REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Nov 18, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #646 of 835

Quote:
Alex Meir? Do you mean the footballer?! I'm confused.
wink_face.gif

Alex's Meier he meant, as in the amp that I (Alex) had previously owned. :p

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #648 of 835
I have read the w1000x appreciation thread and you said that concerto paired well with w1000x but just for low-listening. I listen to music quite loud so I'm not sure that concerto will work best to me. Will it paired well with w1000x with loud-listening? Thank you

Quote:
Quote:
will this amp pair well with ath-w1000x?

yes, very much so! Although I do not find the W1000X a very amp sensitive headphone.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #649 of 835

Quote:
I have read the w1000x appreciation thread and you said that concerto paired well with w1000x but just for low-listening. I listen to music quite loud so I'm not sure that concerto will work best to me. Will it paired well with w1000x with loud-listening? Thank you

Quote:
Quote:
will this amp pair well with ath-w1000x?

yes, very much so! Although I do not find the W1000X a very amp sensitive headphone.

That was more a critique of the headphone and not the amp. Personally I found it to be come much less linear at high volumes, and consequently like it at lower to mid volumes. IE bass and highs overwhelm the mids at loud volumes, and at low volumes sound "perfect". This is true of a lot of closed headphones though.

The concerto will have no issues driving the W1000X to ear bleeding levels I assure you :p. Very clean and musical on the Concerto... at this price you really couldn't do better.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #652 of 835
don't know why but I just think mid (especially vocal) in W1000x is thin with a bit sharp treble, I prefer tube amp for them sure.

but if you mainly listen instrumental/classical/new ages music, then Concerto is a good choice of course.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #653 of 835
Anticipation... building. Bean count... rising! I have a desperate sorta feeling that my Concerto will be here today or tomorrow. At least I certainly hope so, as I just sold my GLite + DPS and have nary an amp to drive my cans. I cannot wait. *Fingers crossed*

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #654 of 835
I just put in my order for my own Concerto.. hopefully Jan can make miracles happen quickly :wink:

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #655 of 835
I now have the Concerto and will be burning it in over the weekend. Then: positive impressions. (On first listen, it sounds rather amazing! Love that natural crossfeed.) So very happy that Jan was able to get it to me so rapidly. 10 business days exactly from point of shipping.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #656 of 835
I now have a chance to listen to the Concerto, abeit in a system I am not familiar, and compared it against a Rudistor tube amp.

While much has been said about this amp few description has been made of the timbre and tonality of this amp, and it is easy to understand why after audition. It does not seem to have a timbre of its own, and could best be described as transparent, at the same time avoiding being glassy.

Impressive dynamic range and the glare associated with some solid state design is noticably absent. That said, it does not have the lush and liquidity of the Rudi either and is the more matter-of-fact of the two. Subjectively I found the Rudi more musical but the Concerto has a lot to be liked.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #657 of 835
I was shutting things down for the night while listening to my iBasso D4 / SE535s and thought I'd just pop in my IEMs into my Concerto. And, well...
eek.gif

I do hear a bit of hiss with my D4, but with the Concerto...dead silence! Absolutely black background in low gain. The sound stage is unbelievable for an IEM and the fact that a full sized headphone amp that can drive the LCD-2/HD800/T1 easily, it is so versatile that it can also drive really sensitive IEMs too...what an added bonus! Mind you the volume dial is set to 8 o'clock, I am really digging what I'm hearing.

I am very impressed.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #658 of 835

Quote:
I was shutting things down for the night while listening to my iBasso D4 / SE535s and thought I'd just pop in my IEMs into my Concerto. And, well...
eek.gif

I do hear a bit of hiss with my D4, but with the Concerto...dead silence! Absolutely black background in low gain. The sound stage is unbelievable for an IEM and the fact that a full sized headphone amp that can drive the LCD-2/HD800/T1 easily, it is so versatile that it can also drive really sensitive IEMs too...what an added bonus! Mind you the volume dial is set to 8 o'clock, I am really digging what I'm hearing.

I am very impressed.

Haha yeah I remember thinking "What the hell" and plugging my TF10 in and going :0

great stuff

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #659 of 835

Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

I am very impressed.

Haha yeah I remember thinking "What the hell" and plugging my TF10 in and going :0

great stuff

The black background for me was what really caused my :0 moment. Even my FiiO E5 has a slight hiss with my SE535s. Very impressive design for a full sized amp to be so quiet, but yet still have a lot of head room for some power thirsty full sized headphones.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #660 of 835
Santa came early this year:

No, actually he didn't, my wallet took a hit but now I'm a proud owner of a beyerdynamic DT990/600Ω headphone and Meier Audio Corda Concerto amplifier, to be used with my Shanling PCD300A cd player as main source. Received the Concerto a few days ago, and the beyer 990 yesterday, I bought them both new.

I had very high expectations for the Concerto, and I must say it has even exceeded them, so I'm very satisfied with it. It's amazing how silent, or pitch black, the sound level is when no music is playing, was almost scary the first time I realized how empty the background is. This must be due to the active balanced ground thing? I don't have much knowledge about electrical engineering or music production, but I do have a fairly good set of ears. The natural crossfeed filter obviously can make a world of difference on old recordings but in the many years I've been listening to music with headphones I can't say I've ever experienced fatigueing or disorientation due to extreme channel seperation so I don't think I'll need it. But it's still nice to have.
Paired with the beyer 990/600 I'm hearing new things in albums I've been playing regularly since I was a kid, or I'm hearing the same thing in a different, much better way.

I'm not really a good reviewer of audio products, but the way I see it, head-fi is all about enjoying music with decent equipment, and with my new toys I'm a pretty damn happy music lover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back