Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Jan 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #511 of 1,193
Or demo extensively.  9 vs 10 is an obvious differerence, and divisive, based on the reviews here, with two pretty firm camps pro-either or.  The LTD I guess not many people have heard; I would call it closer to the 9`s sound sig, but using the 10`s drivers, somehow different, better, more refined.  It`s subtle.  In hand it feels noticeably less plasticky, so there may be some placebo effect on my sound perception (I`m a bit of a sucker for build quality...)  

The 10s are also 30% heavier than the other two, which I found to be significant . . . 

Just to clarify... Does the 9 ltd have the 10's drivers, or housing, or both?? I'm confused...

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #512 of 1,193

Or demo extensively.  9 vs 10 is an obvious differerence, and divisive, based on the reviews here, with two pretty firm camps pro-either or.  The LTD I guess not many people have heard; I would call it closer to the 9`s sound sig, but using the 10`s drivers, somehow different, better, more refined.  It`s subtle.  In hand it feels noticeably less plasticky, so there may be some placebo effect on my sound perception (I`m a bit of a sucker for build quality...)  

The 10s are also 30% heavier than the other two, which I found to be significant . . . 

I agree. I try both 9 & 10, and I found the 10 has a noticeable difference in SQ and clarity.  I enjoy CRK10 more. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #513 of 1,193
It has the 9s drivers, only the housing shape has changed in 9LTD. Also it is quite likely that 9 and 10 both have the same drivers anyway, and the titanium vs aluminum housing is what is creating their sound sigs.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #514 of 1,193
Lets break things down, on the AT website, it clearly said that the 9LTD has changed its housing shape (increasing volume) to increase its frequency response (its the same housing shape as 10). So seeing as how the 9LTD and 10 both have the same specs we can assume that the simple housing change has done this. What this means is that the 9, 9LTD and 10 probably all have the exact same drivers, and their different signatures come from their different housings, its not as crazy as you might think, an iem like this would respond dramatically to its housing material and shape.

So this all means that the original 9 was sabotaged by AT, they gave it a worse housing shape than the 10 so that its frequency response would suffer a bit, otherwise the specs of 9 and 10 would have been the same, like 9LTD and 10. Then there would be no justification for their difference in price. So basically the 9LTD is what the optimal 9 should have been, there is no point getting the 9 and 9LTD, as AT obviously planned this all out. The 9LTD is simply what the 9 should be.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #515 of 1,193
Lets break things down, on the AT website, it clearly said that the 9LTD has changed its housing shape (increasing volume) to increase its frequency response (its the same housing shape as 10). So seeing as how the 9LTD and 10 both have the same specs we can assume that the simple housing change has done this. What this means is that the 9, 9LTD and 10 probably all have the exact same drivers, and their different signatures come from their different housings, its not as crazy as you might think, an iem like this would respond dramatically to its housing material and shape.

So this all means that the original 9 was sabotaged by AT, they gave it a worse housing shape than the 10 so that its frequency response would suffer a bit, otherwise the specs of 9 and 10 would have been the same, like 9LTD and 10. Then there would be no justification for their difference in price. So basically the 9LTD is what the optimal 9 should have been, there is no point getting the 9 and 9LTD, as AT obviously planned this all out. The 9LTD is simply what the 9 should be.

I wouldn't call it sabotage. Clearly the housing shape was deliberate since housing size and shape has an effect on sound, and no every likes warmer signatures, although I do.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #516 of 1,193
It has the 9s drivers, only the housing shape has changed in 9LTD. Also it is quite likely that 9 and 10 both have the same drivers anyway

I`m pretty sure this is wrong.  I have seen multiple reviews in Japanese that state that the 9 LTD uses the 10`s drivers - I think they`ve done a tear-down to confirm.  Also, on the ATH page it is clear that the 9 and 9 LTD have different frequency range and sensitivity; the 9 LTD and 10 have identical specs.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #517 of 1,193
I wouldn't call it sabotage. Clearly the housing shape was deliberate since housing size and shape has an effect on sound, and no every likes warmer signatures, although I do.

