Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Feb 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #902 of 1,550

Quote:
Quote:

Being that my current Radio Shack adapter is within my 30-day return windown and tops out at a 13V AC setting, I think I'm going to exchange it today for their next level up model - the one that can do 18V or 22V AC.  I'll keep it on the 18V AC setting.  It's also capable of delivering 1,000mA, if required. 

Actually, last evening, I went to Radio Shack with the intention of exchanging the adapter.  They have the 18V / 24V adapter for $25.99, but it doesn't include the tip.  You have to buy that piece for an additional $6.99.  However, they didn't have the correct 2.1mm size version at the moment, so I didn't do the exchange.  Then, just for the fun of it, I asked the guy if he'd test the voltage of the adapter that I had purchased from them a few days earlier.  When set in the 13V position, it actually puts out 16.09V - or, on mine it does and I later confirmed that too when I got home.  Plus, the $22.99 adapter features the correct sized barrel connector already in place, so no additional funds are required.  I'm keeping what I have being that things should be running smooth at 16V for my O2.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #907 of 1,550

Please please report back 
tongue_smile.gif
. I'm assuming you are using the T1?  I'm curious on your finding because I have been reading on the Lake Poeple Amplifier this week and almost pull the trigger on the V90 that was in the FS to match the T1.  But if you come back with the O2 being impressive or comparable well even better 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Been A/B comparing the O2 vs with the V200 for the last few hours. Interesting findings...

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #908 of 1,550
The difference is either:
1) Night and day.
2) Nonexistent.
3) "Just the last little bit of extra X in favour of amp Y."

Think that's covered all the bases
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #909 of 1,550
I'm scared to post my impressions lol...

But in any case, I spent about 2-3 hours direct A/B'ing yesterday. First I compared entire tracks, had a note pad and jotted down any elements of music heard, time stamps and everything. Compared. After that, I compared 10 second snippets of different songs.

I'm not sure if volume was perfectly matched, probably close enough. I used an iPhone app, placed exactly the same spot near the T1 placed also in a set spot (neither were moved during db testing), and recorded DB using both the V200 and O2 till they showed roughly the same averages.

In any case, I plan to do further testing before posting anything. Let's just say, the O2 is impressive to say the least. 

Bear in mind, the DAC in question can have a big affect. Macbook Pro > Mini to Optical > Rein Audio X-DAC is an absolutely amazing sound. I doubt it's neutral, but it's so subtly musical, bassy and natural sounding.
Unlike using it from say, an iPhone (LOD) or even (to a lesser degree) USB from X-DAC, there's little to none of that sibilance you can on rare occasion get with the T1. It's a slightly smoother more analogue sounding like affair. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #911 of 1,550
might want to sell your vio b4 you destroy it lol :) nobodies gonna want it if you tell the world how your 85$ amp matched a 1000$ amp.

edit: im being a little sarcastic, a half truth. I don't really think you'd have a hard time selling it though :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #912 of 1,550

Quote:
might want to sell your vio b4 you destroy it lol :) nobodies gonna want it if you tell the world how your 85$ amp matched a 1000$ amp.

edit: im being a little sarcastic, a half truth. I don't really think you'd have a hard time selling it though :)

There's always Audiogon.  I'm sure it would sell quickly.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #913 of 1,550
Someone actualy conducted a blind test, I can't wait to hear the results against 1000 dollar gear.

As soon as I get a mailing address, I am gonna get a JDS O2.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #914 of 1,550
Bare in mind though, aside from the sonic differences, you have to consider the actual build quality and design as well. I'd imagine we put at least £200-£300 on the build and design of say, a Macbook Pro alone. The V200 is literally a tank with the most impressive engineered design compared to the nimble and rather flimsy design and chassis of the O2. One has a casing and connector's that feel like they'd survive a nuclear attack, the other feels like it would split open if dropped.

I was talking about it to my other half, and she brought up an interesting point. She mentioned that the O2, is supposedly designed or originally built by one man, at least with respect to R&D, whereas the Violectric would have been researched and designed, potentially by a team of people since it is an actual company with staff paid to do such things. Comparative to NwAvGuy who's basically done it on charity. All these things, including rent and other costs factor in to the final production cost of an item.

There is also the fact that you can potentially use two headphones on the V200 simultaneously. A small thing but actually quite useful. Literally my other half can just sit beside me, pick up another pair of headphones and plug them in to join my world. It's a welcome feature. A dual volume knob would have made it even better though.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #915 of 1,550
I don't really think the 1000 dollar price unjustified.  It takes alot to make those devices and people have to get paid.  And there is some to be said for features and build quality.  However, to often hear people equate that with placebo sound effects.  Sound is the most important thing to me.  I thank you for actually doing a blind test and I really want to see the results!  If your interested, I am conducing an mp3 vs lossless blind test in the sound science forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594167/blind-test-128kbps-mp3-vs-lossless#post_8118013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back