Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Dec 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #406 of 1,193
  Ya i think so.
My pain started from left side (in 30 min) then in about the 45 min of wearing it the right started to hurt too. It's not the internal part thought. It's just where the tips sits.

Have you tried the smaller tips? They shouldn't really be pushing against your canals so hard that they're noticeable all the time. Find the size that sits in there just snug enough that when you gently tug them, you can feel a bit of suction. That's all you need. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #407 of 1,193
So the  last two nights I`ve put my new CKR9 through burn sessions.  I`d never done this before with any other headphone.  With my HD800 I kept track of the listening hours and stopped counting at 200 - I was of course SURE I could hear an improvement over what I remembered of hour 1...

Anyway, I`ve read several comments about how much the CKR9 improves with time, so I thought I would give it a try : about 25 hours  they were on a repeating 6-hour mix of 16/44 Shapeshifter remixes (semi-orgainc electronica), a couple of .dff jazz albums, a couple of `audiophile` classic sampler albums in 24bit PCM - I was thinking to put it through a full range of frequencies, timbres, etc, in different resolutions.  No idea if any of this matters, or if burn-in is even real or not (and no, let`s not debate it) but I will say that I am reasonbly confident, as confident as I can be going from memory, that the sound has improved.  You can insert adjectives : `opened up`, whatever.   Maybe just placebo, maybe real; as usual with me either way is fine - same result. 

This iem has incredible bass detail and impact. With lower-quality tracks it can bloom now and then, but with the good stuff, it is just incredible, just perfect for me.  They`ve done a wonderful thing, here.  

Now I`m curious again about the LTD again.....

Damned hedonic treadmill...

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #408 of 1,193
   You can insert adjectives : `opened up`, whatever.   Maybe just placebo, maybe real; as usual with me either way is fine - same result. 

Couldn't say it better. That's the way people need to look at the burn in argument. If you listen and think they get better, cool. Doesn't matter why, as long as you enjoy them. 

Quote:
  This iem has incredible bass detail and impact. With lower-quality tracks it can bloom now and then, but with the good stuff, it is just incredible, just perfect for me.  They`ve done a wonderful thing, here.  

It really is something. It's even better than the GR07 which I thought had the perfect low end and drum texture. Classic rock sounds incredible in the low end as well as basses in live Jazz. Just amazing. I'm guessing that's a result of the dual phase drivers. I remember reading the engineers wanted to give a feel of a speaker or on ear headphone and they definitely evoke those comparisons.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them, and careful not to trip on that hedonic treadmill. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #409 of 1,193
this is just an opinion from some noob like me about burn in

1.if you burn in something that have something to be burned in , thats mighty fine (stuff like caps, dynamic drivers)
2. I am of the opinion that if you burn in something for around 200 + hour and you still didnt like it, you prolly wont at 2 million hour , everything else is you getting accustomed with the sound

I do like the 10s though

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #410 of 1,193
I don't know if it's real either, but I've seen the burn in debate go as far as cables... Which is incredibly hard to believe. I'm quite happy with the sound of my ckr9, burned in or not. Definitely curious about the ckr10 too.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #411 of 1,193
I don't know if it's real either, but I've seen the burn in debate go as far as cables... Which is incredibly hard to believe. I'm quite happy with the sound of my ckr9, burned in or not. Definitely curious about the ckr10 too.

there is more bass quantity , and the decay is better the bass body is bigger as well , at the price of some treble bling of course

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #412 of 1,193
  Have you tried the smaller tips? They shouldn't really be pushing against your canals so hard that they're noticeable all the time. Find the size that sits in there just snug enough that when you gently tug them, you can feel a bit of suction. That's all you need. 

Medium fit me best, small does't fit me at all. Far too small. It isn't noticable at all in the first 10 to 20 min of usage. But gradually it become noticeable then it started to get sore.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #414 of 1,193

there is more bass quantity , and the decay is better the bass body is bigger as well , at the price of some treble bling of course

+1 Like he said. The vocal in CKR10 sound more bright to my ear.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #416 of 1,193
Thats exactly what I have been saying about the bass. Its one of the best bass performance I have ever heard to my taste ofcuz. And no not interms of quantity, its the quality that amzes me. Hard to explain unless you hear them before you know, try listening to rude- magic lossless copy, hear that bass rumble from the bass guitar and all those instruments clearly separated with depth complimented with very clear and airy vocals. Sounds damn right transcendent.

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #419 of 1,193
I just got my pair of CKR9s in the mail, courtesy of warrior1975, and I must say that I'm quite impressed. As mentioned in the IM70 thread, they do seem to be a lateral improvement from the IM70. My only complaint thus far is that the treble can be a tad hot at times, something the IM70 also suffered from. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #420 of 1,193
I just got my pair of CKR9s in the mail, courtesy of warrior1975, and I must say that I'm quite impressed. As mentioned in the IM70 thread, they do seem to be a lateral improvement from the IM70. My only complaint thus far is that the treble can be a tad hot at times, something the IM70 also suffered from. 

Very interested in further comparison with the IM70 when you get some more time with them. I also enjoy the IM70 and want more :wink:

Now just to decide between the CKR9 or 10.......... I like forward vocals but I'm worried about the bass quantity on the 10's (they might be to bassy for me).........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back