Review: MEElectronics HT-21 – Loud & Clear!
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #31 of 70

Quote:

HT-21 is clearer than the PortaPros and is more of the sound signature you are looking for (powerful mids, no bass bloat) but in isolation there's just no contest between them and the M6. The M6 is a fully sealed IEM and with well-fitting tips will isolate a good amount more. A compromise might be the CX21 model from the clarity series which has more of an HT-21 sound in an in-ear package, or better yet a CC51.

Am I right in saying that the M6 will probably give a closer sound to the PortaPros in that it has strong bass and recessed mids? How is the bass on the CX21? I was listening to a friends sony mdrzx100 headphones, and the mids and highs were very good, but the bass seemed a bit lacking, as if some notes were missing.  Will the CX21 have this problem as well?  

One more question, will the CX21 give better detail and separation of the music but less soundstage imaging than the M6?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #32 of 70

Quote:

Am I right in saying that the M6 will probably give a closer sound to the PortaPros in that it has strong bass and recessed mids? How is the bass on the CX21? I was listening to a friends sony mdrzx100 headphones, and the mids and highs were very good, but the bass seemed a bit lacking, as if some notes were missing.  Will the CX21 have this problem as well?  

One more question, will the CX21 give better detail and separation of the music but less soundstage imaging than the M6?

Thanks!

In a way but the M6 has a lot more lower treble than a PortaPro so it doesn't really sound warm the way the portapro does. PortaPro is still better overall. 

CX21 bass is pretty accurate, not boomy or rumbly. I don't think it misses anything but if you like big bass they probably aren't for you. 

Yes on the CX21 vs M6 assessment.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 70

Quote:
In a way but the M6 has a lot more lower treble than a PortaPro so it doesn't really sound warm the way the portapro does. PortaPro is still better overall. 

CX21 bass is pretty accurate, not boomy or rumbly. I don't think it misses anything but if you like big bass they probably aren't for you. 

Yes on the CX21 vs M6 assessment.

I can get the CW31's for $5 more than the CX21 at $30. In your IEM review, you mentioned that they were slightly more natural (more warmth?) while still maintaining clarity.  Would that be the better buy for me?  Or would it be better long term for me to just spend the $50 for the CC51 or A151's?

Thanks for the feedback!

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #34 of 70

Quote:

I can get the CW31's for $5 more than the CX21 at $30. In your IEM review, you mentioned that they were slightly more natural (more warmth?) while still maintaining clarity.  Would that be the better buy for me?  Or would it be better long term for me to just spend the $50 for the CC51 or A151's?

Thanks for the feedback! 

The CW31 doesn't have that much more bass than the CX21 or A151 and it doesn't isolate as much as those two. I don't think it's what you're looking for. CC51 has more bass but again has a more v-shaped sound with more prominent bass/treble and less prominent mids. In contrast to the PortaPro, the CC51's bass doesn't bleed up or cloud the midrange, though. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
I think I'll get the CX21's. Does having an inline microphone (CX-21P) affect the sound quality?

Durability, maybe. Sound quality, no.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 70
I've been busy with exams so couldn't really post my impressions till now. Just got the CX21's a few days ago.

The clarity is very nice and I'm hearing quite a lot of detail that I hadn't heard before. It makes re-listening to some songs a whole new experience. It is a bit analytical/cold on some songs, though.  That may just be me being too used to the warmth of the koss portapros, however.

The soundstage does feel quite average as you mentioned in your review, joker. Especially compared to the portapros.

A couple questions, does the sound improve much more with burn in?  And are there any eartips that would work better than the stock tips?
The best ones that fit me are the stock single-flange mediums, but I can't tell if I get the seal right sometimes.  The V-moda bass freq medium eartips fit my ears great, and I was wondering if I should use other eartips for these CX21's.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #38 of 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICSX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A couple questions, does the sound improve much more with burn in?  And are there any eartips that would work better than the stock tips?
The best ones that fit me are the stock single-flange mediums, but I can't tell if I get the seal right sometimes.  The V-moda bass freq medium eartips fit my ears great, and I was wondering if I should use other eartips for these CX21's.

