Review & Loan Program: New Graham Slee Beta Novo Headphone Amp (discreet)
Oct 24, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think the amp needs to be left on for a few days before evaluation. It really does take a while for everything to settle and stabilize.

There is no power switch so the amp is on all the time. I just gave some initial impressions. The amp has been on lots of hours already as I am the third tester.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the first impressions. I find the Grado 325i version of the MS2i can be fatiguing with some amps vs others, and look forward to your thoughts with the Senns. I found the Novo to be less fatiguing than my Apogee Mini-Dac headphone out, but my WA6 and Single Power was even better in that regard. (and yes, Millett Starving Student is an excellent sound and a steal for under $100)

The MS2s with my pad mod is both less sibilant and less fatiguing than the Senn 580s with poor to mediocre recordings. I keep telling you guys to give the pad mod a try.
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS2s with my pad mod is both less sibilant and less fatiguing than the Senn 580s with poor to mediocre recordings. I keep telling you guys to give the pad mod a try.
tongue.gif

So... these are the Senn HD414 pads with the centers cut out like the Grado pads?

Have you tried the "tape mod" on the stock bowl pads? That seemed to remove any Grado stridency for me, along with just burn-in, and a good match with the amp. Plus it helped to retain / improve the soundstage.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... these are the Senn HD414 pads with the centers cut out like the Grado pads?

Have you tried the "tape mod" on the stock bowl pads? That seemed to remove any Grado stridency for me, along with just burn-in, and a good match with the amp. Plus it helped to retain / improve the soundstage.

Not exactly .... more material is removed so the face of the driver AND the surrounding housing are completely exposed. The driver sits even closer to your ear and this makes the treble less strident, seemingly more linear and all excess sibilance disappears.

I have tried all the Grados mods and this is by far my favorite. I have never liked bowl pads no matter what mod you do to them. I used the TTVJ flat pads until I happened upon this mod.

IMG_0163-1.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Back to the Novo .... I tried a different grounding scheme using my racks metal post and hooked the Novo up to my Feirce Freak built Buffalo dac. The Buffalo is a little less dynamic and more relaxed than my zap filter sources .... and as I expected removed some edge from the Novo. The Novo combo was better but the amp is still not doing it for me. I am going to add a richer sounding copper IC tomorrow and see what that does .... along with the amp running 24/7. Incidentally, the Millet Starving Student sounds awesome with the Buffalo
beerchug.gif
so the Novo is now even further behind in that comparison.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mike after reading some of your posts and that you favor the Rudi amp we just have different tastes. I have yet to hear a Rudi amp that rocked my world not to say they are bad just none that I have tried have done it for me.

Also not that it matters but like I said earlier I tend to have high expectations of gear having heard some of the best even at the $400 range I expect certain things that this amp did not produce. I would recommend that potential purchasers try to hear the amp prior to purchase to ensure it suits your tastes.

Hi JP

Yep, I do love my Rudistor NX-02. It pairs very well with my Edition 9's.
That's a different thread though
wink_face.gif

I'm sure Graham will take your comments on board. On this side of the pond
it's difficult to audition the best out there but I've managed to spend alot
of time with head amps from Ray Samuels, Jan Meier, Triad Audio (Lisa III XP),
Rudistor and Graham Slee.

With my very limited experience, I still believe the Novo offers amazing value
wink.gif

At the time of writing the cost of the Novo in the USA is more like $320 due to the
atrocious value of the pound!

I've been called a shill in the recent past (In this thread I think - screw 'em...anyway...) and
was not too pleased. All I can say is try the Novo if you can and make your own mind up.

Horses for courses.

Cheers JP
wink_face.gif

Mike

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 73
Due to mrarroyo's generosity, I had the opportunity to listen to the Novo for about a week. I compared it to other amps in its price range like the CI VHP 2 and the Octavart (which is actually considerably less). Generally, it was similar in SQ to these amps, although the VHP 2 was a bit richer sounding overall, and the Octavart had slightly better detail on the extreme highs. Nevertheless, the amp is a fine sounding amp, good bass punch, energy and clear highs. My only complaint about the sound is that it has a kind of bright tonality across the board. Individual elements sound fine, but its overall signature is a bit bright. Some might not mind this and even consider it a virtue, I found that it irritated me after a time. I used K 701s with an RAL cable, and Senn 600s also with an RAL cable.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #38 of 73
I spent all week trying different ICs, sources and different power conditioning. I finally got rid of most of that bright, irritating character that bothered me. I found a good copper IC that warmed the tonality and the Sacdmods 555ES with its more forgiving treble balance was clearly the best source match. But, the big change occured when I isolated the Novos switching power supply from the rest of the signal path components.

Once isolated, the amp was much less bright, not so etched sounding and the fatigue factor was no longer a problem. There is still some slight etch and the treble remains a little to analytical for my tastes .... which is now my only real issue with the amp. However, I am very treble sensitive so this may not be an issue for many of you. Once I could listen longer, the amp has a very nice bass register, a clean and clear midrange that was thinner than the amps I am used to .... but not to thin. The sound character exhibited good openess and an airy, transparent quality.

The amp at its best, as I said, is now only slightly brightish and tipped up but this is probably responsible for the amps excellent resolution and treble extension. However, as an example, I was listening to U2 last night and the vocals had just a tad to much breathiness and articulation to seem completely natural. The amp holds on to Ss to long, in particular. If this flaw did not exist I would rate this amp very highly. Again, I am very sensitive to treble anomolies, so factor this in when you consider my opinion.

