Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #421 of 1,193
Very interested in further comparison with the IM70 when you get some more time with them. I also enjoy the IM70 and want more
wink.gif

Now just to decide between the CKR9 or 10.......... I like forward vocals but I'm worried about the bass quantity on the 10's (they might be to bassy for me).........

Coming from the SE846, the vocals on the CKR9 are not as forward as I'm used to, and they're definitely not as lush. Although I'm not surprised considering how much the SE846 is, but even compared to the IM70, the vocals don't feel as forward. Perhaps it might having something to do with the CKR9's brighter nature. Of course I'm speaking from memory since I still haven't a chance to do any A/Bing. When I get the chance, I'll probably do a short comparison between these two and maybe even the Sennheiser IE80, which is within the same price range. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #422 of 1,193
Very interested in further comparison with the IM70 when you get some more time with them. I also enjoy the IM70 and want more :wink:

Now just to decide between the CKR9 or 10.......... I like forward vocals but I'm worried about the bass quantity on the 10's (they might be to bassy for me).........

The ckr9 has a bit less bass than the im70. Slightly more than the vsd3s. Haven't heard the ckr10 but it's probably about like or slightly more than the im70. You can look at earfonia's thread for more comparisons. Sorry for weird sentence structure, typing on phone at a hospital.

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #423 of 1,193
The ckr9 has a bit less bass than the im70. Slightly more than the vsd3s. Haven't heard the ckr10 but it's probably about like or slightly more than the im70. You can look at earfonia's thread for more comparisons. Sorry for weird sentence structure, typing on phone at a hospital.

Not a surprise to hear. I've been listening to them for the past hour or so and I noticed that the CKR9 is not hitting very hard in my bassiest tracks. Why are you at a hospital by the way, I hope you haven't come down with anything. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #424 of 1,193
  Not a surprise to hear. I've been listening to them for the past hour or so and I noticed that the CKR9 is not hitting very hard in my bassiest tracks. . . . 

I find that the CKR9`s bass has more detail than any IEM I`d heard previously - including my now-sold 846.  That familiar comment : I was hearing details in familiar tracks that I hadn`t heard before.  I encourage you to try different tips.  My current situation is - JVC Spiraldots improve bass; Spinfits improve high end.   I agree the treble with the 9 can sound a bit abrasive some times, a bit digital/fake sounding.  But only sometimes.  

Regarding CKR9 vs CKR10 : To confuse matters more, according to the reviews here in Japan, the CKR9 LTD sound sig is a combination of the 9 and 10.  The LTD is starting to appear in the used / open box shop here for around us$200 so I may get it.  

Despite its red and pinkness.  

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #425 of 1,193

I find that the CKR9`s bass has more detail than any IEM I`d heard previously - including my now-sold 846.  That familiar comment : I was hearing details in familiar tracks that I hadn`t heard before.  I encourage you to try different tips.  My current situation is - JVC Spiraldots improve bass; Spinfits improve high end.   I agree the treble with the 9 can sound a bit abrasive some times, a bit digital/fake sounding.  But only sometimes.  

Regarding CKR9 vs CKR10 : To confuse matters more, according to the reviews here in Japan, the CKR9 LTD sound sig is a combination of the 9 and 10.  The LTD is starting to appear in the used / open box shop here for around us$200 so I may get it.  

Despite its red and pinkness.  

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the CKR9's bass performance. The CKR9 is lacking a bit in the bass department for me. I've spent quite a bit of time with the SE846 and with my most familiar tracks, a lot of the details I've heard with the 846 is absent with the CKR9. On top of that, the bass also sounds somewhat loose on the CKR9 when compared to the 846. No surprise though given the huge difference in price, but there really is a night and day difference. Additionally, I do have a good seal on both of these headphones. I'm using using the Westone Startips on my 846 and the very same JVC spiral dots you have on the CKR9. Both of which have a noticeable suction effect when I take them off my ears. I'm curious as to what tips you used with your SE846s though.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #426 of 1,193
  I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the CKR9's bass performance. The CKR9 is lacking a bit in the bass department for me. I've spent quite a bit of time with the SE846 and with my most familiar tracks, a lot of the details I've heard with the 846 is absent with the CKR9. On top of that, the bass also sounds somewhat loose on the CKR9 when compared to the 846. No surprise though given the huge difference in price, but there really is a night and day difference. Additionally, I do have a good seal on both of these headphones. I'm using using the Westone Startips on my 846 and the very same JVC spiral dots you have on the CKR9. Both of which have a noticeable suction effect when I take them off my ears.