If the V-Moda tips fit, why not try those? Most of the 4.5 - 5.5mm size tips will fit fine - Sony Hybrids, MEElec M11+ tips, Monster, UE, Sennheiser, etc.

As for burn-in changes, I wouldn't know. I don't usually listen to earphones, especially entry-level ones, straight out of the box.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #39 of 70
Heads up, the MEElectronics HT-21-BK are back on sale for $15 at Newegg.com (with free shipping).  Black Friday Promo Code is: EMCJJHE94

Just got myself a pair.  Figured these would be good for when I am in a totally different mood of my PortaPros.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #40 of 70
So between these, the AKG K430, and Audio Technica ATH-FC700A's (or another unmentioned portable set), which is the best overall sound quality and isolation? I'm hearing some of you say these are pretty harsh/aggressive which makes me think they're not for me.

I'm relatively new to the "high end" headphone arena. I just bought my first set of "good" headphone, Audio Technica ATH-A900's along with a FiiO E7 amp/DAC. Personally, I couldn't be more pleased with them. Very comfortable, the sound suites me right out of the box, and they sound great for the variety of music I listen to and games I play. I haven't even bothered to equalize them at all. I tried a pair of Sony 7506's before my purchase and I couldn't stand them without equalizing them a lot to boost the bass and tone down the upper range, I found them very harsh/bright.

I'm looking into a portable set for when I travel for work, which isn't too often, but I'd still like something better and more comfortable than laptop speakers or Skull Candy earbuds
etysmile.gif
. I was considering getting a set of ATH-M50's since they're a little more portable than the ATH-A900's I have, but compared to these other sets they're A) A lot more expensive B) IMO, would require a portable amp (I tried the A900's unamped on my iPod and Sansa E200 w/ Rockbox and I'd rather use my earbuds vs. these unamped) C) Probably overkill for 1-2 weeks of traveling at a time.

I'm sure I'll end up getting a pair of ATH-M50's eventually since I'm curious how they sound vs. the A900's, and they'd be a good set of headphone for my 2nd computer, but I'll be holding off on them for a while.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #41 of 70
Spom,  I would say that YES these headphones are VERY harsh/bright.  I have to mess with the EQ when I use them to tone down the highs.  Also, they are not that comfortable IMO.  As for Isolation, there is little to none.  They are very small headphones and go on the ears, not over them.

I just use them as a portable pair that I keep in my backpack (man bag).  So if they get squished or broken, I could care less.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #43 of 70

Quote:
In terms of soundstage and sound quality which pair of headphones are better? the meelectronics ht-21 or the meelectronics cx-21? i'm looking forward to picking up a pair!

It's not exactly fair to compare a headphone to an IEM as the presentations are usually so different. You will certainly get more space with the HT-21, though.

May 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #44 of 70
Sorry for digging up a fairly old thread, I'm not sure what the protocol is here.

Anyway, I just got a pair of MEElectronics HT21s and they've really surprised me. I've spent a fair amount of time using only my Sennheiser CX500s and after being so used to the heavy bass, it feels like there's not enough when listening to the HT21s. The upper midrange/lower treble also sometimes sounds a bit piercing and uncomfortable, as has been mentioned in this thread. Is this something that will improve once they're burned in, or should I consider returning them?

May 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:
Sorry for digging up a fairly old thread, I'm not sure what the protocol is here.

Anyway, I just got a pair of MEElectronics HT21s and they've really surprised me. I've spent a fair amount of time using only my Sennheiser CX500s and after being so used to the heavy bass, it feels like there's not enough when listening to the HT21s. The upper midrange/lower treble also sometimes sounds a bit piercing and uncomfortable, as has been mentioned in this thread. Is this something that will improve once they're burned in, or should I consider returning them?

Sennheiser IEMs typically have enhanced bass and smooth mids/highs. It seems like the HT-21 just wasn't the right sound signature although if you give yourself some time you may get used to them and even learn to appreciate their strengths. Otherwise something like the Koss Portapro or Sennheiser PX100-II is likely a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back