REVIEW: Lawton Audio LA7000 (formerly "markl Mods") - modded Denon D7000
Aug 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #31 of 65
I have not heard the LA7000, but I do have LA modded 5000s and I am very pleased with their work. I would not hesitate for a second to bundle mine up for a for LA treatment...too bad I got married - the furniture penalty for audio purchases is steep.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but these are way too expensive. how does one justify this high modification price ? seems like a very good mark up.

aside from the parts and labor costs (the jenna labs wire is very pricey stuff, and aside from Mark's labors there's the guy who does the cable and the guy that does the wood cups) there's also the fact that Mark put a lot of time and effort into developing his mods, probably many hundreds of hours. he also shared much of this with the head-fi community, ie. he gave it away. when he became a MOT his development efforts continued and that became proprietary knowledge. look at the photos - this phone is a work of art and that does cost. the d7000s don't cost anywhere near $1000 to manufacture, but they need to charge a certain amount to cover their costs and stay in business.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #33 of 65
Now to review the DX 1000 and KeeS modded Pro 900 for a fraction of the cost
biggrin.gif
DX 1000 is kind of markl modded stock if you look at the design lol. Do the LA 7000 have the same club sound as the markl modded D5000 btw... Mentioned there is not that much difference between the D5000/D7000. Is the difference even smaller between the complete markl D5000 and the complete markl D7000?

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 65
very interesting, would love to hear the difference before sending in my D7K.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now to review the DX 1000 and KeeS modded Pro 900 for a fraction of the cost
biggrin.gif
DX 1000 is kind of markl modded stock if you look at the design lol. Do the LA 7000 have the same club sound as the markl modded D5000 btw... Mentioned there is not that much difference between the D5000/D7000. Is the difference even smaller between the complete markl D5000 and the complete markl D7000?

I said in my review that these LA7000 do not sound like the MD5000DE that I reviewed last year. These are much better to my ears, for reasons listed in my review. I would almost say that these LA7000 sound like a different headphone altogether.

I would love to hear a DX1000 and Kees Mod Pro 900 someday.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 65
By my understanding that i have seen posted, mark uses different damping material (proprietary) for the la7000 mod compared with what was used with the d5000/2000. That might make the difference in sound quality (not so cluby).

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #37 of 65
It's interesting, but only a few headphones have been getting any ear time the past month or so (when I'm not doing a review, but just for enjoyment). Those are the JH Audio JH13pro, HE Audio Jade electrostatic, and the LA7000.

My K1000 and HD800 are set up in the living room with a hot and heavy EC ZDT amp; but in the summer I tend to hang out in my cooler bedroom with the Woo WA6 and GES, where I have been enjoying these three phones. I occasionally break out the HD600 and HF-2 (like the HD600 more) but just for a change of pace (or for a Fidelity-Audio.com cable review I'm doing). The O2 and HE60 haven't seen the light of day for a while either, but they'll come out for CanJam @ RMAF in 3 weeks.

I like all my other phones but there just isn't time to listen to them all. Maybe soon I'll be changing things up a little when I get tired of these - but so far one IEM, one open phone and one closed phone have been good enough for at least a month. It's crazy to have $6000 tied up in 4 flagship headphones that I don't use daily (K1000, HD800, O2 Mk1, HE60), and I'm not saying the LA7000 are better than those - but while they don't sound the same they all seem to been on a very high performance level. And that's not even taking into consideration other great phones here like the APS v3 cabled RS-1 and ATH-ESW10JPN! No, I'm not doing a sell-off, as I do like to change things up a bit every once in a while, so don't PM me about it.
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the LA7000 are very musical, involving and enjoyable like my custom IEM; but all of the custom IEM are faster/more detailed, more transparent/open sounding, and isolate better. The LA7000 and custom IEM are all better than a stock or modded D2000/D5000.

I don't want to ruin my 3-way customs review, but I'll say a little something here. The UE11Pro sound signature is similar to an unmodded D7000 but with better speed, detail, openness and extended treble. The JH13Pro sound signature is more similar to the LA7000 in tonal balance, but also faster and more detailed and open, with better bass and mids than the LA7000. And the ES3X are more like an HD800 in tonal balance, detail and speed but seem a little smoother in the highs. These three IEM have a fantastic soundstage but they place the listener at different distances from the performance and have varying degrees of headstage vs soundstage - it's hard to compare those to a full size headphone where the HD800 has the best soundstage, followed by the R10 and then the LA7000.

From what I read here, am I correct to say that the JH13Pro is better than the LA7000 for you except in soundstage? The reason I ask is because both cost around the same with the LA7000 being slightly more expensive.

This JH13Pro must be quite a beastly IEM then.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read here, am I correct to say that the JH13Pro is better than the LA7000 for you except in soundstage? The reason I ask is because both cost around the same with the LA7000 being slightly more expensive.

This JH13Pro must be quite a beastly IEM then.

I though I was pretty clear - I read my quote and there is no mistaking that I said that.
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

I though I was pretty clear - I read my quote and there is no mistaking that I said that.
tongue.gif

Thanks. Now at least I know what to get next.
wink.gif
I'm very happy with the HF2 and am looking for something to complement it well.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #41 of 65
After reading the new EnjoyTheMusic.com review I decided to pull out the LA7000 for a spin tonight. I've been listening to these all evening out of my WA6, and I still like them as much as I did when I reviewed them. I'm glad I was able to sell some stuff to buy the used review sample back in August.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #42 of 65
how much different is there from la7000 and d7k with j$ pads?

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

It's crazy to have $6000 tied up in 4 flagship headphones that I don't use daily (K1000, HD800, O2 Mk1, HE60)

You're such a headphone whore, Larry
tongue.gif

Some of these riches should be donated to the "Covenant doesn't have a flagship headphone yet" foundation
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back