REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
May 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,351 of 1,670

Quote:
Just wondering.. can it be powered with Energizer XP18000 portable battery?

Most of these desktop amps with DC power input can be run off a battery, but how well depends on whether the battery can meet the voltage and current demands of the amp.  I'd compare the XP18000 specs with the stock PSU to make that determination.

May 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,352 of 1,670
Hello

Has anyone tried HDP with Denon 5000 or ultrasone edition 8????

Just got my HDP today. And trying it with my Denon 5000, Ed 8. with my Mac pro and ipod.

So far. To be honest.I can't hear any difference except more volume with HDP.

Am i doing it wrong?. Or they are just portable headphones which means they pair already good enough alone with computer or iphone?

Maybe it needs to burn in??

Or maybe I am just deaf? 
frown.gif

May 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,353 of 1,670

Quote:
Hello

Just got my HDP today. And trying it with my Denon 5000, Ed 8. with my Mac pro and ipod.

Am i doing it wrong?. Or they are just portable headphones which means they pair already good enough alone with computer or iphone?

Or maybe I am just deaf? 
frown.gif

I used the Ed 8 with the HDP. I found it substantially more refined and detailed than listening out of an ipod. Try listening with the HDP for a couple weeks by itself, then listen to a track on the HDP followed by the ipod. Are you using low bitrate files? If so try some FLAC on the HDP, especially some 88 / 96 kHz recordings.

May 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,354 of 1,670
Thank you for the reply man.I will give some time to burn in.

At the moment all my songs are in 320 kbps.Yeah.I will definitely try some FLAC files

May 14, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #1,355 of 1,670
320 kbps files are great, and many people can't tell the difference between a FLAC and mp3 file at 320 kbps in a double-blind test when encoded from an identical source.  I am one of those many, although you may not be.

I am currently using the Icon HDP with a pair of broken-in Denon AH-D5000 cans. The HDP has hundreds of hours of burn-in using the USB input and the Toslink optical input.   Also, I have the J$ V2 ear pads along with the recently released Nuforce LPS-1 for power input. I have to admit that with some songs it is difficult to hear any improvement in sound quality when listening at the same perceived volume level with or without the HDP dac/amp. My ears are closing in on a half century in age, so my hearing is certainly not as good as it once was. 

What I have noticed is that the songs are much clearer and have a greater degree of detail.  The separation is also greatly improved, as I can more easily identify which direction a sound is coming from when playing a video game such as a first person shooter.  I actually had to purchase a sound level meter for my own sanity.  This should arrive on Tuesday.  I need to find out if the improvement in the sonic details I hear is a result of increased volume or better equipment.  I will let you know what I discover.  To me, it does not seem like the volume is louder overall, but I need to prove this to myself in the same way I found that 320 kbps mp3 files were as good as a FLAC file to my ears.

I just have to mention that the LPS-1 runs very cool.  The heat dissipation is superb, as the top and sides of the case remain cool to the touch after 6+ hours of continuous use.

Edit: After reading my post, I wanted to clarify that when I say the volume does not seem louder overall, I meant that the improved clarity and separation did not seem to be a result of increased loudness.  Of course, without the sound meter, I am only guessing.  When I get my meter, I plan to test my equipment while playing sound at the same volume level to see if I can notice a difference in quality.

May 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #1,356 of 1,670
Hello

Or maybe I am just deaf? 
frown.gif

I just did a quick A/B session between my iPhone 3GS and HDP with my stock D5000 and listening to The Strokes Under Cover Of Darkness song I can notice a net improvement in the Bass definition and impact. Way better separation also of the instruments. :D

May 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,357 of 1,670
Thanks for all ur replys.That really helps a lot^^

May 16, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,358 of 1,670
The difference in improvement by amping isn't going to be day and night like the changes in two headphone brands. What I generally experience with amps is that the music sounds more layered and it's easier to pick things out. The separation,imaging and the definition of some tones are better. It's easier for me to listen deeper into the music because the distinction between multiple instruments become clearer. It is evident if you listen to it amped for a long time then listen to it again unamped you should be able to notice the differences. Also note that the differences may not be as apparent for all songs. If you do a brief 10 second demo, you would be quick to say ( as would I ) that there is no difference. Spend more time with the equipment and you should be able to tell what is different.

May 16, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #1,359 of 1,670
For those who have tried the new Nuforce LPS-1 with their HDP's, it would be very nice if you could share your detailed opinions regarding the improvement in sound quality you get with the LPS-1, if any, over just using the HDP with the stock power supply

May 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,360 of 1,670

The differences are subtle, depending on the source and quality of the recording.  For 44.1/48 kHz 320 kbps mp3 files, there is not much of an improvement.  At higher resolutions, and with more complex sound, it was more noticeable to my ears. 

For a specific example, I use the Toslink optical connection of my Icon HDP with my TV.  Listening to the intro music of a recording of Showtime's "Camelot", there is a rhythm from a very low bass timpani or similar intrument.  Using the stock power supply, each hit on the drum merged into the next beat.  Imagine each "Boom" going something like "BOooBOooBOoo".  Using the LPS-1, each drum strike was pronounced and clearly distinct, and I could even hear the resonance of the drum's bass wobbling.  Like "BOoom-m-m..BOoom-m-m..BOom-m-m".  The difference was unmistakeable, and I repeated this several times, although I was not able to blind A/B test this in my setup. A hobby of mine is to make music with FL Studio using various software instruments.  The difference between the bass drums on the TV series was similar to tweaking the release a good quarter turn or more in the ADSR envelope for a given sound.

I hesistate to recommend a product such as this to anyone, because it is difficult to justify the bang for the buck to many people.  If you have high resolution sources and have a critical ear, it might be well worth the investment.  It is big and heavy when compared to the Icon HDP.  If anyone purchased the HDP, in part due to the conveniently small footprint, the LPS-1 will be like parking a tank in your garage alongside a SMART car.  I personally like it.  It is part of a modular design that has allowed me to improve my audio system incrementally.  My next step is going to be the Burson HD-160 amp, at which point my HDP will serve as as a preamp with DAC duty. 

One thing about Nuforce products, at the cost of the shipping, you can expect to get a full refund on your purchase if you return it within 30 days.  This should give you plenty of time to decide if this power supply will fit your needs without having to spend a significant amount of money.

For those who have tried the new Nuforce LPS-1 with their HDP's, it would be very nice if you could share your detailed opinions regarding the improvement in sound quality you get with the LPS-1, if any, over just using the HDP with the stock power supply

May 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #1,363 of 1,670
Has anyone tried to feed HDP (as DAC) with WA 6 SE (amp)? How does it handle it?

May 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,364 of 1,670
I havent tried feeding the HDP to a WA6,  but I go PC/Mac usb to the HDP(or PS3 digital).   Then use the outputs with emotivia splitter to an emotivia ultra sub 10 and an 1980s pioneer SA-1050 amp, which powers 2 Paradigm signature S2.  I think it sounds great.  

Quote:
Has anyone tried to feed HDP (as DAC) with WA 6 SE (amp)? How does it handle it?

May 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #1,365 of 1,670

Quote:

It works well with my WA6 (depending on tubes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back