Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Mar 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,306 of 1,550

Quote:

So I'm curious, has any experimented with different opamps in this yet?  I heard of someone in Hong-Kong using AD797 or the like.  Thanx.

nwavguy already did all the experimenting, the end result was the O2.  He mentions in his blog that he tried dozens of different opamps and the final build was what brought the best overall performance. You could certainly try different opamps, I just don't see the point of messing with something that was custom built using the best professional equipment. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,307 of 1,550

Quote:
Why would anyone do that?

Quote:
nwavguy already did all the experimenting, the end result was the O2.  He mentions in his blog that he tried dozens of different opamps and the final build was what brought the best overall performance. You could certainly try different opamps, I just don't see the point of messing with something that was custom built using the best professional equipment. 

Even though nwavguy tried and tested many opamps in designing the O2, there's no reason not to experiment a little for your own curiosity.  The best measuring may not be the best fit for your taste.  I haven't rolled any opamps, but I prefer to just build other diy designs and try those.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,308 of 1,550

Quote:
So I'm curious, has any experimented with different opamps in this yet?  I heard of someone in Hong-Kong using AD797 or the like.  Thanx.

Yup.  Purrin and myself tried the LM4562 on the input side and it cleared up some of that JRC congestion bringing the transparency closer to my Leckerton w/ the OPA209s.  I'll be leaving the JRC out.

Quote:
nwavguy already did all the experimenting, the end result was the O2.

No he didn't.  In fact, he left a number of opamps some of us wanted specifically tested off or omitted for whatever reason.  When I saw the list of opamps he tested I just 
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the O2 was designed for linear power delivery and that's what it does.  Timbre and tonality are anathema to the very concept of the O2 and it's supporters.  The O2's 'transparency' is also overhyped here IMO.  So yeah, my JRC input opamp is rotting at the bottom of a box somewhere.  Maybe the LM4562 just sounds better because it costs $2 more.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #1,309 of 1,550

Quote:
 I just don't see the point of messing with something that was custom built using the best professional equipment. 

I see you're new to the community :wink:

The Head-Fi reasoning goes as such: Op-Amps are like tubes, therefore they can be rolled like tubes.

Trying to fight the urge to 'improve' on true and tested designs, is much like trying to prevent the change of the seasons.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,310 of 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why would anyone do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringyring /img/forum/go_quote.gif

nwavguy already did all the experimenting

Well uh, for starters, you can win $500.00

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,311 of 1,550

Quote:

Anyway, the O2 was designed for linear power delivery and that's what it does.  Timbre and tonality are anathema to the very concept of the O2 and it's supporters.  The O2's 'transparency' is also overhyped here IMO.  So yeah, my JRC input opamp is rotting at the bottom of a box somewhere.  Maybe the LM4562 just sounds better because it costs $2 more.

Isn't the Leckerton you mentioned previously also made to be highly linear as well? I'm interested to hear (or read I guess) why you prefer it. I'd think the O2's ability to drive a larger number of headphones and the price point would make it a much better option for most. How great is the different between the two? I haven't tried the UHA6 though so I'm not going to pretend like I'm some authority on the subject. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,312 of 1,550

Quote:
Yup.  Purrin and myself tried the LM4562 on the input side and it cleared up some of that JRC congestion bringing the transparency closer to my Leckerton w/ the OPA209s.  I'll be leaving the JRC out.

No he didn't.  In fact, he left a number of opamps some of us wanted specifically tested off or omitted for whatever reason.  When I saw the list of opamps he tested I just 
rolleyes.gif

Perhaps you could make a suggestion that he run some tests with that particular modification to see how it performs on the test bench... He seems pretty happy to take suggestions.  

And as far as testing, I'm sure there are hundreds of op-amps he could have tested as well, both less and more expensive... but being this was already a rather large project all done in his free time, out of his own pocket, I probably would have limited my testing to a handful of opamps as well that fit a certain criteria on the spec sheet, but once his design goals were met, why keep searching further?

None of this is meant to say you are wrong, I just would like it measured because I am more of a numbers/measurements guy personally.  I can say though, if you are correct and there is a big improvement, I can only imagine what that would sound like considering how much I love the sound as it is :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,316 of 1,550
Quote:
Quote:
Well uh, for starters, you can win $500.00

the $500 goes to charity

So I'll send it to Antarctica, it's still "winning" ;p

I'd just like to see more experimentation and thoughts on the opamp's he's outlined he thinks will sound identical.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,317 of 1,550

rolleyes.gif

Analixus you and Purrin need to take up the Opamp listening challenge, it would really help the community. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,318 of 1,550
Quote:
Analixus you and Purrin need to take up the Opamp listening challenge, it would really help the community. 

It seems what is required is three objective2's, two of them with the same opamp, and one with a different opamp (of your choice..?), and being able to ABX them, i.e. hear any difference at all.

It just seems a little too easy, that's why I'm here asking if anyone has experimented yet.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #1,319 of 1,550
It's nice this product is cheap enough to actually consider having 3 of them. Imagine getting 3 Balancing Acts or similar to ABX tube/opamp rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back