Weird, I find the bass on the ckr9s to be the tightest I've ever heard in an in-ear.

at least you're enjoying them I presume?

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #427 of 1,193
  Weird, I find the bass on the ckr9s to be the tightest I've ever heard in an in-ear.

at least you're enjoying them I presume?

Oh yes, I am enjoying them quite a bit. For it's price range, the bass performance is actually quite good. I'm just having a tough time trying to separate myself from the same performance I get from the 846, which has the best bass I've ever heard. Tough considering that I had them on for about 3 hours before I started listening to the CKR9. I've put everything down in the meantime to allow to my brain to reboot before giving them another listen. The last thing I want to do is give it an unfair impression. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #428 of 1,193
  I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the CKR9's bass performance. . . . a lot of the details I've heard with the 846 is absent with the CKR9. On top of that, the bass also sounds somewhat loose on the CKR9 when compared to the 846. . . I'm using using the Westone Startips on my 846 and the very same JVC spiral dots you have on the CKR9. . . .  I'm curious as to what tips you used with your SE846s though.

Interesting : I also used Westone Startips on my 846.  So we`ve eliminated those variables.  I`m comparing both iems through my AK120ii, and only lossless and/or high-rez files.  Lots of modern jazz and electronica.  

I hesitate to mention this, because I am skeptical myself somewhat, but are your CKR9s burned in?  I put mine on a 25 hour burn cycle with a variety of music and definitely (believe I) heard an improvement, especially in the bass.   I`m willing to concede placebo, but the fact remains the CKR9 bass really impresses me.  

I also thought the 846 bass was amazing.  

d

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #429 of 1,193

Interesting : I also used Westone Startips on my 846.  So we`ve eliminated those variables.  I`m comparing both iems through my AK120ii, and only lossless and/or high-rez files.  Lots of modern jazz and electronica.  

I hesitate to mention this, because I am skeptical myself somewhat, but are your CKR9s burned in?  I put mine on a 25 hour burn cycle with a variety of music and definitely (believe I) heard an improvement, especially in the bass.   I`m willing to concede placebo, but the fact remains the CKR9 bass really impresses me.  

I also thought the 846 bass was amazing.  

d

I don't believe in burn in, but these are a used pair I got from warrior1975, so they're pretty well worn. Either way, people's brains operate differently, so there will never be a unanimous decision. All that matters is that we both have a pair of IEMs we love. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #430 of 1,193
  I don't believe in burn in, but these are a used pair I got from warrior1975, so they're pretty well worn. Either way, people's brains operate differently, so there will never be a unanimous decision. All that matters is that we both have a pair of IEMs we love. 
etysmile.gif

Quick, tune my brain to love the msr7s.

I just cannot give it a good review because of it. 
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #432 of 1,193
  Not a surprise to hear. I've been listening to them for the past hour or so and I noticed that the CKR9 is not hitting very hard in my bassiest tracks. Why are you at a hospital by the way, I hope you haven't come down with anything. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nah, just taking care of my grandmother. 

I'm really loving the bass of the CKR9. There are several times it almost feels like I'm listening to full size headphones or even speakers. I'm guessing this is the result of the out of phase drivers, since those were designed to be used in speakers for bass resolution. ATH said they wanted to give the same feels as listening to headphones and I can honestly see where they're coming from with that. I'm sure the 846 creams it, but that's several hundred dollars difference right there. For me, the CKR9 is just amazing in the low end. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #433 of 1,193

Nah, just taking care of my grandmother. 

I'm really loving the bass of the CKR9. There are several times it almost feels like I'm listening to full size headphones or even speakers. I'm guessing this is the result of the out of phase drivers, since those were designed to be used in speakers for bass resolution. ATH said they wanted to give the same feels as listening to headphones and I can honestly see where they're coming from with that. I'm sure the 846 creams it, but that's several hundred dollars difference right there. For me, the CKR9 is just amazing in the low end. 

Yeah, I can definitely see what you're talking about. There are some tracks that really make the CKR9 beam, but there's also a few that highlights its shortcomings as well. Regardless, I don't believe I have another headphone that's quite like the CKR9. In fact, it almost feels like a mish-mash of some of the better aspects of my other IEMs. I'm very happy to own them. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #434 of 1,193
Yeah, live music and Jazz in particular sound amazing on these. Classic rock from the golden era of analog recording sounds incredible as well. You can really see what they were going for with their "sound reality" line. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back