Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #76 of 341
Actually I came here to award the SD2 for being probably one of the best all-rounders yet. Although it's a two-way BA design, it is incredible cohesive and musical. Comfort and build is currently without competition, regardless of price.

Sadly it is not the StageDiver 4 trying to push the limits of universal in-ears yet again, but a budget dynamic design called the "InEar One". All I know right now is that it's a v-shaped dynamic with flat cables.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #77 of 341
Quote:
Actually I came here to award the SD2 for being probably one of the best all-rounders yet. Although it's a two-way BA design, it is incredible cohesive and musical. Comfort and build is currently without competition, regardless of price.

While I agree the SD2 is a very, very good IEM and a really good all-rounder, I find the Fischer Amps IEMs to be better ergonomically, as well as Westone's UM3X & UM2 and FAD's FI-BA-SS. As for build-quality, yes, the SD2 has really excellent build quality, but you've yet to see IEMs made by FitEar; you've also yet to see the build quality of the AKG K3003 and Final Audio Design's Piano Fortes, 1601s & FI-BA-SS, though the last 4 (AKGs & FADs) have no removable cables.

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #78 of 341
I disagree with Fischer Amps and Westone, as does my girlfriend (although she has small ears).

Removable cables is a huge plus, IMO. As are cerumen filters. Do any of those have that? What does a replacement filter from AKG cost?

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #80 of 341
Quote:
I disagree with Fischer Amps and Westone, as does my girlfriend (although she has small ears).

Removable cables is a huge plus, IMO. As are cerumen filters. Do any of those have that? What does a replacement filter from AKG cost?

I thought we were only talking about ergonomics and build quality, not removable cables, prices, etc. (perhaps you should re-read your previous post).

The K3003's filters need no replacing, FYI.

I'm 100% sure—actually make that 200%—that Westone & Fiacger Amps IEMs are more ergonomically friendly that the SD2 & SD3, if they were tested on 1000 people.

But hey, if you think, and insist, that nothing beats InEar / StageDiver IEMs, that's coooool.

Can we, at least, finally agree the StageDivers should come with black cables, and that clear cables start turning green pretty soon?

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #81 of 341
Quote:
I guess it is a matter of ears but I find the SD3 is BY FAR the most comfortable universal I have tried. I am keeping them for now partly for this reason.

Just curious, have you tried the UM3X & UM2 or a Fischer Amps IEM? My SD2, btw, start hurting my ears after just 20 mins or so. Very comfy initially, but not afterwards (in my case).

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #83 of 341
No need to be so bitter. I consider cables to be a huge factor for build quality because they usually break easily. And I mentioned cerumen filters because they block out the sweat that will eventually damage the electronic pieces inside. Which category do you consider it, if not build?

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. From my experience I have zero issues. I sleep with either SD every other night. This was not possible with W4 as they do not lie in the concha 100% and thus do not allow sleeping on the side with a pillow.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #84 of 341
Quote:
No need to be so bitter. I consider cables to be a huge factor for build quality because they usually break easily. And I mentioned cerumen filters because they block out the sweat that will eventually damage the electronic pieces inside. Which category do you consider it, if not build?

Sorry to hear about your discomfort. From my experience I have zero issues. I sleep with either SD every other night. This was not possible with W4 as they do not lie in the concha 100% and thus do not allow sleeping on the side with a pillow.

Bitter? Oh dear... I think we have a very different concept / understanding of the word "bitter".

BTW, I never spoke of the W4, but only of the UM3X & UM2, two IEMs which, incidentally, people have been claiming, for years, to be supremely comfortable.

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #85 of 341
I have tried the UM3X but only owned the W4 for 6 months. So I never tried to sleep with the UM3X but I don't see how they are different to W4.
FA3 are also very comfortable. But they have a regular plastic shell instead of acrylic.
There are many pretty customs out there, but many don't feature a socket for the cable (and they usually break off to the side) nor wax filters.

So yeah, StageDiver are reference for me of what I consider build quality (build design, longevity and execution) and comfort. Obviously, comfort is a very personal and subjective matter but none of my (girl-)friends consider these uncomfortable.
You should try inserting them without tips and see if you have a problem with the shape already. If not, you shouldn't have any with DIY foams either.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #86 of 341
Just curious, have you tried the UM3X & UM2 or a Fischer Amps IEM? My SD2, btw, start hurting my ears after just 20 mins or so. Very comfy initially, but not afterwards (in my case).
Nope I haven t...you know I do not touch sub 1k iems even with a stick.
More serioulsy the sd3 is close in comfort to my se5 with are perfect to me. They hurt only after 3 or 4 hours. I also find the Kaede quite comfortable to me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #89 of 341
How many do you have?

Just the 7.

Personally I think it's easy to say something like best comfort and build quality with only a couple of sets of ears and having tried just a micro fraction of what's out there.

I would call the sweat filters a "feature." How well they are installed/integrated and made would be build. How do you clean them?

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #90 of 341
Quote:

If we're talking about women... my wife was very happy with comfort on the Fischer Amps but she had problems when removing the SD-3 out of her ears due to the strong suction.
She made a rather pained grimace and said it had a bit claustrophobic.

So much on the subject with the small ears. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back