Review: InEar StageDiver Series
Aug 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #91 of 341
Quote:

If we're talking about women... my wife was very happy with comfort on the Fischer Amps but she had problems when removing the SD-3 out of her ears due to the strong suction.
She made a rather pained grimace and said it had a bit claustrophobic.

So much on the subject with the small ears. 
wink.gif

Wide-bore foam tips are your friend. I can't tolerate iems like the SD3 and TG334 without them.

BTW, Ultra how are you finding the X3?

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #92 of 341
The Fischer Amps are fully closed, as are the StageDiver or the budget MH1. They all create suction equally with the same tips when inserted deeply.

If your wife doesn't have suction problems with the FA, she's not wearing them correctly. They were also designed to mimic a CIEM, but they didn't put the same effort and anatomic research into their products as did InEar.

In this case, I yet again recommend DIY foams, not only for comfort (no more suction) but also for sound.

I don't have a final opinion on the X3 yet. It works okay-ish and has good audio quality. Personally, I would change a few things, but they would also raise the price.

As for my girlfriend count, I've been faithful to my current gf, but earlier this year was a little crazy. :wink:

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #93 of 341
If they create suction equally why don't the sm3 or the mh1c isolate as much as the fa if both are closed? i always thought as much suction much isolation when they are closed?
i use the same custom tips that i used with my sm3 now with the fa and feel more isolation and a tighter seal with the amps than with the sm3 but the tips are equally deep inserted.

I'm asking because I'm not sure :)

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #94 of 341
The Fischer Amps are fully closed, as are the StageDiver or the budget MH1. They all create suction equally with the same tips when inserted deeply.

If your wife doesn't have suction problems with the FA, she's not wearing them correctly.

This suction is in MY ears also stronger with SD-3 as with the FAs. Tested with UE200 tips on SD-3 AND FA-4 with a correct seal/fit.
Great for stage musicians but not for my/our comfort compared to the FA4 although it was not a very big problem. 
The SD is beside of that a very comfy full concha iem.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #95 of 341
Quote:

If your wife doesn't have suction problems with the FA, she's not wearing them correctly.

Curiously enough, one thing I love about the Fischer Amps is that I don't get a suction effect—or less than with most other sealed IEMs I've tried over the years—and I do get a perfect seal, fit and excellent SQ. This I also contrasted when I tried some comply tips (though I personally still prefer the stock silicone tips).

Quote:
[The Fischer Amps] were also designed to mimic a CIEM, but they didn't put the same effort and anatomic research into their products as did InEar.

I think you're taking your StageDover enthusiasm a bit too far, TBH.

Another aspect I like a lot about the FA-4s (compared to my SD2s) is that the shells/housings are much smaller & lighter, and as a result, in just a couple of minutes you literally forget you have anything in your ears. On top of that, they're much easier to store in the very small carrying case they come with (even though obviously the StageDiver 1010 Pelican case [same used by FitEar, btw] is of better quality and possibly meant for professional use; those who'd like to get one of these Pelican cases can get them in the USA for ~$12 or on eBay if based in Europe)

I'm not sure how much research InEar did on developing the ergonomic aspect of their StageDiver IEMs, but I find the FA & Westone's ergonomics quite a bit better. Let's not forget the type of company Westone is and what they've been doing for over 50 years.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #96 of 341
Maybe you are right. Maybe I am too enthusiastic. But I talked with both designers (IE and FA). Maybe I have been fooled, but from my impression, InEar put a lot more care into the product and also emphasized the research much more. It matches my findings. That's all I know.

As for FA3, the soundstage cannot compare with SD2 or 3. As I was told, this is a matter of the implementation of crossovers and a small housing like that of Fischer Amps' does not allow the same level like CIEMs or the SD. I'm not sure if this is true, but I am willing to believe it. In case of SD3, it is quite the wow factor, impressing me more than the FX700.

I also bought another case than the included pelican one (soft case like FA has). However, I turned back to the pelican case because it allows the use of drying pills and fits accessories.
Yet again, personal preference.

Both manufacturers work hard and successfully, no doubt! I would be happy with either SD2 or FA3 and SD3 or FA4.
Cheers!

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #97 of 341
If they create suction equally why don't the sm3 or the mh1c isolate as much as the fa if both are closed? i always thought as much suction much isolation when they are closed?
i use the same custom tips that i used with my sm3 now with the fa and feel more isolation and a tighter seal with the amps than with the sm3 but the tips are equally deep inserted.

I'm asking because I'm not sure :)

From my experience, the MH1 isolates like crazy! I also never got really as deep into the ear canal because the pressure got too big.

I have suction problems with W4, UE900, SD2/3, MH1, SE535, PFE232, FA3 and basically all CIEM demos. I just hate that feeling! I have learned to use the twist when inserting silicones, but when moving my jaw I notice the sound changes a lot. I thus prefer Complys but they don't allow deep insertion. When needed I create custom foams.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #99 of 341
Yes mh1 isolate a lot more or less like the fa that's true! i prefer comply tips with the fa 4 but they don't isolate as much as silicon tips, the sound and comfort of the complys to me it's better but isolation is a problem so it's a bit of comfort vs isolation...

Custom tips isolation- comfort- sound are unmatched to me, they cost me 100 euros very good spent money anyway

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #101 of 341
Quote:
Yes and I think Ultrazino is having the upper hand on music because a guys with such success with the ladies must be right.

Actually, our grumpy ageing sparrow dude has always been rather successful with female sparrows / birds, but with time he has become a little too choosy, ie our most cheerful & charming sparrow dude just won't accept any bird out there these days, even if they're quite pretty. Sad and possiby a bit stupid, I know.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #102 of 341
I m the same with ciems
Actually, our grumpy ageing sparrow dude has always been rather successful with female sparrows / birds, but with time he has become a little too choosy, ie our most cheerful & charming sparrow dude just won't accept any bird out there these days, even if they're quite pretty. Sad and possiby a bit stupid, I know.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #105 of 341
Quote:
Why are all the fa4 owners here

Well, Ultrazino's been trying to (unsuccessfully) make the FA appear to be less good than they really are, so a couple of FA fanboys felt quite a strong need to come and defend their precious baby (in this thread).

I intentionally avoided addressing Ultrazino's soundstage comments because...er, well, I felt they were, er, 'a bit' off the mark and thought it was ultimately rather pointless to carry on with what seems to be some sort of silly competition.

Kind of reminds me of the 'great' 1p2 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back