Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #272 of 1,550

Quote:
Which traces in particular are you talking about? I saw someone on DIYAudio talk about a pretty nasty failure condition whereby DC goes to both the DAC and the headphones if some of the traces for the PSU caps are damaged - but the good thing is that should be obvious in initial testing and is very unlikely to develop as a fault later.
As for the MOSFETS, I just never touched any part of them that wasn't plastic - probably for the best!

Interesting.  Do you recall any more details about PCB traces?  When I originally built my O2, it worked fine, but at one point it had issues.  I thought it was the regulators, the diodes, or whatever else, but it turned out to be a PCB trace issue I think...at the power supply caps.  Eventually I fixed it by using my own wire to connect the negative power supply caps to the 7912 regulator.  For me the problem developed probably after handling it when touching up some solder joints, and not with it lying around.  I doubt something like that would happen without mishandling.  I should note that I didn't have any trimmers on hand, so I "trimmed" leads by bending them back and forth until they could be snapped.  Yes, that's really asking for trouble, I know.

IIRC there was some non-trivial DC to the headphones, but they're relatively insensitive AKG K601, which were promptly disconnected and ended up none worse for the wear.  I never checked the input for DC though, so I wonder if I also got some there as well.  Fortunately, I was using a cheap source with a DC blocking cap on the output, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been damaged anyway.  On the other hand, it would have been a good excuse to replace it.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #275 of 1,550

Quote:
Just got mine.  It's leagues ahead of my modded M-Stage.  My source is too powerful, though.  High gain clips, but low gain is plenty loud.

^ whats your source?

as for my O2 and some impressions after maybe 10 minutes listening:

low gain is plenty loud for me with my lcd-2's -  you can see where i'm keeping the volume in my photo.. i will rarely be going any louder. 

build quality, looks and feel seem excellent.. everything feels really solid.  The amp is smaller than i anticipated, which is just fine by me.

sound is just excellent.  It is going to be very interesting listening to my stacker II when it arrives. 

Im happy to report that no matter what i plug or unplug there is no pops or noises.  only when i turn the amp off do i hear a very slight "woof" which was expected, but its hardly bothersome.

the cable you are seeing in my photo is the brown one in the back which i made and has a 1/4" neutrik on the end, which is connected to a three inch long 1/4 to 1/8 "tail" that goes into the amp.  .. the curly thing is a phone cord that snuck into the photo

I dont have my es5's yet.. holidays really slowed that process down.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #276 of 1,550
Just got my O2 amp. It's lovely with my modded T20RP. Significant improvement in the bass compared to driving it out of my X-Fi Go! straight, and I feel like the bass is better compared to my integrated audio jack as well.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #278 of 1,550

Quote:

ordered 21st (pre-order actually as they were not complete yet) shipped on the 30th.. of course new years slowed it down a bit.

I'm assuming you bought it preassembled? I bought the front panel and a completed PCB and bought the enclosure somewhere else so I dont have to wait until the preorder is up. I got the enclosure today and can't get the screws on... ****

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #280 of 1,550

Quote:
Yes, I checked the battery.  It is definately a defective build.  

CherryBomb:

1. What gave you the impression that you cant mention the name of the builder because he is a Head-Fi sponsor ? Thats BS - go back through the old threads on amps from Ray Samuels, Justin Wilson and others - there are numerous posts from frustrated people who were advised to ring Ray (as an example) because he wasnt on top of his email backlog.

2. If your EPH-02 is defective, Oliver has all the details on the Epiphany Acoustics website for you to have it fixed under warranty. They guy is just starting out on this endeavour - if he has dropped the ball due to his workload or whatever, you really need to make him aware of that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584202/epiphany-acoustics-join-head-fi-with-the-ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amp

If you still havent received any response via email by the end of the week, you should take it further with your Consumer Affairs people, but dont just write the builder or his amp off because you have a problem and didnt get an immediate response. I dont have any personal relationship with Oliver, but my view is that competition is good : Ray, Justin and others didnt build their businesses overnight, so lets give Oliver a fighting chance. AFAIK, this isnt Mikael from Singlepower (at least, I *hope* it isnt Mikael ...)

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #281 of 1,550
Order my JDS O2 last week and it should ship this week. Can't wait to listen to it and find out what all the fuzz is about!

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #282 of 1,550

Quote:
Order my JDS O2 last week and it should ship this week. Can't wait to listen to it and find out what all the fuzz is about!

Dare I ask - do you have a "main" or "favorite" rig? :wink:  If so what is it?

Browsing your amp collection in your profile, i would not be surprised if the O2 trumps them all, at least as far as sound quality goes.

on a side note-
It's interesting to watch as NwAvGuys knowlege begins to permiate head-fi.   I am seeing a lot of people reference his work, or ask questions about measurements in more and more threads these days.
Glad to know that being banned is not stopping him from turning this hobby on its head... ok maybe thats an overstatement.. maybe not...

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #283 of 1,550
Quote:
on a side note-
It's interesting to watch as NwAvGuys knowlege begins to permiate head-fi.   I am seeing a lot of people reference his work, or ask questions about measurements in more and more threads these days.
Glad to know that being banned is not stopping him from turning this hobby on its head... ok maybe thats an overstatement.. maybe not...

rolleyes.gif
It's not Lord Voldemort's knowledge, just basic design concepts that have been known forever and have been forgotten and put in a corner for some time when idiophilia took over audiophilia.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #284 of 1,550

Quote:
rolleyes.gif
It's not Lord Voldemort's knowledge, just basic design concepts that have been known forever and forgotten for some time when idiophilia took over audiophilia.

fair enough.  None the less, he's bringing it back to life with a vengance and he seems very thorough in his knowlege.  I havent seen anyone even touch him as far as opposing or arguing his ideas/practices.    I mean when it comes down to it i'd wager that the info on his blog alone more or less destroys about 90% of the current dac/amp market.  But i dont really know what i'm talking about :wink:

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #285 of 1,550
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
It's not Lord Voldemort's knowledge, just basic design concepts that have been known forever and forgotten for some time when idiophilia took over audiophilia.

That fact that on Head-Fi we have to pass around tidbits of his writings in secret and how his blog is treated like the Necronomicon or something contributes to that sort impression.

Sure its been around a long time by now but since few people with the technical expertise and the test equipment to speak definitively about this sort of stuff have spend the time to tell others, answer questions, be helpful, and offer criticism so many people don't know much about it.

OTOH, I eagerly await Lord Voldermort's final and complete grimoire of occult audio knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back