Review: MEElectronics HT-21 – Loud & Clear!
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 70
Leakage will always depend on the listening volume. At moderately low volumes they'll be just fine for the library but they are supraaurals and the pads aren't as soft as they could be so there will always be some leakage as you crank up the volume.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 70

Quote:
Nice. Got to love MEELectronics. I wish I could tell you guys the huge favor that Simon from MEElec did for me today. Let's just say they have unbelievable customer service along with great products.

I'm assuming I received help from the same "Simon" today.  Wow, phenomenal customer service!  They have made a very happy customer!  Love their products (especially the M11's).

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 70

Quote:

HT-21 or Porta Pro ...

that to choose?

Depends on what you want - the PortaPro has no isolation and a warm-ish, bass-heavy sound. The HT-21 is pretty well-balanced across the spectrum and noticeably more forward and aggressive on the whole. It does isolate some and the more conventional form factor makes it a bit easier to wear around the neck when not in use.

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #20 of 70
How does the HT-21 compare to the Sennheiser PX200-II?  From reading reviews, it seems like they have a lot in common in terms of form factor and sound signature...but the HT-21 is about half the price.

I tried the PX200-IIs and liked the sound, but was also surprised that I had to turn up my source to get the same volume levels.  They have a low impedance, so I assumed that wouldn't be needed.  (Audible level at 50% volume with stock earbuds = 70% volume for PX200-IIs.)  Are the HT-21s easier to drive?

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #21 of 70

Quote:
How does the HT-21 compare to the Sennheiser PX200-II?  From reading reviews, it seems like they have a lot in common in terms of form factor and sound signature...but the HT-21 is about half the price.

I tried the PX200-IIs and liked the sound, but was also surprised that I had to turn up my source to get the same volume levels.  They have a low impedance, so I assumed that wouldn't be needed.  (Audible level at 50% volume with stock earbuds = 70% volume for PX200-IIs.)  Are the HT-21s easier to drive?

The HT-21 is not quite as good as the PX200-II in my book - it's more forward/aggressive and not as detailed - but it's not too far off and I don't think paying 2x more for the Senns is justified. 

The HT-21 is slightly more efficient so you won't need as much juice (I think it has higher sensitivity). However, if you think the  PX200-II is hard to drive, don't even think about trying the PX90 :p.

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #22 of 70
"On the whole the HT-21 is an aggressive headphone"

Wow, you weren't kidding. I'm auditioning a pair of HT-21s for an upcoming review and decided to take them with me to school to listen to music with on my lengthy break between classes, replacing my HD228s, at least for the day and the two songs I listened to with prominent snare drums were downright painful for me at the volume I felt I needed to play these at to cut down on the ambient noise of the cafeteria. This is mostly due to my inherent sensitivity to spikes in the upper midrange and treble (I'd call it sibilance but that doesn't really apply here), particularly those caused by the crack of snare drums.

The HD228s isolate a good deal better so I don't have to raise the volume as much but I think their more laid back sound signature is better for me in instances such as these which sucks because I really like these on the whole, perhaps better than the 228s.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 70

Quote:
"On the whole the HT-21 is an aggressive headphone"

Wow, you weren't kidding. I'm auditioning a pair of HT-21s for an upcoming review and decided to take them with me to school to listen to music with on my lengthy break between classes, replacing my HD228s, at least for the day and the two songs I listened to with prominent snare drums were downright painful for me at the volume I felt I needed to play these at to cut down on the ambient noise of the cafeteria. This is mostly due to my inherent sensitivity to spikes in the upper midrange and treble (I'd call it sibilance but that doesn't really apply here), particularly those caused by the crack of snare drums.

The HD228s isolate a good deal better so I don't have to raise the volume as much but I think their more laid back sound signature is better for me in instances such as these which sucks because I really like these on the whole, perhaps better than the 228s.

I never kid. I agree, the HT-21 and HD228 are pretty opposite in sound signature (though perhaps less so than HT-21 and HD238). I like the HD228 a lot myself but I'm the first to admit that they leave a lot to be desired. Not bad at all, just not a very crisp sound compared to the HT-21, which I guess is not atypical for Sennheiser. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #26 of 70
Can anyone compare these to the HD202s? I've had those a while, but they hurt my ears after about an hour. I've always liked the sound and noise isolation though. A review on Newegg said "Destroys lower-end competitors like the Sennheiser HD202, and even the HD428."

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 70

Quote:
Just ordered a pair for $14.99 shipped at Newegg, on sale till 7/18.

Seems to be out of stock already.

Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the HD202s? I've had those a while, but they hurt my ears after about an hour. I've always liked the sound and noise isolation though. A review on Newegg said "Destroys lower-end competitors like the Sennheiser HD202, and even the HD428."

I haven't heard the HD202 in a very long time but I never was particularly thrilled with the fit or sound of those. The HD428 is a good headphone but not really an HT-21 competitor. It sounds better than the HT-21 but it's big and bulky, doesn't fold, and is made from cheap-feeling materials in typical entry-level-Sennheiser fashion. There really aren't a lot of good closed supraaurals to compare the HT-21 to in the <$40 bracket.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #29 of 70
How does the HT-21 compare with the MEE M6's?  I'm looking into getting something with more isolation, and am trying to decide between those two.  I currently have the koss portapros and like the sound, but I would like if the mids and highs were a little clearer, or more forward because the bass does muffle them sometime on some tracks.  Would quarter modding them solve that problem?  For background, I've also used the Sennheiser cx300 and v moda bass freqs. I liked them at first, but now they seem a little muddy as well.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #30 of 70

Quote:
How does the HT-21 compare with the MEE M6's?  I'm looking into getting something with more isolation, and am trying to decide between those two.  I currently have the koss portapros and like the sound, but I would like if the mids and highs were a little clearer, or more forward because the bass does muffle them sometime on some tracks.  Would quarter modding them solve that problem?  For background, I've also used the Sennheiser cx300 and v moda bass freqs. I liked them at first, but now they seem a little muddy as well.

HT-21 is clearer than the PortaPros and is more of the sound signature you are looking for (powerful mids, no bass bloat) but in isolation there's just no contest between them and the M6. The M6 is a fully sealed IEM and with well-fitting tips will isolate a good amount more. A compromise might be the CX21 model from the clarity series which has more of an HT-21 sound in an in-ear package, or better yet a CC51.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back