Yeah, I suspect tuning is also different. Is the 9ltd tuned like the 10, or the 9, or the 9ltd (totally different?)? In my experience you can't simply slap the same drivers and tuning into a new housing and call it a day. You have to retune.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #518 of 1,193

I`m pretty sure this is wrong.  I have seen multiple reviews in Japanese that state that the 9 LTD uses the 10`s drivers - I think they`ve done a tear-down to confirm.  Also, on the ATH page it is clear that the 9 and 9 LTD have different frequency range and sensitivity; the 9 LTD and 10 have identical specs.  

Ah ok I found some info that points to the 9LTD using the 10s drivers, cool cool. On AT's website it says both CKR10 and CKR9LTD use "Pure Iron Yoke" drivers, while the CKR9 doesn't have this part in its description!

So the 9 uses cheap drivers and a crappy housing then, lame. lol jk. 

And the 9LTD is using the same drivers as the 10, and the same housing shape as the 10, the only difference between them is aluminum vs titanium housing. Interesting!

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #520 of 1,193
  Check out my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/earwerkz-legend-r-vs-noble-k10-brief-review-and-19-others-including-customart-harmony-8-pro/75#post_11169116

No, they're not too bassy. They are warm, lush, and have more forward mids. They're not as clear as the CKR09, but the CKR09 definitely doesn't have the signature you like- quite the opposite. That's why I suggest the CKR10.

I guess you will get a different sound perspective from various people.  I used to have IM02 before switching to IM03; 02 was too bright and analytical for my taste, not my cup of tea.  I prefer a smoother sound with more bass (will pick quantity over quality).  Perhaps I misunderstood your requirements, thus CKR10 will be more up your valley!

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I think what I'm wanting is sort of a mixture of the two. Good clarity, lush/intimate/forward vocals, airy, slightly warm/rich/smooth (so that instruments are more engaging and so that there's a slight thickness/richness/fullness to the sound of guitars), with a hint of brightness in the upper mids/treble but not too much that it causes sibilance. And excellent imagery, speed and a large 3d soundstage.

Is the IM02 similar to the CKR9 because I kind of see some similarities from reading reviews on them?

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #521 of 1,193
  Did you guys know AT made only 2000 CKR9LTD!? That's a fairly limited number, they weren't joking when they called them a Limited edition! lol.

That is crazy.   I guess that`s why I so rarely see it in the used shop I go to, which has everything else you can imagine used.  I`ve missed 2 chances to buy it used - actually one time was one of the store`s many unofficial used-but-never-used open box deals.   I will get it, though, later this month.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #522 of 1,193
Ah ok I found some info that points to the 9LTD using the 10s drivers, cool cool. On AT's website it says both CKR10 and CKR9LTD use "Pure Iron Yoke" drivers, while the CKR9 doesn't have this part in its description!

So the 9 uses cheap drivers and a crappy housing then, lame. lol jk. 

And the 9LTD is using the same drivers as the 10, and the same housing shape as the 10, the only difference between them is aluminum vs titanium housing. Interesting!

I didn't get to try the ckr9ltd- when I asked about it they said they'd been told it's just a ckr9 in a different colour. Errr...

But I did try the fx1100. Impressions coming soon.

Updated: Impressions now here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/legend-r-vs-k10-brief-review-and-27-others-now-incl-entire-westone-w-um-series-and-jvc-fx-series/105#post_11178667

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #523 of 1,193
Subbed.
popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #524 of 1,193
Hi I just brought a pair of these and well I liked the foam ear tips I had with my Denon Ach710s and the Audio technicas CKR'10s dont come with foam tips, I just wanted to know how to find the rite ones.

some one asked what size is the stem I havnt a clue as mine havnt arrived yet, please help some one thankx <3

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #525 of 1,193
  Hi I just brought a pair of these and well I liked the faom ear tips I had with my Denon Ach710s and the Audio technicas CKT's dont come with foam tips, I jsut wanted to know how ot tfind the rite ones.

some one asked what size is the stem I havnt a clue as mine havnt arrived yet, please help soem one thankx <3

You'd want the comply T400 or S400 for the CKR series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back