Review & Loan Program: New Graham Slee Beta Novo Headphone Amp (discreet)
Oct 20, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 73
Technically a $300 dark voice with $120 worth of tubes
wink.gif

I can't believe I have over $600 in tubes for it, but I only counted the ones in it.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict compared the Beta Novo w/ a $420 Darkvoice Amp. Vorlon1 compared the Beta Novo w/ a Head Direct EF-1 and a Channel Island headphone amp both of which are in the same price range (waiting on vorlon1's write-up).

The channel islands comparison would be interesting too. I am interested in the gilmore lite comparison for selfish reasons. I have the glite/dps myself
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #18 of 73
Ok I had the amp for a bit in my home as part of this program.
First things first Miguel thanks for setting this up as it provides potential buyers with multiple perspectives prior to blind purchase.

I used the amp with my heavily modded sonic frontiers trans dac and my Audio Technica AD2000s. Music used ranged from Mile Davis Kind of Blue, AC/DC Back in Black, Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Blvd and Eagles Hotel California (DCC).
My point of reference for entry level solid state amps are the Eddie Current EC/SS, RSA SR71, Heed Can amp, the dynahi (much more expensive and my current amp the headphone output of the Berendsen IPA-80 integrated amp. My sonic priorities tend to focus on tone, separation, attack, dynamics and PRaT.
The GSS Beta Novo was not my favorite in the bunch of amps as it sounded congested to my ear with a narrow soundstage. Compared to my current amp , the Berendsen (unfair comparo) it was no contest as the Beta Novo consistently showed it's lesser design and power supply with the aforementioned shortcomings. Now at $400 you can not expect to get a world class amp but there is steep competition with the ECSS, Heed, SR-71a, Gilmore light, dynalo... Stacked up against these the Beta does better but still it would not be my first choice. The ECSS has better tone and PRat, the SR71(a) has better soundstage and the Heed has better PRaT and dynamics. The one amp I owned that I thought this amp clearly beat was the NuForce Icon amp as that amp essentially has a warmer and slower character than the Beta Novo does.
This amp may really appeal to those that do not like solid state design and are looking for a warmer amp that comes with some sonic sacrifices.
On the plus side is there is potential for the amp to improve with a better PS. The amp also has a very small form factor and would be at home in on a work place desk.
In the end at this price point designing a discrete amp that also has the added challenge of pound to dollar exchange rate is a challenge. In this price range you are almost better off with a good opamp design as discrete for discrete sake may not be the way to go at this end of the market.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I had the amp for a bit in my home as part of this program.
First things first Miguel thanks for setting this up as it provides potential buyers with multiple perspectives prior to blind purchase.

I used the amp with my heavily modded sonic frontiers trans dac and my Audio Technica AD2000s. Music used ranged from Mile Davis Kind of Blue, AC/DC Back in Black, Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Blvd and Eagles Hotel California (DCC).
My point of reference for entry level solid state amps are the Eddie Current EC/SS, RSA SR71, Heed Can amp, the dynahi (much more expensive and my current amp the headphone output of the Berendsen IPA-80 integrated amp. My sonic priorities tend to focus on tone, separation, attack, dynamics and PRaT.
The GSS Beta Novo was not my favorite in the bunch of amps as it sounded congested to my ear with a narrow soundstage. Compared to my current amp , the Berendsen (unfair comparo) it was no contest as the Beta Novo consistently showed it's lesser design and power supply with the aforementioned shortcomings. Now at $400 you can not expect to get a world class amp but there is steep competition with the ECSS, Heed, SR-71a, Gilmore light, dynalo... Stacked up against these the Beta does better but still it would not be my first choice. The ECSS has better tone and PRat, the SR71(a) has better soundstage and the Heed has better PRaT and dynamics. The one amp I owned that I thought this amp clearly beat was the NuForce Icon amp as that amp essentially has a warmer and slower character than the Beta Novo does.
This amp may really appeal to those that do not like solid state design and are looking for a warmer amp that comes with some sonic sacrifices.
On the plus side is there is potential for the amp to improve with a better PS. The amp also has a very small form factor and would be at home in on a work place desk.
In the end at this price point designing a discrete amp that also has the added challenge of pound to dollar exchange rate is a challenge. In this price range you are almost better off with a good opamp design as discrete for discrete sake may not be the way to go at this end of the market.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I thought this was a very nice amp - even though I said it was not up to the level of my Woo WA6 or Single Power Square Wave XL, I thought it was well worth the asking price of $400. Plus the dynamics and S/N improved with the Sigma 11 PSU which I used for several days with it.

