Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #346 of 431
BNC is the way to go! However to find a good and not very expensive digital cable is a challenge.
Guys, can you recommend a good BNC-BNC digital interconnect? (let's say up to $150)

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #347 of 431

Quote:
BNC is the way to go! However to find a good and not very expensive digital cable is a challenge.
Guys, can you recommend a good BNC-BNC digital interconnect? (let's say up to $150)

Neotech NEVD-2001 hands down. I don't know of any other digital coax that's anywhere near as good for the money. Take Five Audio offers it terminated with Vampire BNC connectors for about $100 for a 3 foot cable.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #348 of 431

Quote:
Neotech NEVD-2001 hands down. I don't know of any other digital coax that's anywhere near as good for the money. Take Five Audio offers it terminated with Vampire BNC connectors for about $100 for a 3 foot cable.

Looks tasty - which cables has it beaten?

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #350 of 431

Quote:
Looks tasty - which cables has it beaten?

It's way better than the DH Labs D-75 which costs about the same with BNC. Audio-Magic's xStream digital is extremely affordable at just $65 and pretty nice, but I believe its sold with RCA only. Other than that there's really nothing to write home about, other than maybe Furutech FX-Alpha AG which Parts Connexion sells for about $60 a meter, and they will terminate that with BNC connectors for a fee.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #352 of 431
Thanks for the recommendation! Anyone knows how the Neotech compares to Artisan Silver Digital Dream or Black Cat Veloce?

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #353 of 431
Nice one on the BNC cable.  I will see now if it's a true 75 ohm cable, but I wonder if either JK or the dac manufacture's SPDIF can do a true 75 ohm impedance between each other.  I know Swenson has mentioned the importance of impedance matching as being actually much more important than anything else dealing with transmitting the digital between dac and whatever one is using for their transport.

I REALLY want some JK MK3 vs. Audiophilleo reviews.  I don't understand why we do not have any at all???  I can dig through Darko's jibberish and understand some differences, but in the end, what I have pointed out is how conflicting he is when both have been mentioned in reviews/articles.  Other than him and his not worth a grain of salt conflicting review, we have had NO others around these forums or online or anywhere for the matter comparing these two.  

I'm thinking the JK3, being the more "diy" type device, not having that same level of "audiophile" marketing scheme the Audiophilleo has is the reason we do not see any reviews between the two.  I know that when you ask 99 out of a 100 which device they will buy, it will be the Audiophilleo because you can buy it in the US, tons more reviews on the net by reputeable reviewers, the much superior website layout, the photos that make the product look subjectively better, all the jitter specs, list of things goes on and on.

Seeing the price level of the two, and the fact the Euro is taking a dump:), the JK3 makes more sense to me at nearly $130 less than the Audiophilleo!  Then again, after hearing the Off-Ramp, money starts to become second nature in a sense.  I still have to hear the Audiophilleo w/hub or the JK3 w/whatever can be done to make it any better to see if once adding more money onto these cheaper devices, the sound has gotten better, but is still lacking vs. the Off Ramp.  Love 30 day trial periods.  Makes life a LOT nicer:))))

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #355 of 431

Quote:
Seeing the price level of the two, and the fact the Euro is taking a dump:), the JK3 makes more sense to me at nearly $130 less than the Audiophilleo!  

For me, the difference of around 100 euros, all in, was the deciding factor, especially considering they are meant to be on a similar level of performance..  Even if the audiophilleo is slightly better, that is not an insignificant amount of money.  I still can't believe I've ended up spending over 300 euros on a damn spdif transport! 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #356 of 431

Quote:
What is the consensus here regarding the RF attenuator anyway? Seems it's a bit hit and miss based on the last few pages. 

In my system the attenuator provided a big improvement in overall sound quality and dynamics. The difference was not subtle!
I've also heard about people who haven't noticed any improvement. Perhaps it is system dependent. ​
 ​
p.s. I am also going to test it with a better digital interconnect to see how much the improvement is cable dependent.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #357 of 431

Quote:
In my system the attenuator provided a big improvement in overall sound quality and dynamics. The difference was not subtle!
I've also heard about people who haven't noticed any improvement. Perhaps it is system dependent. ​
 ​
p.s. I am also going to test it with a better digital interconnect to see how much the improvement is cable dependent.

Somewhere John Swenson said that "impedance matching" is extremely critical...goes in line with the BNC cable concept.  From what I understand, this MK3 device though supposedly battery powered and not drawing anything off the USB, is still doing so.  Well, why would JKeny even give the 20db attenuator as a "required" package deal and where exactly is this attenuation issue taking place???  I don't know all the science and logistics here, but the attenuators would make sense just like a preamplifier/amplifier gain structure match would make sense.  I think it's getting things so that proper impedance/gain/etc. whatevers are as well matched as one's system needs them to be.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #358 of 431

Quote:
For me, the difference of around 100 euros, all in, was the deciding factor, especially considering they are meant to be on a similar level of performance..  Even if the audiophilleo is slightly better, that is not an insignificant amount of money.  I still can't believe I've ended up spending over 300 euros on a damn spdif transport! 
rolleyes.gif

LOL:))  Yeah...seriously. 355 EUR with shipping included is not exactly looking so good on my wallet especially when at that price, we are approaching building our own computer with an SOTM card.  I just wish I knew the fundamental differences between the two devices and what nearly $500 USD buys me?  Nearly $600 USD (AP2) bought me terrible sound!  But I do like that John has done the battery solution...that's at least in the correct direction, though seemingly not all said/done job IMHO.  Philip's next device?...AP2 w/battery supply for...cough...$450 more than current price=expect about $1050ish price tag...LOL:))

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #359 of 431
Yeah, frankly it's getting ridiculous now with so many expensive options available and that's why I'm still stuck with a lowly Musiland 01 USD for my Parasound DAC. I'm currently debating whether to get the Audiophilleo or the MK3. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #360 of 431
It's very interesting because me and korzena have very similar systems. The HPA and a Mk3. But we are using different cables and experience different results with the attenuator.

I finally got to a/b the 20 db attenuator. Initially the 20 db attenuator did not work with my red wine hpa in A/C mode. Using a Canare double shielded 75 ohm bnc and a radio shack 75 ohm cable originally, gave too weak of a signal to work. However after I got a Kimber select 2020 bnc cable, the attenuator worked fine. However the sound was much better in every way without it. In my system the bnc cables make a big difference! The kimber select 2020 tightens the bass and passes through a lot more detail then other two cables. Without sounding brighter. Everything sounds much more relaxed and natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back