Review & Loan Program: New Graham Slee Beta Novo Headphone Amp (discreet)
Nov 11, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #46 of 73
I received the Novo last week, and have listened to if on and off for 5 days.

The Novo is enjoyable to listen to. It’s nicely transparent, very detailed without being too bright, and had very controlled, deep bass. In general I felt the Novo represents may of the positive traits of solid state, without too many of downsides. It does lean just a little more to the bright, light side than I prefer personally, and so good headphone matching is important. The Novo sounded better with my Kenwood K1000 than it did with the Beyer DT990.

The soundstaging was excellent. Well defined, stable, and believable. Both width and depth were good, but not great, but excellent for the price of this amp.

The amp is basically neutral, again leaning just a hair to the light and lively side, but it's not too bright. It creates no unnatural sibilance. On good female vocals, like on Alison Krauss’s “Wouldn't Have Made Any Differenced”, vocals were reproduced well, with no extra sizzle.

I briefly compared the Novo to the Travagan's White, with the IMod as the source. The primary difference between them is that the White, as stock has a slightly warmer sound signature. The Novo has the slightly more forward, and I believe slightly more extended, treble. But if you have warm-sounding headphones, or just prefer a slightly crisper overall sound, the Novo might be your preference. In any case, the Travagans White was not embarrassed by the comparison with the Novo - they are not all that far apart, but currently they are pretty close in price as well, and I do think the Novo gets the edge.

Now the hard part- I think the $400 Head-Direct EF1 is a better sounding amp. It is simultaneously both more detailed and smoother, with less edge and a more relaxed, musical sound. I know that Miguel feels the Novo is the better of the two, but while I respect Miguel's opinion, I already know that he and I do not always hear things the same way
smily_headphones1.gif

The fact remains, however, that I think the Novo is an excellent sounding, very competitively priced amp that people will enjoy immensely. It is better suited for people who value a lighter, brighter sound, but it will reward such people with excellent transparency, imaging, and powerful bass reproduction.

Big thanks to Miguel for the chance to listen to the Novo.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #47 of 73
Rob, if everyone agreed on everything it would be a very boring world to live in!
wink.gif

I am glad you had a change to listen to the Beta Novo and devoted your personal time to write the review, thanks. BTW. there is a new tweak that I will implement when the amp returns to me (mid to late December).

The tweak is to assist in removing some of the SMPS added "nastiness". The "nastiness" is not apparent in all locations and it is dependent on the quality of the power source. The tweak is supposed to be provide a bit better clarity/detail and clean the upper notes of any "edge". Plus w/ the tweak there is no need to use the ground (at least in most locations).

Lastly the Novo can be bought cheaper now. No, Graham has not lowered the price. But since the dollar has gotten stronger as compared to the British Pound the cost of the Novo is about $320 instead of the original cost of $400.
biggrin.gif

As far as the EF1 all I can say is that it is a beautiful sounding unit. One that will surprise its user and w/ the ability to roll 12AU7 should further allow the user to tweak the amp's sound to his/her specific situation. The new version of the EF1 has some improvements by allowing the user to roll op-amps. This would also allow further tweaking of the sound, HiFlight is in love of the EF1 w/ a pair of AD743. Wish my unit would allow the rolling of op-amps. Perhaps I should sell it to get the new unit.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #48 of 73
Hey, hey! I got a box yesterday. I thought, what the hell is this? I didn't order anything. . . . . . about ten minutes later, oh yeah, "The" review amp.

So I plugged it in last night and the red light lit up. I am still waiting for the batteries to charge. The light is still red. . . . . .

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #50 of 73
So do I modify the amp before or after listening to it?

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #52 of 73
Ok, but these damn batteries take forever to charge and I am having a hard time fitting some of my capacitors in the case..

So is this supposed to be a one post review? I am not used to doing that and my hands get really tired after a few lines. . . . . . just a minute. . . .

Ok, this amp does sound different from most everything else I own. It is breathy, like Monroe, you know, the blond. So far not as dimensional as my Woo but open and airy. It is a bit brighter but more like a dry hall vs a more humid climate. . . . . .

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #54 of 73
I've just purchased another Graham Slee Solo w/ PSU1 so I'll get to try out the Novo head to head with the Solo when it reaches my place =)

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just purchased another Graham Slee Solo w/ PSU1 so I'll get to try out the Novo head to head with the Solo when it reaches my place =)

You got "one heck of a buy" - a new Solo for half price!

You'll love it with Senns and other high impedance phones - it drives them as well as any amp can - beautiful rich, tube-like sound with lots of PRAT, detail and clarity.

