Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Jun 16, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #46 of 341
Hey ultrazino nice review! Any chance you have heard the Compact Monitors Stage 3? Since afaik (I am not sure at all though. Might be wrong.) InEar is one of the companies CM split into. If you have do u mind sharing a little comparison?

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #47 of 341
InEar has nothing to do with Compact Monitors. CM split into Rhines Customs and Vision Ears.

I have auditioned the Stage 3 for one hour on a music fair, which is anything but ideal. Yet it left me impressed enough to plan to get the custom done for my birthday later this year. :wink:

I do not feel confident enough to do a comparison but I think the tonality is similar to SD2 with lower extension.

Edit: "lower extension" meaning further extension in the bass giving you more sub-bass.

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #48 of 341
InEar has nothing to do with Compact Monitors. CM split into Rhines Customs and Vision Ears.

I have auditioned the Stage 3 for one hour on a music fair, which is anything but ideal. Yet it left me impressed enough to plan to get the custom done for my birthday later this year. :wink:

I do not feel confident enough to do a comparison but I think the tonality is similar to SD2 with lower extension.
Ah i see. My bad then. The Stage 3 demo I heard was really good, but the price buying from here in Singapore is exorbitant. I will look into the SD2 but no chance of auditioning from here :frowning2:

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #50 of 341
Quote:

Both are fairly neutral with a slight emphasis on mids.

I just wanted to add some impression on RE400 vs SD2 and how I perceive each as neutral using the very basic EQ of FiiO E17.
RE400 lacks quite some treble and it opens up a lot with the setting Treble +4, which should be around +5 dB.
For SD2 I only add Treble +2 but also subtract Bass -2.

There are still some differences when these settings are applied. The SD2 has a stronger upper bass (because E17's EQ does not change much in that regard) but it has a much smoother treble response whereas the RE400 will tend to get sibilant and fatiguing.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #51 of 341
Ultrazino, question about SD2 vs SD3. For jazz, fusion, rock, and metal, which one do you prefer? Is SD2 good enough to reproduce deep and convincing double bass sound?

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #55 of 341
Ultrazino, question about SD2 vs SD3. For jazz, fusion, rock, and metal, which one do you prefer? Is SD2 good enough to reproduce deep and convincing double bass sound?

This is a difficult question and the reason I still have both. :wink:

The SD2 is not completely neutral and it has a warm tilt. It definitely has enough bass for any genre. For Classical I even want to EQ it a bit down.

But your question is which one I prefer and the experience of the SD3, roaring thunder and throwing lightning with the precision of Thor, is quite the experience. For most Rock, Metal and Jazz I prefer SD3.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #59 of 341
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #60 of 341

Ultrazino, if you don't mind me asking, which of the two exhibit a more airy and sparkly high end?

Both are airy and they extend similarly far. If by air you mean the tones that are sensed and not heard (16+ kHz) I really have no clue. Both do extremely well in this regard. However, highs take a backseat with the SD3 and they are more apparent with SD2.

Quote:
So can we Compare SD2 to W4 and SD3 with SE535?
If you listen to classical music with SD3 is the bass present?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you want me to compare SD2 with W4 and SD3 with SE535? Because SD2 is nothing like W4 and SD3 is completely different to SE535.
By present do you mean too present?

I receive many questions by PM of which, from my understanding, I have already given the answer in my first two posts. I have tried to stay very objective in my review but somehow I have the feeling people only want to hear from me that either StageDiver is the best universal ever which I will continuously avoid to say on purpose. However, here is my personal/ subjective take on the StageDiver series:

The reason I have written the reviews is to let you guys know about them. The reason I have bought both versions is because I like them a lot.
After my first audition of the demo pairs I expected them to be a game changer. I am not talking about a revolution but another improvement in universal sound. With the same housing and deep insertion of the StageDiver universal you can get sound equal to a CIEM for much cheaper. Basically this means that the company has much more space to move drivers around and to make better use of sound tubes. So crossovers result in less interference. Further, the build quality is close to indestructible and comfort is amazing once you have found the perfect fit pairing. These also fit very tight and suck themselves into your ear canal.
So by design, IMO, these are the new reference for universals - build, comfort, isolation and lastly sound cohesion.

I haven't talked about the sound yet, only that these have the potential to sound like any CIEM. However, also a custom can sound messed up. FYI, I would never buy a 6-BA from a manufacturer that just popped out of nowhere into the scene. I would doubt he could pull it off without errors. However, firstly, InEar is a well-known company and, secondly, they only have to get it right once for the universal. And that they did! Both StageDivers sound very coherent, there are no annoying spikes or peaks, dips or cut-outs like many other universals have. I find both to be flawless in their execution.
I assume this is also the reason why the soundstage is among the biggest yet.

What the future holds for SD2 and SD3:
Flavor of the month is an ongoing theme on Head-Fi and it will be interesting to see how these will hold up in the future. Even though I prefer the SD2 for it's remarkably enjoyable all-round tuning, I do not expect it to become as popular. There are quite a few contenders for best universal sound and the differences can mostly be ascribed to personal preference. On Head-Fi the biggest bang for buck will always be the highest priority and you ultimately pay for the insanely awesome build of SD2, a feature many small Asian companies neglect. So I would not be surprised if Rin Choi might even prefer his modded Sony MH1.
However, for the SD3 I foresee a long time as ruler of bass heavy sound. I am not too keen on bass but the SD3 performs incredibly well. Most of all, the bass is not hammering, thumping or any annoying car subwoofer replication - it is tight and controlled that gives you an incredible amount of texture. It does not cause fatigue. Right now, considering all criteria like soundstage, separation, resolution, extension and so forth, it is technically the best of all I've heard at the price point. The only catch is that you have to appreciate the warm tuning.

Recommendation:
Should I buy the StageDiver?
- Definitely, if you appreciate great build that was made to last for a long time and give you one less factor to worry about when you are rocking on the stage. In that case you can choose between your preferred tuning (neutral or bass-heavy).
- Yes, if you are interested in technical progress and well-execution of a design. You value great soundstage, high resolution, great extension in both ends and are just willing to find out how much sound you can get at relatively low cost. In that case, get the SD3.

Reasons to avoid the StageDiver 2:
- You are low on cash or sound quality only matters for your bang for buck ratio.
- You are expecting perfectly neutral sound (say IERM) or might even want a treble boost. I'd say the SD2 has a warm tilt of ˜5 dB.
- You need insane amounts of bass.

Reasons to avoid StageDiver 3:
- You do not like a warm tuning.

OK guys, I hope that helps and will spare me some PMs. I won't be easily available in the coming days so I hope I have addressed all your questions and concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back