REVIEW: Meier Audio Concerto headphone amp
Dec 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #661 of 835
Awesome to hear, RazorJack! I am glad that you are digging the DT990 600/Concerto pairing as well. My, this amp is indeed blacker in background than anything else that I have ever heard. An amazing value for a top-performer, certainly.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #662 of 835

Quote:

I'm not really a good reviewer of audio products, but the way I see it, head-fi is all about enjoying music with decent equipment, and with my new toys I'm a pretty damn happy music lover!

and that is indeed what it is all about. :) congrats on the new toys. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #663 of 835

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not really a good reviewer of audio products, but the way I see it, head-fi is all about enjoying music with decent equipment, and with my new toys I'm a pretty damn happy music lover!

and that is indeed what it is all about. :) congrats on the new toys. 

Yes, indeed, but nonetheless I am appreciative of all head-fiers who had reviewed equipment or pen their impressions which has enabled a lot of us to make wiser and less hit-and-miss decisions.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #664 of 835
if i buy any other full sized amp, it will be the concerto but only if i can keep my wa2 too. otherwise no more amps for me. ive read over and over all the great things people have been saying about Jan's work. I hope to try one sooner or later!

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #665 of 835
So... I joined the Concerto club today! Got a very nice, like-new condition amp via the For Sale forums here, and have been ignoring my other obligations tonight to enjoy it (right now, it's Gentle Giant's Free Hand with my T1s). Honestly, on first impression, this amp does not blow away the Gilmore Lite with DPS -- they're in the same general vicinity with one another. A longer listen, however, seems to reveal the Concerto's strengths: detail, tone, soundstage, and control of deep bass. Quite pleased so far... and at least a little optimistic that I'll be able to stick with a Concerto/WA6SE combination for a while without getting "the bug" yet again...

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #666 of 835
I was thinking of getting the CONCERTO and the STAGEDAC as a pair, but the amp is no longer available in black.  Mr. Meier said that that was going to be permanent.  Silver really doesn't match the rest of my stuff.
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #669 of 835
Dear headfellows,

To keep production costs as low as possible every new model is produced in one single large batch. When an amplifier like the CONCERTO is available in two colors I therefore have to estimate how much amplifiers are to be sold in each color.

With the CONCERTO, for some reason or another, the black became much more popular than the silver model. As a result I only have silver models left. Actually, I'm a little bit surprised by this result. Personally I prefer the silver looks!  :)

Please  be noted that there is still plenty of silver amplifiers available. A new production run is not to be expected within the next 6 months.

Sorry,

Jan

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #671 of 835
Thanks for letting us know, Jan. Does this mean that the black version of the Concerto is fully discontinued, or will there be another batch procured in approximately 6 months time, if significant interest allows?

If it so happens that there will be no more of the 'more popular' black model produced, I have a feeling that the general impression here will then be that after the silver model runs out, the Concerto as we now know it will be discontinued. Following this, speculation about a replacement or significant update to the Corda Concerto.  (I personally love my silver desert island giant slayer, and would prefer to see it as a long-time Meier offering.  It does almost everything very well, including giving giants a run for their wallets!)

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #673 of 835
Dear headfellows,

> Does this mean that the black version of the Concerto is fully discontinued, or will there be another batch procured in approximately 6 months time

> Following this, speculation about a replacement or significant update to the Corda Concerto.

The CONCERTO will not be produced anymore so it will only be available in Silver from now on. However, there is still plenty of stock for at least half a year.

What will come next? To be honest, I've no idea yet. Over the last 10 years Meier-Audio has grown from a hobby to a company that is almost too large to handle by one single person (actually last week I had my 10th anniversary!!  :)  A lot has been done to handle this continuous growth, especially outsourcing of the production has helped a lot, but this year I've decided that I no longer want to grow. Enough is enough. However, this implies that I gradually will reduce my sales-programm. Right now I have 8 different models and that is too much. Some models will not be replaced by a successor when they're sold out. Which ones? Sorry, I haven't decided on that one yet. Just wait and you will see.

Cheers

Jan

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #674 of 835
My word! Thanks for letting us know, straight up, Jan. I wish you the best with whatever you choose to do, but-- given the near-unanimous praise over the last year for your newest amp-- I wish that the Concerto be given a longer production life. Who am I to complain, as I do already have a Concerto and no plans at all to upgrade, but as an amp that can drive nearly everything very well, I figured it would become your standby, as it has ours. That said, thanks for the awesome product. Truly, music to my ears! :wink:

Best regards,

Vincent

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #675 of 835

Quote:
I came in to say that. Jan probably has another fllagship amp in the works, maybe an ortho specific one? Not that the Concerto is a slouch by any means...interesting.

-Daniel

That would be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back