Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Mar 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #1,336 of 1,550
Quote:
Beautiful.  And you thought Nessy and Bigfoot didn't exist either.  Good thing I swapped that opamp so we could unify the paranormal and known verses.  Any other personal commentary you'd like to make based on your empirical certitude of the universe?

I was unaware this wasn't an impressions thread.  Excuse me.

Well when someone ABXs that kind of thing we'll change our mind just like we'll change out mind when someone drags in a bigfoot carcass or a dead nessie washes up on shore.

In controlled circumstances people never notice the difference between good "consumer" CD players and expensive "audiophile" ones, class AB "pro sound" amps and "audiophile" class A amps, or notice an extra A/D and D/A process inserted into the signal chain.  Considering all that, I find the idea that two opamps which measure to within a few dB of each other on standard nosie and THD tests in a given circuit are audibly different pretty implausible.

Its not impossible, but I don't really think that anyone should give such claims any more consideration that if you had reported bigfoot or something.  Its nothing against you or anyone else here.  I wouldn't even't accept anyone's personal testimony on that sort of thing without some more evidence to back it up.  Hell, even if I thought I saw bigfoot there's not any good reason for me to believe it actually happened.  It might get me curious, I might mount an expedition and ask others who already believe or are curious to help me, but I wouldn't go around telling other people that I know bigfoot exists or that I saw it.  The most I'd say is that I think I saw it.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,338 of 1,550
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,340 of 1,550
I might have tried if I thought I could do it...

On a serious note, such things are often annoying to arrange and I'm sure a lot of people will say that $500 isn't worth all the time it would take.  Some will say that its just a cheap publicity stunt since they "know" than no one will take Voldermort up on his offer.  They might say he should offer more but I think $500 out of his own pocket is plenty.  Its not likely he's going to get cool million from a rich benefactor for his challenge like the JREF got for theirs.

What Voldermort's challenge has that the JREF's doesn't is a penalty to the challenger if they lose.  I think it shows that no one is really that confident about passing the test though you could easily spin it the other way as well and say it shows Voldermort is insecure.  The last I heard from Voldermort no one has contacted him about any of his challenges yet but sooner or later I'm expecting someone to ask Voldermort about what charity he's picked for if he wins and then for people to complain about the charity being a bad choice for some reason.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,341 of 1,550

Quote:
The last I heard from Voldermort no one has contacted him about any of his challenges yet

That's not entirely true and per the parameters of his own guidelines he asked an intermediary be contacted.  But I'm sure that's how he imagines it just like the reimagining of other events he's posted about.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,342 of 1,550
Quote:
That's not entirely true and per the parameters of his own guidelines he asked an intermediary be contacted.

On his site it just says that a 3rd party would conduct the tests, probably to keep people of accusing him from cheating.  Do you know something I don't?

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,343 of 1,550
Regardless of what we think happened specifically (hard to say unless you're involved yourself), it should be fairly clear that nobody has been very insistent and serious about taking the challenge, and gotten to the stage of planning everything out and finalizing the details.  Otherwise, we would have heard about specific test procedures and test dates, or something along those lines.

An issue is lack of open communication, because people would prefer to set up and discuss things on head-fi, and he's banned here.  Has anybody ever opened up a thread about this, even on head-fi?  (I'm certainly not aware of every single thread, so I could have easily missed something.)  If you're really interested in setting something up, you would probably do it on another forum where he can actually respond, though.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,344 of 1,550
V's comment about setting up a challege:

start a thread on diyAudio or ABI, someone let me know it's there, and I'll gladly respond in an open public forum to any blind challenge requests.

inb4 moved to SS

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,345 of 1,550

Before anyone actually takes up the official challenge, I'd imagine they would first start by rolling an opamp in their O2, feeling like they can hear a difference.

Then, they'd acquire another O2, with a different opamp in each, and directly compare them (same source with a splitter), seeing if they can identify which unit is which.

Then they'd start posting in a thread like this saying "AD797 is clearly identifiable, 10/10", or the like.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,346 of 1,550

Quote:
I might have tried if I thought I could do it...

+1

Quote:

Before anyone actually takes up the official challenge, I'd imagine they would first start by rolling an opamp in their O2, feeling like they can hear a difference.

Then, they'd acquire another O2, with a different opamp in each, and directly compare them (same source with a splitter), seeing if they can identify which unit is which.

Then they'd start posting in a thread like this saying "AD797 is clearly identifiable, 10/10", or the like.

It's pretty good just as it is, but I think you will degrade performance by interchanging components if you don't measure carefully.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,348 of 1,550
Quote:

Yes, when someone hears a difference with OPA627, AD797, AD8620 etc. it's thanks to "degraded performance", clearly... that is what I'm hearing, 'OK'.

Yes, it is. The opamps in this amp were chosen because they had the best performance in the circuit of all the ones tested. If you roll opamps, the changes you hear are due to degraded performance or placebo, until you prove otherwise with measurements. You should really assume this about any amp, because it's nice to think the engineers knew what they were doing.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,349 of 1,550
For the record, V's challenge is :

1. DBT

2. Meant to test a different amp, that measure sufficiently well. It's never been about a different op-amp in the O2. 

Just my 2 cents ...

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,350 of 1,550
Quote:
Yes, it is. The opamps in this amp were chosen because they had the best performance in the circuit of all the ones tested. If you roll opamps, the changes you hear are due to degraded performance or placebo, until you prove otherwise with measurements. You should really assume this about any amp, because it's nice to think the engineers knew what they were doing.

As already stated, he didn't measure or listen to particular opamps.

If an engineer builds a merry go round and paints the horses, it doesn't mean he used the best paint, especially if he never even saw or tested that paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back