[Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again
Nov 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #288 of 349
I am saving to get a K10 but considering I am not in close proximity to anyone with one of these magical artifacts I dont know how big they are and how do they fit into relatively smaller ears. Aka, will it stick out or it is something that I can think as sleep friendly earbuds (I wont be wearing it for sleeping time of course!).

If you have any picture wearing it could you possibly share it?

Thank you.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #289 of 349
Well, the size of course depends on your anatomy for the custom fit, but there are some certain physical minimum limits (they do have to cram 10 drivers in each ear, of course!).

I am probably not a good example, as I have giant, cavernous ears (as confirmed by Brannan), but I don't find them to be overly big.  For my custom K10s, they stick out maybe 2-3 mm from my ears -- enough for the cable connection and just a tiny bit more.  If you have less space in your ears to place the drivers, I can definitely imagine them sticking out even further.  Remember, there are 10 drivers and not 2 or 3 -- these aren't going to be flush.

As for sleeping in them, I haven't done that, but your mileage may vary.  I explicitly requested exceptionally long canals (again, cavernous ears) in order to get the absolute best isolation.  Mine insert very deep into the canal, which is fine for when I'm sitting up or laying on my back.  However, if I turn to either side, my ear canals shift just enough where it becomes slightly uncomfortable -- not enough to be painful, but enough to cause a slight loss in seal in some positions.  I can find a few positions that I would probably be comfortable sleeping in (I'm a side sleeper), but I don't think I'd really want to do that with my $2000 IEMs.  If I could sleep on my back, though, it'd be fine for me.  It's not the pressure on the outside that will get you, but the pressure on the inside of the ear.

Of course, everybody's ear canals are going to be different.  My wife has crazy movement in her ear canals as her jaw changes positions, and she simply cannot wear her 4Cs in any position but sitting up.

If you have relatively small ears, they may stick out a bit further than they do for me.  If your ears are super tiny, you might actually consider the K10U rather than the custom K10.  The enclosure is absolutely tiny -- it's the same one that's used for the 3, 4, 5, and 6 -- it's absolutely crazy that they could fit 10 drivers in there.  I found it to be literally 1/3rd the size of my custom K10s.

Anyways, I don't have a picture of them inserted, but I do have a picture of my custom K10s next to a US dime (I'm sure you can find dimensions online and use that as a comparison).

http://i.imgur.com/a7Polzv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wSXl63E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/btLyR8T.jpg

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #290 of 349
sq3rjick, thank you very much for the pictures and the information. I will get this headphones sometime in 2015.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #292 of 349
Mar 7, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #294 of 349
  I am saving to get a K10 but considering I am not in close proximity to anyone with one of these magical artifacts I dont know how big they are and how do they fit into relatively smaller ears. Aka, will it stick out or it is something that I can think as sleep friendly earbuds (I wont be wearing it for sleeping time of course!).

If you have any picture wearing it could you possibly share it?

Thank you.

Not a great picture, but maybe it will give you an idea.  I have large ears, so probably not going to be sleep friendly.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #296 of 349

not enough room in the shells to accept recessed sockets + 10 drivers

Thanks Doc for the answer. I'm getting molds done on Tuesday.

I understand about space in the shell. My middle name is not 'Graceful'.  For instance, occasionally getting up from an airplane seat the cable will be under the armrest and when I stand up, ouch. I realize that if I am really forceful in the plane scenario or something similar, recessed or not, something will give.  Does the cable easily come out of the socket? Can the cable maker, going for balanced right away, use specific pins?

Appreciate you taking the time.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #297 of 349

I understand about space in the shell. My middle name is not 'Graceful'.  For instance, occasionally getting up from an airplane seat the cable will be under the armrest and when I stand up, ouch. I realize that if I am really forceful in the plane scenario or something similar, recessed or not, something will give.  Does the cable easily come out of the socket? Can the cable maker, going for balanced right away, use specific pins?

Just have to embed being careful with your ciems as part of your brain, thoughts when repeated over and over actually form channels in the brain.  If you're constantly checking them to make sure the cord is in a safe place before you transition to a new position, you should be fine.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #298 of 349

Two words for you my friend: Shirt. Clip.

Like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Headphone-Earphone-Cable-Wire-Cord-Clip-Nip-Clamp-Holder-Mount-Collar-Lapel-B-/231061654111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35cc590a5f

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #299 of 349
  Two words for you my friend: Shirt. Clip.

Like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Headphone-Earphone-Cable-Wire-Cord-Clip-Nip-Clamp-Holder-Mount-Collar-Lapel-B-/231061654111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35cc590a5f

Do use balanced silver cables? I have a couple of clips and both cables L/R will not fit in the space for a cable or rather a wire. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #300 of 349

Do use balanced silver cables? I have a couple of clips and both cables L/R will not fit in the space for a cable or rather a wire. 

I use Linum cables, stupidly thin. But I do have a shirt clip that is able to handle big, fat cables as well. I stole it from a phone headset at work, but it's the same as the one shown here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/m-fidelity-sa-12-custom-in-ear-monitors-review/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back