REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Dec 24, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #721 of 835

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I just try it.

So whats the main purpose of this ?
To increase the main gain ?

But in the case of iem usage, isn't it best to keep the gain at the lowest possible ?

It will lower the gain on the Low Gain from -6dB to -12dB....so you should be able to listen to IEMs on low gain. The High Gain is unaffected.

You mean if i remove those black "connectors" from s8, s9 and s10, it will reduce the low gain ?
And I thought it increases the gain.
Need to go and test it again.

Thanks

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #722 of 835

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I just try it.

So whats the main purpose of this ?
To increase the main gain ?

But in the case of iem usage, isn't it best to keep the gain at the lowest possible ?

It will lower the gain on the Low Gain from -6dB to -12dB....so you should be able to listen to IEMs on low gain. The High Gain is unaffected.

You mean if i remove those black "connectors" from s8, s9 and s10, it will reduce the low gain ?
And I thought it increases the gain.
Need to go and test it again.

Thanks

That I'm not sure...mine was setup default to the -12dB range. The instructions are in the manual. I would start there.

Cheers!

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #723 of 835
According to the manual..
it said"  For medium sensitive headphones, it is possible to increase the gain of the lower gain setting by 6 dB. For this please remove... ...Now the gain switch will effect a change in gain of 10dB only."

Which tallies with what I heard, increasing in gain, instead of what you said of reducing in gain...

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #724 of 835
Got my LCD-2s yesterday, and I can say the Concerto really pairs with them VERY well. Much better than with the T1.. It balances out the LCD-2's sound signature perfectly. With the T1 I definitely felt like it was too bright to my liking, but 3 ppl i've A/B with preferred the T1s.. so what do I know. :wink: I guess I just like bassy/punchy/dark sound. 

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #725 of 835

Quote:
According to the manual..
it said"  For medium sensitive headphones, it is possible to increase the gain of the lower gain setting by 6 dB. For this please remove... ...Now the gain switch will effect a change in gain of 10dB only."

Which tallies with what I heard, increasing in gain, instead of what you said of reducing in gain...

So I guess it was set on the lower gain. So it must be your overly sensitive IEMs. Funny, for universal IEMs, the Shures are about as sensitive as I've found. But I hear zero noise floor with the Concerto; I even hear more background noise out of my iPod.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #726 of 835
The Concerto has a dead silent noise floor with everything I've stuck into it so far: DT990/600, DT770pro/80, MDR-V6, MDR-EX82 (in-ear), very old HD430, and even some gaming headsets and el cheapo earbuds that came with my old discman, and regardless of using a 3,5 mm -> 6,3 mm plug. Amazing!

I believe I've asked this before, but is it weird or wrong that I'm using the low gain for my DT990/600? When I set it to high the volume steps are too much to be able to set a comfortable sound level, after the third or fourth step it's already too loud for me.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #727 of 835
I really think the problem lies in my concerto..

When listening to music at times, there will be a sizzle noise follow by loud buzz, totally unlike the "dead" silent that you guys are reporting..

Time to make a call..

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #728 of 835
Ok confirm, the problem lies with the amp.

Changed the RCA cable, change the power supply cable, tried using my audio technica AD700, change the 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptor, the problem still persist.

1) plugging in of the headphone causes some static sound << if it this problem alone, i can understand as its quite normal.

2) when flipping up the gain switch, there is a pop sound on the left channel Only.

3) when the music is playing, be it on my jh16 or ad700, there will be a sizzling noise, then it will slowing grow louder into a zapping noise, then to a popping sound, in which i try to turn down the volume, change the mode on the concerto, check my dac, interconnects, all doesn't affect the popping noise.

Thats why my friend and I concluded that it was channel imbalance problem.

Forward to Jan Meier about this issue.

Wonder what will be done..

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #729 of 835
just a question: does your amp make a pop sound when you on the gain switch ?

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #730 of 835
Ok, Jan advised me to send the amp back to them.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #733 of 835
Jan 2, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #734 of 835

Quote:
concerto is my best amp i've ever heard so far :wink:

so far :) thats really good.. I thought the same when I started with the Meier Cantate.2 :)

btw this is an excellent DAC/Amp combo..

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #735 of 835
I just ordered a silver Concerto and Stage DAC combination.  Jan responded within 15 minutes of my initial email.  The amp and DAC were shipped out today, and he said it should take about two weeks to arrive here (Northern Michigan).

I already have a WA6SE, which I love (although it is not totally silent, which I have heard the Concerto is) and will keep, at least for awhile.  It will nice to have a tube amp and a solid state amp.  

My planned hookup will be to connect both my Marantz 5003 CD player and a Mac Mini running iTunes (Apple Lossless) to the Stage DAC using coaxial for the CD player and optical for the Mini.  Then on to the Concerto, and to my headphones.

I will probably also connect the RCA analog outs from the CD player directly to the WA6SE, using the CD player's internal DAC, which is quite good.  
The iTunes library on the Mac Mini will be eventually be controlled with an iPad.

I do like the tube sound of the Woo, but the faint noise it produces bothers me a little; it's only audible when no music is playing, but I'm hoping that what I've read about the dead silence of the Concerto is true.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back