Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Dec 3, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #392 of 1,193
  I got it at one of the one-off little shops in some alley in Akihabara, Tokyo.  They had one.  They also had a Shure 1540, seemingly new but without box, accessories or even cables, for 18,000, about 150$.  I almost bought it, I may go back.  It had a warranty...  

I got the CKR9 for 12,000, or around 100$.  But like I said, they only had one . . .   
Akihabara is full of deals like that.  

Oh man... what a deal 
L3000.gif

I want one too 
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #393 of 1,193
That`s also a good price, rontant
cheaper than the regular price in Japan.  

Yeah, recently I have been on binges of buying and selling.  I`m in the process of selling off all of my unused audio and photography gear, and so far it`s going well.  But better is my buying binge, as I scored an amazing deal on a new AK120ii 2 weeks ago (like, illegally cheap), then another great deal on the Beyer T51p, which ended my months-long indecision process of buying a closed HP for travelling.  

However,  the craziest deal I found happened today, about 3 hours ago, when I took my new CKR9 into a headphone specialty shop here to have them re-terminated to 2.5 balanced :  There in the JUNK bin was a new-looking Beyer T5P, for 40k¥, or about 350usd. This is 1000-dollar headphone.  `Junk`, because the 3.5mm jack was broken, and no sound was coming out.  The staff kinda smiled at me and said it was a good chance, if I could fix the plug (! ?)  So I rushed over and told the solder-king to stop working on my CKR9 and do the T5P instead. 

So my CKR9 are staying single ended for now, and in 3 days I`ll have a T5P.  

I spent 40¥, but I feel like I saved money. 

Anyone want to buy a 2 week old T51p ??

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #394 of 1,193
  @Dopaminer , if I may know where did you get yours and how much? Weeks ago CKR9 at Amazon Japan was JPY16,800, now it's JPY 22,000. 

I got one (CKR9) for 12900Yen, and also bought CKR10 for 19900Yen. A friend in Japan bought it for me. Can't wait to hear them. But it usually took a month and sometimes almost two shipping via EMS to my country #sad

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #396 of 1,193
@Dopaminer-I'm very impressed with the little ckr9. Just wondering how you rate it against our Shure Se846? I know it's really not a fair comparison... But I would love your thoughts, I'd like to see if they are similar to mine.

Hey Warrior, that`s a tough one for me.  I have nothing but good things to say about the 846 sound.  If I saw a survey that said the 846 recieved the highest average score for SQ of any IEM on the planet, it wouldn`t surprise me.  I actually love them, as a peice of brilliant engineering, as ergonomic, acoustic, aesthetic genius.  But when I look back at my 12 months of owning them, and several other HPs, they do not rank as my favorite, or even all that appealing.  I simply don`t really like listening to them.  My HD800s I cannot live without - I`d go homeless before I sold those.  For iems, for whatever purpose - sleeping, working out, commuting, whatever, I nearly always instinctively chose something else.  Usually my JVC fxz200, an iem 1/5 the price of the 846.   After getting the JVC fx850 a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to sell the SE846.  I can`t explain this paradox - I know, I can hear it : the 846 are better sounding.  Better detail, astonishingly complex bass, better isolation, etc.  But I just don`t like `em.  

So as for your question : I like the CKR9 better than the 846.  And I don`t know why.  

Probably your comparison would be more useful to the other members.  What`s your take ? 

(Actually, my 846s are all boxed up, waiting for their next owner to buy them from me, so I can`t do any real-time A-Bing with my new CKR9) 

Cheers,

d

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #397 of 1,193
I've heard 846 several times. And almost end up buying them. But since I still have my Shure 530 mod (recable and detachable) I don't have the urge to buy them anymore. It is true that it is an upgrade to my aging 530 on all sector except vocal, which I feel is still more intimate with. So that's why I've been looking all around IEM that still have lush in it. That's why I end up ordering CKR9 and CKR10

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #398 of 1,193
Right now, the 8s are my primary iem. I grab them before anything, Ref 1 included. That's due to fit issues, otherwise I'd grab Ref 1 everytime. I haven't listened to my ckr9 in quite sometime, but decided to yesterday and they sound quite good. Amazing actually. I need better tips for them, but to me, they are something special. I prefer the 8s, but sonically, I don't feel the ckr9 is far behind...

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #399 of 1,193
Right now, the 8s are my primary iem. I grab them before anything, Ref 1 included. That's due to fit issues, otherwise I'd grab Ref 1 everytime. I haven't listened to my ckr9 in quite sometime, but decided to yesterday and they sound quite good. Amazing actually. I need better tips for them, but to me, they are something special. I prefer the 8s, but sonically, I don't feel the ckr9 is far behind...

Have you tried jvc spiral dot tips on them? The says that it will enhanced ckr sound

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #400 of 1,193
Have you tried jvc spiral dot tips on them? The says that it will enhanced ckr sound

Yes, I second that.  I`m using the spiraldots from my JVC fx850 and they really do add to the sound of the CKR9.  (Spinfits on the 850, also great sound and helps with the 850`s weight).  

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #402 of 1,193
Not sure why, when i try using the JVC spiral medium tips. It fits ok. But after like around 30 min my ear get sore. I try the Large spiral dot tips. It's kind of hard to put in but i manage to put in. Well it feel that it seals better. But it just wont stay in my ear without getting sore (Large tips give me some kind of burning sensation) . Is this a fit issue or I'm just not use to it?? 
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #403 of 1,193
Not sure why, when i try using the JVC spiral medium tips. It fits ok. But after like around 30 min my ear get sore. I try the Large spiral dot tips. It's kind of hard to put in but i manage to put in. Well it feel that it seals better. But it just wont stay in my ear without getting sore (Large tips give me some kind of burning sensation) . Is this a fit issue or I'm just not use to it?? :frowning2:

It's probable that your ear canal just isn't a good fit for the tip. There isn't a catch-all ear tip out there. Different ears require different tips to get a good seal.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #404 of 1,193
  Not sure why, when i try using the JVC spiral medium tips. It fits ok. But after like around 30 min my ear get sore. I try the Large spiral dot tips. It's kind of hard to put in but i manage to put in. Well it feel that it seals better. But it just wont stay in my ear without getting sore (Large tips give me some kind of burning sensation) . Is this a fit issue or I'm just not use to it?? 
frown.gif

Plus you might need some callouses.  I`ve been sleeping with earplugs in for years, so my canals are toughened up, I guess.  The only tips that don`t work for me are foams.  .   

BTW, I use a larger tip in my left ear, than my right.  Sometimes differerent tips completely in right and left.  

Is your pain on both sides ?  Or one side ?  If it`s only one, you might have an ear infection or something.  

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #405 of 1,193
It's probable that your ear canal just isn't a good fit for the tip. There isn't a catch-all ear tip out there. Different ears require different tips to get a good seal.

Ya i think so.

Plus you might need some callouses.  I`ve been sleeping with earplugs in for years, so my canals are toughened up, I guess.  The only tips that don`t work for me are foams.  .   

BTW, I use a larger tip in my left ear, than my right.  Sometimes differerent tips completely in right and left.  

Is your pain on both sides ?  Or one side ?  If it`s only one, you might have an ear infection or something.  

My pain started from left side (in 30 min) then in about the 45 min of wearing it the right started to hurt too. It's not the internal part thought. It's just where the tips sits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back