We both agree that it soundly beat the NuForce Icon, but I also found it beat several $200-250 SS opamp designs. It was a closer battle with the Dark Voice 336i and internal HP out of the Apogee Mini-DAC (which is usually said to be on the level of the Gilmore Lite). What I liked most was that in my system it was very detailed with a nice natural sound signature and good transparency. I did mention that the soundstage was not as big as my nicer amps, but I found it was wide but not deep.

The ONLY way I could make the NOVO sound congested was using some cheap BJC interconnects to my iMod Vcap dock or BJC right out of the CD5001 that I use for transport; but with a fantastic ALO SXC mini-RCA out of my Apogee mini-DAC into the NOVO, the sound was crisp and defined, with great detail and space and no congestion. I don't know how to explain the differences we hear, but now I'm wondering if I can trust my ears anymore (except that I know that I hear things almost the same as Blutarsky and Sherwood when we get together to listen to gear).

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@jp11801

How many hours did the beta novo have on it when you auditioned?

I shipped it to him on the 6th with 490 hours on it.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I didn't see that coming. I thought this was a very nice amp - even though I said it was not up to the level of my Woo WA6 or Single Power Square Wave XL, I thought it was well worth the asking price of $400. Plus the dynamics and S/N improved with the Sigma 11 PSU which I used for several days with it.

We both agree that it soundly beat the NuForce Icon, but I also found it beat several $200-250 SS opamp designs. It was a closer battle with the Dark Voice 336i and internal HP out of the Apogee Mini-DAC (which is usually said to be on the level of the Gilmore Lite). What I liked most was that in my system it was very detailed with a nice natural sound signature and good transparency. I did mention that the soundstage was not as big as my nicer amps, but I found it was wide but not deep.

The ONLY way I could make the NOVO sound congested was using some cheap BJC interconnects to my iMod Vcap dock or BJC right out of the CD5001 that I use for transport; but with a fantastic ALO SXC mini-RCA out of my Apogee mini-DAC into the NOVO, the sound was crisp and defined, with great detail and space and no congestion. I don't know how to explain the differences we hear, but now I'm wondering if I can trust my ears anymore (except that I know that I hear things almost the same as Blutarsky and Sherwood when we get together to listen to gear).

In the end we have different viewpoints but that's ok, I admit to be pretty hard on gear but I stand by amps like the SR71 and ECSS being better sounding amps top to bottom and both are in very similar price ranges.
The odd thing is this amp has a totally different signature than the GSS phono pre that was fast detailed nice soundstage just a tad bright. It is perplexing to me that the same designer can turn out two products that sound so dissimilar.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 73
John, did you use the ground cable? The switching PSU does have issues and thus the reason Graham added the grounding post in the back.

Yes, we all hear different and that is fine. I do not think of the Beta Novo as congested and IMO it is much better than the SR71A.

I said it before, different gear and different ears/expectations.

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 73
I have to agree with HeadphoneAddict and Miguel.

Not once during the couple of weeks I spent with it did I hear anything
approaching congestion and it was very close overall to the Graham Slee
Solo (with PSU1) I owned at the timeof the loan. Most people who have been able to A/B the Novo and Solo together seem to agree that differences are
slight. My main comparison was done using the Novo with stock PSU against
the Solo with PSU1.

I thought the Novo a slightly narrower sound stage than the Solo, a tad
less bass/punch and was a little brighter.

I'm actually in the UK queue again so it will be interesting to see how the
Novo sounds fully burned in - I don't think it was by the time it left me.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Cheers
Mike

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, did you use the ground cable? The switching PSU does have issues and thus the reason Graham added the grounding post in the back.

