Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Dec 31, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #361 of 431
I found 20 dB was too aggressive with the mk3 with my setup.  People were using 20 dB with the stock hiface but JK mk3 has been changed to output in-spec SPDIF voltage.

In my system 6 dB provided an improvement while 20 dB proved detrimental.  Coax atennuators are a double edged sword - go too far and you are actually reducing performance.  Nice to hear the KS 2020 is a good performer

I spent $60 on a range of atennuators and IMO if you find the right value they yield good results for very little cost.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #363 of 431

Quote:
I found 20 dB was too aggressive with the mk3.  People were using 20 dB with the stock hiface but JK mk3 has been changed to output in-spec SPDIF voltage.

In my system 6 dB provided an improvement while 20 dB proved detrimental.  Coax atennuators are a double edged sword - go too far and you are actually reducing performance.  Nice to hear the KS 2020 is a good performer

I spent $60 on a range of atennuators and IMO if you find the right value they yield good results for very little cost.

drez, this is interesting that -6dB appeared to be the best option for you. In JK's opinion the idea with attenuators is to use as high a value as you can. However he also admits that it can be system dependent. Interestingly John found -20dB to be optimal amount of attenuation and he bundles -20dB attenuator with MK3.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #364 of 431
I think it depends which USB receiver you are using, which cable you are using, what the jitter management on the DAC is like etc.  I highly recommend testing a range of values.  I suspect there are a range of determining factors at play.  It also depends on how bad the signal reflections are in the coax connection, which is what the attenuators are trying to attenuate
tongue.gif

I find the battery lasts longer than I care for it to and it is no real trouble at all.  Not having to worry about wall power quality is the real benefit.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #365 of 431

Quote:
I find the battery lasts longer than I care for it to and it is no real trouble at all.  Not having to worry about wall power quality is the real benefit.

Or maybe the MK3 suddenly die on you at the climax of a piece of play.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #366 of 431
I find I typically get over 18 hours playback and never really need to manage the battery apart from charging overnight.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #367 of 431

Quote:
I think it depends which USB receiver you are using, which cable you are using, what the jitter management on the DAC is like etc.  I highly recommend testing a range of values.  I suspect there are a range of determining factors at play.  It also depends on how bad the signal reflections are in the coax connection, which is what the attenuators are trying to attenuate
tongue.gif

I'm gonna try better BNC interconnects and probably also test out different attenuators. Maybe it would be also good to try a better USB cable. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #369 of 431

Quote:
Your Mk3 Can play for 18 hours straight? On a full charge I get around 6-7 hours.

That's quite crappy, but the batteries aren't really that much right?  Just leave the casing unbolted and simply remove and replace with fresh batteries if you find yourself listening for longer hours.  Also, there's a large variation in batteries/quality/etc. so trial error with batteries can also help IMHO.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #370 of 431

Quote:
Your Mk3 Can play for 18 hours straight? On a full charge I get around 6-7 hours.

My MK3 is on for the whole day and only recharge it overnight. I don't play all the time (not sure, what the power consumption is when playing and not), but I still find your 6-7h short. 
How old is your MK3? Have you asked John about it?

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #371 of 431

Quote:
My MK3 is on for the whole day and only recharge it overnight. I don't play all the time (not sure, what the power consumption is when playing and not), but I still find your 6-7h short. 
How old is your MK3? Have you asked John about it?

It's not that old. I have not asked John yet. I did not realize how short my mk3 was playing compared to others.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #373 of 431

I finally did my a/b with my cables with and without the Mk 3. Cables made a big difference in my system. I will state it again, but the Red Wine HPA is hands down better with the Mk3. The thing that may surprise some people is that the usb cable made just as much difference, as the BNC cable. Using the Mk3. My opinion with the usb cable's and from what I read is their are some cables that actually improve the sound and some that don't. They are not always price dependent. The names of usb cables that most people say improve the sound are the locus design usb cables. It seems other usb cables (even REALLY expensive ones) are mixed with conflicting reviews. The usb cable that I choose to buy was the Wywire usb, after some positive reviews. It is also a couple hundred cheaper then the axis usb cable. It is every bit as good. Compared to the stock usb cable ,their is more detail from top to bottom. It sounds much more natural and extended, without sounding brighter. You can here the decay and natural metallic resonance on cymbals much more. With digital recordings this is always the most difficult to execute. The separation and placement of instrument seems better defined. The vocals become clear and articulated. Without being redundant this is what the kimber select 2020 bnc cable also offered. In short a clear upgrade in sound quality. I could notice improvement with each component I added, the Mk3, Wywire usb and the kimber select 2020 bnc. Which in total Have GREATLY improved upon a great system.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #374 of 431

Quote:

I finally did my a/b with my cables with and without the Mk 3. Cables made a big difference in my system. I will state it again, but the Red Wine HPA is hands down better with the Mk3. The thing that may surprise some people is that the usb cable made just as much difference, as the BNC cable. Using the Mk3. My opinion with the usb cable's and from what I read is their are some cables that actually improve the sound and some that don't. They are not always price dependent. The names of usb cables that most people say improve the sound are the locus design usb cables. It seems other usb cables (even REALLY expensive ones) are mixed with conflicting reviews. The usb cable that I choose to buy was the Wywire usb, after some positive reviews. It is also a couple hundred cheaper then the axis usb cable. It is every bit as good. Compared to the stock usb cable ,their is more detail from top to bottom. It sounds much more natural and extended, without sounding brighter. You can here the decay and natural metallic resonance on cymbals much more. With digital recordings this is always the most difficult to execute. The separation and placement of instrument seems better defined. The vocals become clear and articulated. Without being redundant this is what the kimber select 2020 bnc cable also offered. In short a clear upgrade in sound quality. I could notice improvement with each component I added, the Mk3, Wywire usb and the kimber select 2020 bnc. Which in total Have GREATLY improved upon a great system.

The other cables I've seen described in the same class as those from the (sadly now defunct) Locus Design are those from Acoustic Revive and Ridge Street Audio. Interesting that you found the Wywire to be so impressive, I'll have to look into those. It seems like the USB cables from the larger manufacturers (Audioquest, Wireworld, Synergistic, etc.) are the ones with somewhat questionable performance gains.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #375 of 431

Quote:
The other cables I've seen described in the same class as those from the (sadly now defunct) Locus Design are those from Acoustic Revive and Ridge Street Audio. Interesting that you found the Wywire to be so impressive, I'll have to look into those. It seems like the USB cables from the larger manufacturers (Audioquest, Wireworld, Synergistic, etc.) are the ones with somewhat questionable performance gains.

I have the Ridge street audio design Poiema USB and S/PDIF cables and must say they are true pieces of art,sounds verry good and the effort put into those cables is tremendous.It took a month before i finally got them here in Belgium (from America) but thats because Robert had so much work he had to finish other projects first before beginning at mine,also customs here in Belgium held my package for another couple of days before sending it to my adress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back