The coherency of the amp is quite good and the slightly bright character does not prevent the amps frequency response from coming together as a whole. This is very important to me as I hate for one part of the frequency spectrum to overpower the other parts. Dynamics are atleast good and on some music dynamics seemed very good. One special character of the amp I especially liked was the bass had speed, taughtness AND a good amount of power to the drum hits.

I really did not like this amp at all in the beginning but my view has changed. I didnt get the amp sounding to my liking at all until Friday when I finally thought to isolate the switching power supply. By Sunday with a few more tweeks the amp was sounding real good on most music. I did not compare the amps to my pure tube amps because I already know I much prefer even inexpensive tube amps to most SS. The Millets and Mini3 I used for comparison I definitely like. My final determination is .... I like the Novo better than the Mini3 and almost equal to the Millet SS hybrids. The Millets, however, do have just a touch of tubiness that makes them more musical to my ears.

Overall, I would say the Beta Novo is a good amp to consider in the < $500 price range. I like the Novo as well as the Gilmore Lite and EC-SS, definitely better than the RSA portables I have auditioned (Hornet/ old SR-71) .... and even the HR-2 which I have never cared for. The amp is on par with my Millet hybrids that I greatly enjoy and listen to frequently, despite having several uber tube amps. I would like to see what the amp could do with a good non-switching power supply.

I need to send the amp out today or tomorrow or it would be interesting to see if my impressions hold long term. I will say, if you havent sampled any expensive tube or SS amps and are used to the typical $300-450 portables many use .... I bet you would be VERY impressed with the Novo. The Novo is a definite step up over any portable I have owned or auditioned and costs about the same as many of them.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Overall, I would say the Beta Novo is a good amp to consider in the < $500 price range. I like the Novo as well as the Gilmore Lite and EC-SS, definitely better than the RSA portables I have auditioned (Hornet/ old SR-71) .... and even the HR-2 which I have never cared for. The amp is on par with my Millet hybrids that I greatly enjoy and listen to frequently, despite having several uber tube amps. I would like to see what the amp could do with a good non-switching power supply.

I need to send the amp out today or tomorrow or it would be interesting to see if my impressions hold long term. I will say, if you havent sampled any expensive tube or SS amps and are used to the typical $300-450 portables many use .... I bet you would be VERY impressed with the Novo. The Novo is a definite step up over any portable I have owned or auditioned and costs about the same as many of them.

I almost wish I had loaned out my Sigma 11 to travel around with the amp, but I really need it here at home. My ears are not as sensitive as yours, but the Sigma 11 did help the NOVO sound better to me. It might have made an even bigger difference for you. Sorry.

PS: did you try it with the Senn, or just the Grado/Alessandro MS2?

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #40 of 73
I believe Skylab gets the amp from sacd lover. Thanks for the time to write your review.

The SMPS is a compromise to the "green" regulations in GB. I have been told that it saves about 80% of the electricity when the amp is plugged but not being used. Using the SMPS also requires the use of a ground to eliminate the slight vibration and tingle it causes.

On a side note to Jamato8 and GradoFan2 there is an issue w/ the amp you were going to receive. It is on its way back from blessingx, if it is something I can take care off I wil contact you two and ship the amp back. Sorry for the problem.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 73
The Beta Novo that Ric (blessingx) had arrived today. It is plugged and appears to be working fine.

Will let it play for the next 2-3 days to make sure it is ok and out it goes on Monday. Jamato8 please pm me your mailing address.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... My only complaint about the sound is that it has a kind of bright tonality across the board. ...

Quote:

... I finally got rid of most of that bright, irritating character that bothered me. ...Once isolated, the amp was much less bright, not so etched sounding and the fatigue factor was no longer a problem. There is still some slight etch and the treble remains a little to analytical for my tastes .... .

I am glad you both had an opportunity to listen to the amp. I see that you both find it to have to much energy on the treble. While I respect your respective opinions I disagree and find the Beta Novo to be quite mellow yet revealing unit. As I said before, not everyone likes chocolate.

I will re-iterate the need to use the ground pole on the back of the Beta Novo when using the SMPS (switching wall wart). Thanks for the time you both spent with the units.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad you both had an opportunity to listen to the amp. I see that you both find it to have to much energy on the treble. While I respect your respective opinions I disagree and find the Beta Novo to be quite mellow yet revealing unit. As I said before, not everyone likes chocolate.

I will re-iterate the need to use the ground pole on the back of the Beta Novo when using the SMPS (switching wall wart). Thanks for the time you both spent with the units.

I never thought it was too bright either, not even with RS-1 or Edition 9.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy_uk77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so novo beter then Travagans white?

Yes, that was my feeling, although a Travagans White or Red with OPA627 in it will come close and sound very nice (and all of them improve with the 24v sigma 11 or Travagans Black in the power supply). You wont know you are missing anything with the Travagans unless you do a direct comparison between White and NOVO or Red and NOVO, then some subtle improvements in refinement and transparency reveal themselves. There was just a sense of effortlessness that I got from the NOVO that made me feel like I would never run out of power.

With the stock Travagans opamps the transparency was great but I did feel the frequency response was slightly down on the bottom end and slightly up on the top end, due to the LM4562 opamp. The OPA627 was a nice improvement. In the Red I felt the discontinued AD743 opamps were even better than 627, but they wont fit in the White (which needs two OPA627AU soldered onto a small 2:1 adapter, since a DIP 2:1 wont fit). I would have no complaints about having only the White with OPA627, with the added benefit being the internal DAC, which is pretty decent and as detailed as the one in the Predator and 2MOVE or Nuforce Icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back