But... it struggles to drive Grados and Denons and other low impedance phones as well as it drives Senns - rough lows and highs - not quite enough current output to drive them really well. That was the reason I returned mine to Music Direct.

The Novo will drive low impedance phones better, since it was especially designed to drive them - as Graham explained it to me.

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the Novo last week, and have listened to if on and off for 5 days.

The Novo is enjoyable to listen to. It’s nicely transparent, very detailed without being too bright, and had very controlled, deep bass. In general I felt the Novo represents may of the positive traits of solid state, without too many of downsides. It does lean just a little more to the bright, light side than I prefer personally, and so good headphone matching is important. The Novo sounded better with my Kenwood K1000 than it did with the Beyer DT990.

The soundstaging was excellent. Well defined, stable, and believable. Both width and depth were good, but not great, but excellent for the price of this amp.

The amp is basically neutral, again leaning just a hair to the light and lively side, but it's not too bright. It creates no unnatural sibilance. On good female vocals, like on Alison Krauss’s “Wouldn't Have Made Any Differenced”, vocals were reproduced well, with no extra sizzle.

I briefly compared the Novo to the Travagan's White, with the IMod as the source. The primary difference between them is that the White, as stock has a slightly warmer sound signature. The Novo has the slightly more forward, and I believe slightly more extended, treble. But if you have warm-sounding headphones, or just prefer a slightly crisper overall sound, the Novo might be your preference. In any case, the Travagans White was not embarrassed by the comparison with the Novo - they are not all that far apart, but currently they are pretty close in price as well, and I do think the Novo gets the edge.

Now the hard part- I think the $400 Head-Direct EF1 is a better sounding amp. It is simultaneously both more detailed and smoother, with less edge and a more relaxed, musical sound. I know that Miguel feels the Novo is the better of the two, but while I respect Miguel's opinion, I already know that he and I do not always hear things the same way
smily_headphones1.gif

The fact remains, however, that I think the Novo is an excellent sounding, very competitively priced amp that people will enjoy immensely. It is better suited for people who value a lighter, brighter sound, but it will reward such people with excellent transparency, imaging, and powerful bass reproduction.

Big thanks to Miguel for the chance to listen to the Novo.

Superb review Skylab! I agree with all points made - taking into account
Miguel's comments on the price.

Does this in any way sway you towards the world of solid state?

I've taken a back seat here for a while and thank God the fever has
subsided...Currently listening through the Rudistor NX-02 head amp with
the Edition 9's. I can't imagine a better combination but I still check head-fi
more out of habit than necessity
wink.gif

Once again...superb review. I had an early Beta Novo here for a couple of weeks and it really is a marvel. Expecting a second sitting soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab..any plans for reviewing Rudistor amps?

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Superb review Skylab! I agree with all points made - taking into account
Miguel's comments on the price.

Does this in any way sway you towards the world of solid state?

I've taken a back seat here for a while and thank God the fever has
subsided...Currently listening through the Rudistor NX-02 head amp with
the Edition 9's. I can't imagine a better combination but I still check head-fi
more out of habit than necessity
wink.gif

Once again...superb review. I had an early Beta Novo here for a couple of weeks and it really is a marvel. Expecting a second sitting soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab..any plans for reviewing Rudistor amps?

Thanks for the kind words. I'd be happy to review a Rudistor if someone wanted to send me one to review
smily_headphones1.gif

But as for this amp "swaying me toward solid state" - not even close. I have owned far better solid state amps before - the Meier Opera and the Blue Circle SBH to name 2 - but I prefer tube amps
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words. I'd be happy to review a Rudistor if someone wanted to send me one to review
smily_headphones1.gif

But as for this amp "swaying me toward solid state" - not even close. I have owned far better solid state amps before - the Meier Opera and the Blue Circle SBH to name 2 - but I prefer tube amps
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

I'm still hesitant about dipping my toes in the world of tubes.
Partly because of the potential issues dealing with the likely source
(Little Dot, Dark Voice), partly because of the maintenance and mainly
because I love the fast, detailed sound with superb bass I get with
the NX-02 and Edition 9's.

The likely contenders would be the Woo Audio 6, the DarkVoice 337
or one of the Little Dot range.

One day......but, right now I'm very happy
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am trying to reach you (4 PMs sent since 12/17) w/ no response from you. I need you to ship the Novo back no later than Friday, 12/26/08 via US Postal Service w/ $400 worth of insurance. Send me the insurance number and the delivery confirmation number provided by the US Postal Service via PM.

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #60 of 73
Miguel did you get your review loaner back yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back