REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
May 6, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,336 of 1,670
To add to my quote.
biggrin.gif
  Lets say the power supply regulator is crappy, and there is variations, and not completely DC.  That cannot cause hiss as it should be 60Hz(AC freq) x 2= 120Hz is added.  You will see it on the freq response spectrum.  Thats not hiss.

Quote:
How does a better power supply decrease hiss?  I thought hiss is amped thermal noise.  

May 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,337 of 1,670
[size=10pt]Hello, someone has compared the PCI Soundcard Cantatis Overture 192 with the Nuforce icon HDP DAC?[/size] [size=medium]Are two identical products or the icon HDP is another level?[/size]

May 6, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,338 of 1,670

Quote:
I got my UM3X yesterday, and used HDP to drive it.  There was too much hiss.  I guess the output impedance is way too high.  Any solutions to this? ,I've used the ER4S impedance adapter, and it lowers the hiss, but it doesn't sound as good.

Icon HDP is mainly for on-ear or over-the-ear headphones.  earphones are generally too efficient for HDP. 
Ok, you might want to wait for uDAC-2 Signature Edition - volume pot and output resistors tuned for perfection, cryogenic treatment, unspecified energy wave treatment (it is not radioactive, we just don't know what secrete wave was used to improve the sound, sounded like voodoo magic but it works). This is the 24k gold plated version and estimated price should be about $399.

May 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,339 of 1,670
     Quote:
Icon HDP is mainly for on-ear or over-the-ear headphones.  earphones are generally too efficient for HDP. 
Ok, you might want to wait for uDAC-2 Signature Edition - volume pot and output resistors tuned for perfection, cryogenic treatment, unspecified energy wave treatment (it is not radioactive, we just don't know what secrete wave was used to improve the sound, sounded like voodoo magic but it works). This is the 24k gold plated version and estimated price should be about $399.

Bling! If this sounds as good as it looks, you are probably on to a winner. :)

May 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,340 of 1,670

Quote:
Please excuse the noob question.  But, is it true that if one already has an HDP all you need is an LPS-1?  No need for the LPS-2U-96K?

The LPS-2U-96K has USB to S/PDIF converter designed to isolate your Icon HDP and other down stream equipment from the noisy PC ground. You get even better performance.
If you have a optical S/PDIF (coaxial still shares the same ground) out from computer, then you don't need the converter.

May 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,344 of 1,670

The LPS-2U-96K has USB to S/PDIF converter designed to isolate your Icon HDP and other down stream equipment from the noisy PC ground. You get even better performance.
If you have a optical S/PDIF (coaxial still shares the same ground) out from computer, then you don't need the converter.

I recently ordered the LPS-1, and I was under the impression that it would be upgradeable via a self-install kit at a later date. Is this still an option for me, or should I not even bother opening the package when it arrives, send it back for a return, and order the LPS-2U-96K model instead?

May 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,345 of 1,670

Quote:
Quote:

I recently ordered the LPS-1, and I was under the impression that it would be upgradeable via a self-install kit at a later date. Is this still an option for me, or should I not even bother opening the package when it arrives, send it back for a return, and order the LPS-2U-96K model instead?

LPS-1 can be upgraded to LPS-2U-96K  (or 192K when available).  We plan to have some upgrade kits (easily installed with a screw driver) later in May.

May 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,349 of 1,670

Quote:
Got confirmation from Jeff at Glassjaraudio that my Sigma 11 Kit ($85) been shipped.  Can wait to start this project and test the result with my HDP.
biggrin.gif

I'm curious to hear also how difficult it is to assemble the kit.  The price sure seems reasonable.

May 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,350 of 1,670

Quote:
Got confirmation from Jeff at Glassjaraudio that my Sigma 11 Kit ($85) been shipped.  Can wait to start this project and test the result with my HDP.
biggrin.gif

I've been thinking of trying some DIY projects. For the price it might be a good starting place. (I have some experience building circuits from my days of college physics, but it's been awhile.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back