REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #736 of 835

Quote:
I just ordered a silver Concerto and Stage DAC combination.  Jan responded within 15 minutes of my initial email.  The amp and DAC were shipped out today, and he said it should take about two weeks to arrive here (Northern Michigan).

I already have a WA6SE, which I love (although it is not totally silent, which I have heard the Concerto is) and will keep, at least for awhile.  It will nice to have a tube amp and a solid state amp.  

My planned hookup will be to connect both my Marantz 5003 CD player and a Mac Mini running iTunes (Apple Lossless) to the Stage DAC using coaxial for the CD player and optical for the Mini.  Then on to the Concerto, and to my headphones.

I will probably also connect the RCA analog outs from the CD player directly to the WA6SE, using the CD player's internal DAC, which is quite good.  
The iTunes library on the Mac Mini will be eventually be controlled with an iPad.

I do like the tube sound of the Woo, but the faint noise it produces bothers me a little; it's only audible when no music is playing, but I'm hoping that what I've read about the dead silence of the Concerto is true.  

Jan made a deal with the devil and as such it is impossible to hear noise on the concerto... well in my experience at any rate :wink:. Even my most sensitive IEMs could never hiss or hum or anything at any volume.

No question it is an excellent design.

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #737 of 835
The Concerto is the quietest amp I've owned... if no music is playing, it's impossible to tell whether the amp is turned on or not.

Interestingly enough, the WA6SE is the quietest _tube_ amp I've ever used... mine is dead silent, much more so than the Mapletrees or other tube amps I've owned. I've read conflicting reports from others about their WA6SEs, though.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #738 of 835
I own a concerto and stagedac combination, and I tried very hard to listen to any hum or background noise with the volume knob on full in high gain (using beyerdynamic T1) - and I could not hear anything - absolutely black.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #739 of 835
It's great to hear that the Concerto is totally quiet.  My WA6SE has such a faint hum, it's very difficult to hear at all, but it's there.

If I pause the music, and the furnace and/or refrigerator is not running, I still can't usually hear it, but then, if I turn the volume off and switch off the amp power, I can hear the hum stop.

I went through the whole procedure checking for ground loops, bad interconnects, hum coming from source components, tubes, etc.; everything is working fine, but the faint hum is coming from the amp, and even though it does not affect listening at all, I know it's there.

I live in a former copper mining area, and when I was a kid, the stamp mill near our house would make incessant noise all night long, which I easily learned to sleep through.  But when the shift changed at 3 a.m., and the equipment was shut down briefly, I always woke up.

I have been wanting a choice of tubes and SS amps for awhile, though, so even if my Woo was dead silent I would still probably be getting the Concerto.  Hopefully my LCD-2s will be available soon, too (Dec. 3 preorder) so I will have lots of new combinations to try out.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #740 of 835
One other question; do the Concerto and the Stage DAC come with AC power cords?  The website doesn't mention whether or not they do.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #742 of 835
Hmmm... That was certainly not the case with my Concerto. As best I recall, it did come with a power cord that was of rather beefy, good-quality workmanship. I use a Zu Birth cable for that, instead, and quickly stowed away the stock cable, if I remember correctly. I have no idea about the StageDAC, however.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #743 of 835
Oh really..I guess it's bcos Meier did not have cords with the appropriate plug for my country
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #744 of 835
Already owning this amp + dtt 990 pro (love this combination :D).  

I listen mainly to rock/swingy music/blues and also reggae, hip hop and pop.

I'm looking for new high-end cans.
Which headphone would you consider?

- sennheiser HD 800 (1000 euro)
-LCD-2                     (1000 euro)
-beyerdynamic t1      (900 euro)

Thx for the input.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #745 of 835
I live in the US and received 2 power cords - pretty meaty ones actually - one for the stagedac and one for the concerto. Jan was also kind enough to throw in an optical cable and USB without me asking for it.

Quote:
One other question; do the Concerto and the Stage DAC come with AC power cords?  The website doesn't mention whether or not they do.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #746 of 835
I love the sound from the T1 - very transparent and detailed with the concerto + stagedac combination.

Quote:
Already owning this amp + dtt 990 pro (love this combination :D).  

I listen mainly to rock/swingy music/blues and also reggae, hip hop and pop.

I'm looking for new high-end cans.
Which headphone would you consider?

- sennheiser HD 800 (1000 euro)
-LCD-2                     (1000 euro)
-beyerdynamic t1      (900 euro)

Thx for the input.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #747 of 835
The T1 does well with the Concerto, eh? I am currently enjoying my DT990 600's with it, and wonder if anyone out there have been noticing similar. So much has been said about Beyer's requiring tubes to sound their best, I often wonder if I am hearing the bassy DT990's at the top of their potential. How about DT880 600's, as well? I wonder if the very detailed, slightly bright Concerto pairs well with these fairly high register/highly resolving cans?

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #749 of 835

Quote:
The T1 does well with the Concerto, eh? I am currently enjoying my DT990 600's with it, and wonder if anyone out there have been noticing similar. So much has been said about Beyer's requiring tubes to sound their best, I often wonder if I am hearing the bassy DT990's at the top of their potential. How about DT880 600's, as well? I wonder if the very detailed, slightly bright Concerto pairs well with these fairly high register/highly resolving cans?

The Concerto and T1s do work very well together...no doubt to my ears. But, I still prefer them (and all 600 ohm beyers) with tubest to get the most out of them. I should hopefully have my new Woo WA2 in late next week and as it's an OTL amp, even better suited for the T1s over my MAD Ear+HD.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #750 of 835
 It's been a month since I ordered my Concerto and StageDAC :frowning2:
I think it might be held up in customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back