REVIEW: Nuforce NE-7M iPhone IEM vs Denon C700 and Klipsch Image X10 (NE-8 Impressions Added 1/15/09)
Feb 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #811 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznofazns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have experience using the Fiio E3 or E5 with the NE-6/NE-7M? Focalprice.com has the E5 for $15.99 and the E3 for $6.25 with free international shipping, so I figured I would give both of em a shot (free order tracking with $20 purchases). But, I would like some input about this combo first.

Focalprice.com offers Fiio E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier 3.5mm ,discount Fiio E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier 3.5mm,Fiio E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier 3.5mm products,low price Fiio E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier 3.5mm,cheap Fiio E5 Portable Head

Focalprice.com offers Fiio E3 Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier 3.5mm (Black) ,discount Fiio E3 Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier 3.5mm (Black),Fiio E3 Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier 3.5mm (Black) products,low price Fiio E3 Earph

CAN'T use NE-7M with the E3 without an adpater like the Shure volume attenuator, because the E3 doesn't like the 4 pole TRS plug on the NE-7M. The adapter takes the NE-7M down to 3 conductors so the E3 will work with it. I don't know about the E5. So, once you have the adapter between the NE-7M and the E3, the sound is fine with the combo.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #813 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice for a $50 set of in-ears. Very thorough review as always HPA, good stuff.

If you want another $40 In Ear to compete with the X10, check out the Metro.Fi 170. It compares more directly to the X10 because its sound signature is a lot closer. The NE-7M has a brighter character than the X10, whereas the MF170 has almost carbon copy signature. I would compare the NE-7M more to the X5.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #815 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by kretzschmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ne7m works with fiio e5, no adapter needed

Is this coming from personal experience? If so, how much improved is the sound quality?

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #816 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by myltz400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compare these to the Klipsch S4 and does the Shure attenuator or any other addaptor fix the problem with Creative Zen products? The four pin plugs seem to not work with my Zen.

Thanks

I have had the NE-7M for about a year now and recently bought the S4i thinking it would be an upgrade. I have found I like the Nuforce IEM better! It is not as detailed but sounds smoother and more natural to me. The S4 definitely has more bass but sometimes it is too much. The Ne-7M has a larger soundstage as well which is important to me. I listen to NE-7M with the Shure silicones which opens up the sound a great deal over the stock tips and the Comply tips. I burned in the S4i over 100 hours but only listened to them with the stock medium tips. The S4i sibilance does go away with proper burn in but I find I only like them better when listening to hip hop. These are the only IEM's I have ever listened to so take it for what it is worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #817 of 854
Quote:

Is this coming from personal experience? If so, how much improved is the sound quality?

Yes it is from personal experience, to my ears it makes it sound a tad bit louder, and a very small amount of hiss was added with the fiio. For me I liked it for the gym, It would give me the extra volume boost needed. For personal listing at home, I would not use my e5, it did not add clarity.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #818 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by kretzschmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it is from personal experience, to my ears it makes it sound a tad bit louder, and a very small amount of hiss was added with the fiio. For me I liked it for the gym, It would give me the extra volume boost needed. For personal listing at home, I would not use my e5, it did not add clarity.

Thanks for the info. That's kind of a shame since I already ordered the E5. I never find myself needing more volume from my Blackberry + NE-7M, but I do wish the sound was a bit less harsh at higher volumes. I'm also a bass junkie, so the built in EQ switch appealed to me (not that the NE-7M lacks bass, but still).

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #819 of 854
Quote:

Thanks for the info. That's kind of a shame since I already ordered the E5. I never find myself needing more volume from my Blackberry + NE-7M, but I do wish the sound was a bit less harsh at higher volumes. I'm also a bass junkie, so the built in EQ switch appealed to me (not that the NE-7M lacks bass, but still).

Whether the E5 helps or not depends on the quality of the player you use it with. It might improve the Blackberry sound, if it does a better job amping the phones than the blackberry can. Driving the E5 with the blackberry may be an easier load for the Blackberry than a phone that demands more current output than it's good at. Wont know till you try it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #820 of 854
Wanted to add I've also used the NE7M with the E5, works no problem. As for sound improvement... to be honest the E5 doesn't do much to the sound. It's more to up the juice than anything else in case you have a hard-to-drive phone (but not too hard).

Also, wanted to point out that if you use an LOD no hiss is added (or you'll only hear it on a really sensitive IEM like a Super.Fi or Triple.Fi).

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #821 of 854
Just ordered the NE7Ms, largely because of this thread. Will likely listen to them mostly directly from my iPhone, though I'll certainly give them a try from the µDAC on my desk. Might convince me to switch to lossless on my iPhone, which still has the compressed tracks I used prior to upgrading my computer audio. Cutting my iPhone music selection by a factor of 3-5 will be hard, however.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #822 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered the NE7Ms, largely because of this thread. Will likely listen to them mostly directly from my iPhone, though I'll certainly give them a try from the µDAC on my desk. Might convince me to switch to lossless on my iPhone, which still has the compressed tracks I used prior to upgrading my computer audio. Cutting my iPhone music selection by a factor of 3-5 will be hard, however.

Be sure to try the recommended tips with them (E2c silicone or Complys T400), and to give them 80-100 hours of burn-in for them to settle down.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #823 of 854
My NE7Ms arrived. Sounded very good on my walk home from the mail room (about a mile), listening to Sade, "Stronger then Pride", a compressed iTunes download. Fit pretty well with the shipped tips. May do that dance later, but first, I'll compare compressed and uncompressed music through my µDAC and directly from the iPhone.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #824 of 854
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill St. Clair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My NE7Ms arrived. Sounded very good on my walk home from the mail room (about a mile), listening to Sade, "Stronger then Pride", a compressed iTunes download. Fit pretty well with the shipped tips. May do that dance later, but first, I'll compare compressed and uncompressed music through my µDAC and directly from the iPhone.

Glad you like them. If you do try other tips, let us know what you think.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #825 of 854
Like Bill, I ordered a set of these last night because of this thread. I've been rereading a lot here since I pulled the trigger . I can't wait! Thank you for the in depth review. I will post my thoughts once I receive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back