Yes, we all hear different and that is fine. I do not think of the Beta Novo as congested and IMO it is much better than the SR71A.

I said it before, different gear and different ears/expectations.

Yes I used it with the ground wire and over multiple separate sessions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with HeadphoneAddict and Miguel.

Not once during the couple of weeks I spent with it did I hear anything
approaching congestion and it was very close overall to the Graham Slee
Solo (with PSU1)

Mike after reading some of your posts and that you favor the Rudi amp we just have different tastes. I have yet to hear a Rudi amp that rocked my world not to say they are bad just none that I have tried have done it for me.

Also not that it matters but like I said earlier I tend to have high expectations of gear having heard some of the best even at the $400 range I expect certain things that this amp did not produce. I would recommend that potential purchasers try to hear the amp prior to purchase to ensure it suits your tastes.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 73
The amp was here when I came home from work yesterday. Fortunately, I arrived at the same time as the postman to sign for the amp. I plan to hook up the amp today. Being the weekend is almost here, I should get in a good amount of listening time.

I guess it will be interesting to see what I think .... I also prefer tubes, although I have had a number of SS Gilmore amps, among others, in the past. Right now all I have for SS is a portable Mini3 and two hybrid tube/ SS Millet Starving Student amps that I am very fond of. I mainly use Alessandros but I have some Senn 595-120 ohm and Senn 600s to try out with the amp as well.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 73
Ok .... I have been listening to the amp on and off since around 10:00 am this morning. I am using a Sacdmods 555es > Enigma Audio Oenomel IC > Beta Novo > Alessandro MS2i with the Earl pad mod (19545 pads cut so the driver and housing are completely exposed) .... this pad mod reduces sibilance and brightness vs all the other Grado pad types I have used.

Uh oh controversy JP.
biggrin.gif
The last description of this amp I would give is congested.

From the very first listen the Novo is very clean and clear sounding IMO. The amp is fast too. But, transient leading edges do seem a little to emphasized sometimes .... and that excess adds some etch to consonants. The soundstaging is a little strange. With my Alessandro MS2, if vocals are present, the amp gives a solid center image with good depth. Play instrumentals and the sound seems to come mostly hard right or hard left with not much middle.
confused_face(1).gif

The Novo generally sounded good out of the box with good dynamics, a nice tight bass, good instrument seperation and good extension at the frequency extremes . But, the amp does fatigue me some after 20-30 minutes. I kept turning the volume down but volume didnt appear to be the issue. Maybe the power supply is adding some artifacts? I dont hear anything amiss I can describe as the sound is good .... but my ears dont like something. I used the ground post the next listening session and that made no difference .

I dont have any SS amps besides the most excellent $125 Mini3 portable. The big difference, while I dont hear any major noticeable differences with the Mini3s vs Novos actual sound .... is I can listen to the Mini3 far, far longer without any ear fatigue. Right now, I have a $100 used Millet Starving Student hybrid hooked up with the same Source/ IC / Headphone for comparison .... so far I like the Millet much better. The Millet sounds more natural/ coherent, definitely less fatiguing, more dimensional and I dont get that etch I hear with the Novo. The Novo has tighter bass than the Millet but the Millet is weightier and avoids that ultra clean sound that wears on me with most SS.

This is only the first day and at various points I will be trying Senns, a Buffalo dac, maybe my Opus /zap dac and a different Enigma Audio copper IC that might help with the etch and/ or fatigue.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

...the amp gives a solid center image with good depth. Play instrumentals and the sound seems to come mostly hard right or hard left with not much middle...

Hi there, would you be willing to do an experiment? Leave the amp on for at least 24 hours before your next listening session and then let us know if it changes your perception of the Beta Novo.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 73
Thanks for the first impressions. I find the Grado 325i version of the MS2i can be fatiguing with some amps vs others, and look forward to your thoughts with the Senns. I found the Novo to be less fatiguing than my Apogee Mini-Dac headphone out, but my WA6 and Single Power was even better in that regard. (and yes, Millett Starving Student is an excellent sound and a steal for under $100)

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 73
I would think the amp needs to be left on for a few days before evaluation. It really does take a while for everything to settle and stabilize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back