers and swapped some cosmetic pieces.

Honestly i'm very happy with the result, if i could post some photos of the procedure and dissection of the fakes i would for sure, maybe when i'll have enough privileges to do so i'll do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back