Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Apr 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #406 of 431
Not sure if I can help, I just uninstalled the stock driver, reset, installed the new driver, reset and set up the playback software output to the device again and it was fine.  That said there may be a new Young driver out now that doesn't work (I tried the driver a good few months ago) so who knows.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #407 of 431
Just install Young driver (you don't need to uninstall stock drivers) and manually pick it from: 
Device manager
Update driver...
Browse my computer for driver software
Let me pick from a list...
Manufacturer: M2Tech, Model: Young...

After the installation you should have both the stock and Young drivers to choose from in your software player playback settings.

Good luck!

Quote:
Not sure if I can help, I just uninstalled the stock driver, reset, installed the new driver, reset and set up the playback software output to the device again and it was fine.  That said there may be a new Young driver out now that doesn't work (I tried the driver a good few months ago) so who knows.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #408 of 431

Quote:
Hi,

I have a quick question, hope someone can help me out. I have just installed my new (used) mk3. It works fine with the hiface drivers but I can' t get it to play with the Young drivers. I'd really like to hear the difference. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I jut installed both the same way with the .exe file on my Windows7 64bit system.

Thanks in advance!

Try deleting the existing driver and then install the Young driver.  I had some issues having both files on my computer, but when trying to switch from one to the other, it would seem to d/l the Young, complete the process, but it would not play.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #409 of 431
I am using windows 7. I've installed stock drivers first, then after a few months additionally I installed the Young drivers. Everything works fine for me. No problems with switching from one to another driver.
If you experience any problems with the drivers, I support Audioexcels' suggestion about deleting existing drivers.

Quote:
Try deleting the existing driver and then install the Young driver.  I had some issues having both files on my computer, but when trying to switch from one to the other, it would seem to d/l the Young, complete the process, but it would not play.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #411 of 431
I'd be curious how this compares to the newest Hiface 2.  Tweak Audio has a 30 day money back guarantee and free shipping so you only pay shipping back.  Would be interested to know what others think about this newest Hiface.  I find it very good sounding, but I also don't find anything particularly special, much the same with other transports I have tested.  I think this would be a good test and maybe get Kenny to develop MKIV:))

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #412 of 431
What's your final conclusions of using attenuators with MK3?
For me, when I use them the sound seems to be deeper, but it loses some dynamics.

I am curious about your impressions.
Have you ultimately decided to use your MK3 with or without an attentuator?

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #413 of 431
I used to use with the atennuator because my system used to be bright.  I tended to prefer a more laid back sound as it added a sense of depth to the soundstage, otherwise things can sound a little forward with my old system.  Using a short USB seemed to have a big influence on the sound, much tighter timing and more focus to the sound, but also possible brighter.  To make things even more complicated there is the Young drivers which also sound different...  In the end I think I was using 7cm USB cable, 20dB atennuator, and original HiFace drivers, but there is no right answer really, and I'm not sure what I would use with my current system (my DAC, amp etc were not so transparent before, so I'm not sure what setup I would use with the JKSPDIF mk3)

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #414 of 431
Thanks for your thoughts, Drez.
I had similar situation. My system was too bright and attenuator helped to tame this brightness a little bit. I used to use 20dB attenuator, too, but with young drivers. My USB cable was a regular stock one and quite long (1.8meters). I tried once Wireworld Starlight 2meters and haven't noticed any difference. I am going to try a shorter USB cable in the future if you say it can make a difference.

At the moment I am changing my whole system, selling my DAC, amp and headphones, but thinking of keeping my MK3 for future use with a new system.

Could you please tell me the main differences in sound between MK3 and Audiophilleo that you have?
What made you move from MK3 to Audiophilleo?
Thanks!

Quote:
I used to use with the atennuator because my system used to be bright.  I tended to prefer a more laid back sound as it added a sense of depth to the soundstage, otherwise things can sound a little forward with my old system.  Using a short USB seemed to have a big influence on the sound, much tighter timing and more focus to the sound, but also possible brighter.  To make things even more complicated there is the Young drivers which also sound different...  In the end I think I was using 7cm USB cable, 20dB atennuator, and original HiFace drivers, but there is no right answer really, and I'm not sure what I would use with my current system (my DAC, amp etc were not so transparent before, so I'm not sure what setup I would use with the JKSPDIF mk3)

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #415 of 431
Hmm that's a hard one.  At first the Audiophilleo2/purepower sounded more forward, but had advantages in terms of PRAT, detail and imaging, now I seem to have gotten used to the sound of the AP2/purepower, or it has burned in - I can't be sure.  I would not say that a stock AP2 is better than the JKSPDIF mk3, it would be about the same level, just different.  I think the purepower lifts the AP2 to be better than the mk3, but at almost 3 times the cost it better be.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #416 of 431
Has anyone given his DACs a try? The simplicity of design has me curious. I suspect a better analog interface would sound better but a lot of DACs use opamps as outputs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #417 of 431
Quote:
Has anyone given his DACs a try? The simplicity of design has me curious. I suspect a better analog interface would sound better but a lot of DACs use opamps as outputs.

Might want to give Decur a Pm ,he had one forsale recently in the forsale forums. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #418 of 431
Thanks for your answer.
I think I will be happy with my JKSPDIF mk3 for the time being.

More opinions on using attenuators with MK3...anybody?

Quote:
Hmm that's a hard one.  At first the Audiophilleo2/purepower sounded more forward, but had advantages in terms of PRAT, detail and imaging, now I seem to have gotten used to the sound of the AP2/purepower, or it has burned in - I can't be sure.  I would not say that a stock AP2 is better than the JKSPDIF mk3, it would be about the same level, just different.  I think the purepower lifts the AP2 to be better than the mk3, but at almost 3 times the cost it better be.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #419 of 431
I think you are on the right path
I had the Mk2, then the AP2 (MK2 sounded much more musical with little sacrifices in bass and focus) AP2 PurePower (PP) , MK3.
All the devices made a jump in musicality when using attenuators in my system with a Furutech solid silver SPdif cable, mainly (much) less suggesting you are listening to an electronic simulation of a life recording when listening to voices and acoustic instruments.
I even used the attenuator on my heavily Wayne modded SB3 and also there the same effect.

In the end my choice was, after weeks of listening to hold on to the AP2 PP. and I have sold my Kenny's hesitantly. All these differences were much harder to detect on my not hi end  Home theatre setup centered around a big NAD receiver. So it is all relative.the differences are also much easier to detect in Windows 7/8 and JPLay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back