REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #676 of 835
Ortho-specific?! Isn't it widely believed that the Concerto is one of the best matches for the LCD-2 and HE-5LE? One day I dream of trying out the former pairing. But first, HE-5LE's!

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #677 of 835

Quote:
Ortho-specific?! Isn't it widely believed that the Concerto is one of the best matches for the LCD-2 and HE-5LE? One day I dream of trying out the former pairing. But first, HE-5LE's!

It definitely does... my time with the concerto and LCD-2 was definitely awesome... just like the concerto with any other headphone.

That doesn't mean it is the best match for orthos... it is a great match, but something class a with a little bit more power would technically be better I suppose... either way it sounds amazing and should more than satisfy you.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #678 of 835

Quote:

Well, at least ortho-specific for the extremely power-hungry HE-6 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #679 of 835
Fair enough. I get it now! Thanks those who have rung in to let me know that my LCD-2/Concerto dreams are not far-fetched, however. Isn't HiFiMAN working on an amp for the HE-6, specifically (much like the EF-5, which is often said the best power option for the HE-5LE)?

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #680 of 835
sad if Jan stops producing the Concerto. IMO it was the best solid state amp I heard for headphones.It was a very good match with both the LCD2 and the T1. It is powerful and musical and handled both cans very well. On a positive note if it is discontinued the price will drive higher for used ones. Jan should reconsider and since it is a winner why mess with it unless it can be improved upon. If i wasn't such a tube nut I would have kept it but the idea of adding speakers to my headfi rig was just too tempting.  For me IMO tubes are better at musicality but the Concerto was no slouch in this area.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #681 of 835
I got the amp a few days ago and so far I am very impressed with it. I always thought i would always be a "tube guy" but the Concerto has definitely changed my mind. The clarity and detail I am getting on the T1, *without* losing any of its fun, is pretty amazing. I look fwd to how the sound develops further with more usage.

One question.. On some music there's some harsh treble highs that really bothers me, mostly on rock/alt music when there's electrical guitars going. Note that this was also the case with my other amp. Is this a problem with the recordings themselves or in my rig? 

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #682 of 835

Quote:
Fair enough. I get it now! Thanks those who have rung in to let me know that my LCD-2/Concerto dreams are not far-fetched, however. Isn't HiFiMAN working on an amp for the HE-6, specifically (much like the EF-5, which is often said the best power option for the HE-5LE)?

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Yeah, there will be an EF-6, but it'll be a few months as far as I know.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #683 of 835

Quote:
sad if Jan stops producing the Concerto. IMO it was the best solid state amp I heard for headphones.It was a very good match with both the LCD2 and the T1. It is powerful and musical and handled both cans very well. On a positive note if it is discontinued the price will drive higher for used ones. Jan should reconsider and since it is a winner why mess with it unless it can be improved upon. If i wasn't such a tube nut I would have kept it but the idea of adding speakers to my headfi rig was just too tempting.  For me IMO tubes are better at musicality but the Concerto was no slouch in this area.

If it is discontinued I can only imagine that the reason is that something better is on its way. The Concerto has been a success as far as I can tell from peoples reactions around here. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #684 of 835

Quote:
I got the amp a few days ago and so far I am very impressed with it. I always thought i would always be a "tube guy" but the Concerto has definitely changed my mind. The clarity and detail I am getting on the T1, *without* losing any of its fun, is pretty amazing. I look fwd to how the sound develops further with more usage.

One question.. On some music there's some harsh treble highs that really bothers me, mostly on rock/alt music when there's electrical guitars going. Note that this was also the case with my other amp. Is this a problem with the recordings themselves or in my rig? 

If you hear it across multiple pieces of gear, with the same headphone (or multiple ones), it is either the headphone(s) or the recording... source/amp is not going to change a lot unless you really use something poor, or not suited for your headphone -which is not the case so I would say it is very much likely your recordings... and that sucks because you can't do much about it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #685 of 835
I'm thinking of upgrading my HR Microamp w/ DM for the Concerto and would appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments.  Is the upgrade "significant"?  Would you do it?

Thanks in advance!!

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #686 of 835

Quote:
I'm thinking of upgrading my HR Microamp w/ DM for the Concerto and would appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments.  Is the upgrade "significant"?  Would you do it?

Thanks in advance!!

I had the HR Micro Amp for my bedside rig (that my wife very quickly nixed) and ended up selling it for the Concerto (I've got 2 amps in my main rig...1 SS and 1 tube) and my answer is:

YES!

The HR Micro amp is great and very portable (and for it's size packs quite a punch), but it is bested in every way by the Concerto.

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #687 of 835

Quote:
Quote:

If it is discontinued I can only imagine that the reason is that something better is on its way. The Concerto has been a success as far as I can tell from peoples reactions around here. 

I was quietly hoping that Jan was developing an amp that is a step up to the Concerto but if you read his post further up, it seems that he is rationalizing his product line and it does read like no more Concerto and no more new amp. 
frown.gif
I really wish I had mis-read it.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #689 of 835
Oooo... Sounds like you will have a pretty amazing rig on your hands. I am currently contemplating picking up a StageDAC in the very near future! Does anybody happen to know if the 'natural crossfeed'-- found on both the Concerto and StageDAC, in elaborated form-- is meant to be 'on' on both the DAC and amp. I kind of worry that more than being redundant, this may be deleterious to the sound quality. Or *fingers crossed* does it actually improve the stereo image of what you are hearing?

Quote:
Jan will be shipping my amp + dac + T1 soon ... :-D

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #690 of 835
I think if you are getting both, my guess would be to switch off crossfeed on the CONCERTO, and control crossfeed only through the STAGEDAC. If you want to completely eliminate crossfeed, you can switch off crossfeed on the STAGEDAC and CONCERTO. I am planning to keep crossfeed permanently switched off on the CONCERTO and control if solely by using the STAGEDAC. And since the STAGEDAC is a great DAC, SQ should be fine.

Quote:
Oooo... Sounds like you will have a pretty amazing rig on your hands. I am currently contemplating picking up a StageDAC in the very near future! Does anybody happen to know if the 'natural crossfeed'-- found on both the Concerto and StageDAC, in elaborated form-- is meant to be 'on' on both the DAC and amp. I kind of worry that more than being redundant, this may be deleterious to the sound quality. Or *fingers crossed* does it actually improve the stereo image of what you are hearing?

Quote:
Jan will be shipping my amp + dac + T1 soon ... :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back