[REVIEW] j-phonic K2 SP - Custom In Disguise
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #31 of 56

Quote:
Everyone should hear the K2 with a very good amp like the O2 (I have Epiphany EHP-O2), it is able to perform on another level \m/

I received my O2 today actually, but haven't listen to K2 on it yet. But I was listening to K2 on good amp for a while now nonetheless.

Quote:
How does this compare to the Futuresonics Atrio with the MG7 drivers?

K2 is technically far better. The only issue now is that it is no longer available outside of Japan.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #32 of 56
Would like to hear your impression with the O2 amp. I hear impressive layering and better bass texture and attack. Mids is pushed forward just enough for my taste and rendered more natural together with the highs. It really sounds like a full sized headphone with the O2.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #33 of 56

Quote:
Would like to hear your impression with the O2 amp. I hear impressive layering and better bass texture and attack. Mids is pushed forward just enough for my taste and rendered more natural together with the highs. It really sounds like a full sized headphone with the O2.

O2 definitely gives K2 better layering as separation on O2 is really good. Personally I find O2 a bit too clean for K2 SP. I prefer the balanced ground sound of T5 and StepDance with K2 SP as it offers better body without being colored.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 56

Quote:
But... O2 is supposed to be 'wire without gain' so un-colored?

It is wire with gain, so it is clean, transparent, revealing, bright and resolving in nature. With K2 SP, a fairly bright and sparkly IEM on its own, I don't need it to be more than what it can offer unamped. For example, if there is already sharpness in the upper vocal, I don't need the sharpness to be more detailed and resolved than it already is. Instead, a semi-balanced amp like T5 or SD can add speed and slam to K2 SP lower notes without adding more sharpness to the undesired area. This is the magic of balanced output, so to speak.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #36 of 56
Actually, I was very surprised that the EHP-O2 did not 'aggravate' so to speak the already bright nature of the K2. Note: I did put some foams on the nozzle of my filter-removed-MX as it was too bright for me. WIth the O2, I can listen with the K2 with foam removed. There's no harshness or sibilance, instead there's more air and detail on the highs - could be on par with DBA02's highs but I'm just guessing from memory. I can actually listen to Garbage' When I Grow Up (Ver2.0) in my normal listening level. Carmina Burana O Fortuna sounds very revealing with more detail like the vocals.

Not sure if its my amp's version but the Epiphany EHP-O2 sounds very smooth on the high end (actually not a very good match with my Fostex T40RPv2) and I think this complemented (my) K2's highs.

Hope to try it with the StepDance/T5 one of these days though.

biggrin.gif
I'm just sharing what I'm hearing with my setup: Fuze>LOD>EHP-O2>K2. Really an impressive setup already.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
how about K2 SP + E11??

They are okay, though K2 SP is fine by itself as well cause it is quite easy to drive.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 56
The site for these is down, has been for a few days. Could they have gone out of business?

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #41 of 56
Hopefully they will decide to bring it back to the international market again. Sad to see such a good IEM getting so little attention.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #45 of 56
  The company (Sensaphonics Japan) persists, but they no longer export. My understanding is that one would have to physically obtain the product in Japan.

It is probably possible to buy it from e-earphone japan or directly from j-phonic japan using a forwarding service like Tenso (which gives you an physical address in Japan to deliver to).

Also, j-phonic has a higher end model now, called 'M2', costing around US$630 and based on Prophonic 2MAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back