Review: Jkeny’s modified Hiface
Apr 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #61 of 431
No, I have not. That will be a very good business model:
stock hiface with no need of USB cable -> Nicely modded hiface (and a nice USB cable to make sure you did not mess up the improvement)
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Just kidding. Seriously, it will be nice if the mod can maintain the advantage of eliminating additional USB cable.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #62 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I have not. That will be a very good business model:
stock hiface with no need of USB cable -> Nicely modded hiface (and a nice USB cable to make sure you did not mess up the improvement)
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Just kidding. Seriously, it will be nice if the mod can maintain the advantage of eliminating additional USB cable.

My theory is that so called "audiophile USB cables" do, to varying degrees of success, one thing - reduce the interference that the power wire has on the USB signal wires within the USB cable. This power wire is carrying less than clean power the quality of which depends on the computer's/laptop's switched PS. Standard USB cables aren't concerned with this.

So the advantage of the Hiface is that this power only runs over a very short distance & lessens the potential for interference with the parrallel USB signals D+ & D-. It's unfortunate, however, that the USB design dictates that the power pin is right next to the D- pin so there is still potential for interference given this proximity, even with a short parallel run as in the Hiface direct connection.

My cable eliminates the power from the cable altogether (it doesn't try to lessen it's influence ) - no power coming out of the PC on the USB cable = no chance of interference with the USB signals. The power itself is external & can be chosen by the user so no reliance on the variability of different computer power supplies!

The laptop has one advantage - you can run it from battery rather than the SMPS brick. But even with batteries there are lots of switching regulators on the motherboard. Look at what providing clean power can do in audio - see slim's review & other end-users on the modified Hiface
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's see what slim says about the cable when he gets back off holiday - maybe I'm completely wrong?

Oh, BTW, I don't think the Hiface plugging directly into a USB port & sticking out from the laptop is a good idea - too easy to knock it & damage the Hiface/laptop & also puts a lot of strain on this USB port/plug that over time will probably cause problems - see slim's experience.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #63 of 431
Quote:

Seriously, it will be nice if the mod can maintain the advantage of eliminating additional USB cable.

I'd rather not use a cable also if intend to have some power being passed from the PC to the hiface.

Not using a cable means not having another element in the chain that can be detrimental to SQ IMO.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #64 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather not use a cable also if intend to have some power being passed from the PC to the hiface.

Not using a cable means not having another element in the chain that can detriment SQ IMO.

Cross posts - see my answer to this above
smily_headphones1.gif

I already said on the last page that it's not a good idea to pass power down the USB cable from the PC. My external power doesn't travel down the cable.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #65 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cross posts - see my answer to this above
smily_headphones1.gif

I already said on the last page that it's not a good idea to pass power down the USB cable from the PC. My external power doesn't travel down the cable.

Uh yeah, I'm not debating at all! It's just that not everyone has a 5V battery and charger or a power supply to be used with your very special USB cable. Therefore, if I am to pull some juice out of the pc, I'd rather not use a USB cable.

BTW, you have not replyed to my emails!

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #66 of 431
Quote:

I though capable laptop may be even more suitable as a PC source because of low fan noise, portability of hundreds GB music (between work and home), and dedication of CPU/USB bus for music. My laptop is dedicated for FLAC playing while I am working on desktop computers.

Same here - I use Dell MINI10 as a music server (it is natively fanless and I replaced its HDD with a SSD for storage). The only noise that comes from it is the circuitry talking (when you put your ear next to it).
Listening to very light music is a delight now.
The only inconvenient is that it heats up quite fast and beacause of that I'm considering going the totally silent desktop route - if you know someone in Europe that builds such things, let me know.
The tube-amp noise, with very sensitive headphones, is still there though...

Anyway, HiFace made a BIG improvement for my rig and now I'm waiting for jkeny's modded unit to be delivered once the vocanic ash cloud decides to get out of the way
darthsmile.gif

@jkeny Is it possible for you to send 5V batteries and chargers to be used with your modded usb cable?

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #67 of 431
Quote:

Uh yeah, I'm not debating at all! It's just that not everyone has a 5V battery and charger or a power supply to be used with your very special USB cable. Therefore, if I am to pull some juice out of the pc, I'd rather not use a USB cable.

BTW, you have not replyed to my emails!

It doesn't need a 5v battery & charger! If you have a discarded 5V wallwart lying around - this will be better than most power form USB

I answered your email about glt's suggested charger, here - did you miss it?
icon10.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #68 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by himynameis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here - I use Dell MINI10 as a music server (it is natively fanless and I replaced its HDD with a SSD for storage). The only noise that comes from it is the circuitry talking (when you put your ear next to it).
Listening to very light music is a delight now.
The only inconvenient is that it heats up quite fast and beacause of that I'm considering going the totally silent desktop route - if you know someone in Europe that builds such things, let me know.
The tube-amp noise, with very sensitive headphones, is still there though...

Anyway, HiFace made a BIG improvement for my rig and now I'm waiting for jkeny's modded unit to be delivered once the vocanic ash cloud decides to get out of the way
darthsmile.gif

@jkeny Is it possible for you to send 5V batteries and chargers to be used with your modded usb cable?

You don't need 5V battery & charger but you could just use 4 rechargeable 1.2V batteries if you want (this will give you 4.8V to 5.2V - this range is no problems for the Hiface). You can pick up these batteries & a recharger locally far cheaper than I could provide it & ship it from Ireland
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #71 of 431
Quote:

It doesn't need a 5v battery & charger! If you have a discarded 5V wallwart lying around - this will be better than most power form USB

I answered your email about glt's suggested charger, here - did you miss it?
icon10.gif

Dude can you explain how to connect your very special USB cable in order to have clean 5V for the 5% increase in SQ? You are talking about a 5V wallwart and how do I connect it to the USB cable?

Check email inbox

Thanks

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #72 of 431
Cut the end off the wallwart cable - test it for pos & neg wires - connect the pos to the red wire coming out of the female end of the USB cable & neg to the black wire, Voila!

Remember you are talking about a 5% SQ improvement by doing this - even with a USB cable this modified Hiface gives you 95% SQ improvement so I think some of you are focusing on the minor element & ignoring the 95% SQ improvement.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #73 of 431
I'm scared to screw this up by frying the hiface. I'll need to find an electrician to show me how to do this. I don't have the soldering skills or the tools to do this properly by myself.

It would be cool to record a video of the procedure and have it posted somewhere IMO.
That's if you have time btw jkeny.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #74 of 431
Quote:

I'm scared to screw this up by frying the hiface. I'll need to find an electrician to show me how to do this. I don't have the soldering skills or the tools to do this properly by myself.

It would be cool to record a video of the procedure and have it posted somewhere IMO.
That's if you have time btw jkeny.

Don't have the time.

I would agree with you, you should not attempt this yourself - it may kill the Hiface. Just be happy that you have 95% improvement in sound quality & forget about the other 5%.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #75 of 431
Quote:

Does the amperage rating of the power supply matter? I have a 5V, 1Amp power supply. I presume the Hiface will only draw what it needs and not over-amp itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back