REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Sep 19, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,397 of 1,670

Quote:
Will this work well with the Audeze LCD-2 rev 1?

Yes, they pair well together, and I was fairly sure I posted that here in this thread before.  

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,398 of 1,670
Sep 24, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #1,400 of 1,670

Quote:
Well I just got the DACmini for the Audeze, but I might try this to bank the $500 if the difference is negligible.

Like I said, the HDP pairs well with my LCD-2 rev1, but the DACmini is a little more transparent and balanced sounding.  However the HDP becomes more holographic and transparent sounding with the addition of my Sigma 11 linear-regulated PSU, and at that point it comes very close to the DACmini when used with LCD-2.  The improvement with the upgraded PSU is very noticeable, and pleasing.  I'd expect the Nuforce brand linear PSU to compare well to the S11.  With the upgraded PSU the difference between the two products is not big, but with the stock PSU the difference between amps with LCD-2 is a little bigger, although it's still a good pairing.  I do find the HDP to not pair as well with HD800 or HE-500 due to it's amp's slightly aggressive nature, so if you ever plan to get those phones you might prefer the DACmini you have.  The DACmini's volume control is also a bit better with IEM at very low volumes.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,402 of 1,670
Have you tried a 12V PSU vs the 15V, any difference? Thanks.

Quote:
Like I said, the HDP pairs well with my LCD-2 rev1, but the DACmini is a little more transparent and balanced sounding.  However the HDP becomes more holographic and transparent sounding with the addition of my Sigma 11 linear-regulated PSU, and at that point it comes very close to the DACmini when used with LCD-2.  The improvement with the upgraded PSU is very noticeable, and pleasing.  I'd expect the Nuforce brand linear PSU to compare well to the S11.  With the upgraded PSU the difference between the two products is not big, but with the stock PSU the difference between amps with LCD-2 is a little bigger, although it's still a good pairing.  I do find the HDP to not pair as well with HD800 or HE-500 due to it's amp's slightly aggressive nature, so if you ever plan to get those phones you might prefer the DACmini you have.  The DACmini's volume control is also a bit better with IEM at very low volumes.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #1,403 of 1,670

Quote:
Have you tried a 12V PSU vs the 15V, any difference? Thanks.

My comparison is of the stock PSU to my 15v Sigma 11.  I haven't tried any other PSU yet.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,404 of 1,670
This Sigma 11 is only available as a kit, or are there pre-assembled models available for the non-technically inclined?    If not, can anyone recommend a 12 volt external power supply that will pair well with the HDP that is lower in price than the Nuforce LPS-1?
What's the difference between a liner or a linear switching power supply?
Thanks.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #1,405 of 1,670

Quote:
This Sigma 11 is only available as a kit, or are there pre-assembled models available for the non-technically inclined?    If not, can anyone recommend a 12 volt external power supply that will pair well with the HDP that is lower in price than the Nuforce LPS-1?
What's the difference between a liner or a linear switching power supply?
Thanks.

You could do an online search for a Sigma 11 builder, or look for rockhopper audio or MisterX who might build them.  A 12v lead acid battery could do the job.

I'm not an expert but off the top of my head I would say (1) Unlike a linear PSU a switching power supply doesn't keep the voltage constant but lets power drop and come back on at a high frequency, giving the psu a rest but maintaining a relatively steady output level in the vicinity of where it should be. (2) A regulated PSU doesn't let the output voltage sag or fluctuate when a load is applied (i.e. plugging in and turning on the amp).

You may be able to find a linear regulated laptop PSU for less that could do the job.  Radioshack used to sell them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,406 of 1,670
I have a HDP and planning to get a pair DT880s. Will it drives the 600 ohm version to its full potential? Cuz if not, I guess I am better off with the 250 ohm version? Anyone with experience?

@Headphoneaddict, I read your post that you said the HDP drives your 600 ohm AKG 240 pretty well. Have you ever tried any 600 ohm Beyer with HDP?

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,407 of 1,670

Quote:
I have a HDP and planning to get a pair DT880s. Will it drives the 600 ohm version to its full potential? Cuz if not, I guess I am better off with the 250 ohm version? Anyone with experience?

@Headphoneaddict, I read your post that you said the HDP drives your 600 ohm AKG 240 pretty well. Have you ever tried any 600 ohm Beyer with HDP?

Yes, I use the HDP with the 600 Ohm DT-880 and they perform very well.  Volume control at 3 o'clock is pretty loud.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,409 of 1,670
Does anyone test it with KingRex PSU MKII ? Thank you
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,410 of 1,670

Quote:

No, the only 600 ohm phone I've tried is the K240M.  I've heard other versions of DT880 and wasn't impressed.  I'd like to try the 600 ohm Beyer some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back