REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,126 of 1,670
Could someone please tell me the best (or only?) PS3 audio output settings when using optical to connect to the HDP?
The options are:
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 176.4 kHz                             
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz  
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 96 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 192 kHz
I don't play CDs or DVDs through my PS3, I will almost always be using it for blu ray movies or PS3 games. I don't understand much about the kHz details, do any of these match the HDP's specs or will it upscale/downscale the blu ray soundtrack?  

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #1,127 of 1,670

Quote:
Could someone please tell me the best (or only?) PS3 audio output settings when using optical to connect to the HDP?
The options are:
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 176.4 kHz                             
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz  
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 96 kHz
Linear PCM 2 Ch. 192 kHz
I don't play CDs or DVDs through my PS3, I will almost always be using it for blu ray movies or PS3 games. I don't understand much about the kHz details, do any of these match the HDP's specs or will it upscale/downscale the blu ray soundtrack?  

I don't know what to tell you about PS3 settings, but the HDP will not "upscale/downscale" anything.  If you chose a setting other than the native resolution of the soundtrack it will be the PS3 doing any conversion.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,128 of 1,670
Thanks Nuforce and Headphone Addict for your help.
Just got the HDP in silver.  Very nice.  I was expecting something like Udac-2 plastic look but it looks much nicer.
As for the sound: yes, i could use a little more bass and soundstage but it's so clean, open, transparent and detailed.  Very detailed.

Enjoying it now.  Felt like I got a $500 Dac and $500 Amp all for the low price of $449.

Will burn in help increase a little more bass and soundstage? 

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,129 of 1,670

Quote:
. . .

I felt that it definitely did improve in those respects among others, very definitely, but I was burning in my HD650's and the HDP at the same time, so I'm not sure how much and in exactly what respects each of them improved by burning in.  But the end result was deeper bass, more spaciousness, more detail, clarity, and warmth, and better soundstage, all imo, of course.

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,130 of 1,670
I thought the HDP was going to just a refined Udac-2 or a little better than Pico Dac.
But really, this is so much more open and detailed than the two. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #1,131 of 1,670

Quote:
Quote:
. . .

I felt that it definitely did improve in those respects among others, very definitely, but I was burning in my HD650's and the HDP at the same time, so I'm not sure how much and in exactly what respects each of them improved by burning in.  But the end result was deeper bass, more spaciousness, more detail, clarity, and warmth, and better soundstage, all imo, of course.

I had a used pair of HD600 and a new pair which I compared side by side, and they sounded very similar.  Burn-in only made small improvements, unlike with my most of my Ultrasones or Grado HF-2 where burn-in made big improvements.  For some reason with my SR-325i burn-in made them sound worse - thinner and brighter.   I preferred the SR-325i sound out of the box more.  Anyway, I would suspect the HD650 burn-in would be similar to the HD600 - small changes but not big ones, while the HDP makes bigger changes than the Sennheisers with the extra hours.

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,132 of 1,670
Hi

I'm having a small audio project and i will have to master some songs. I want to use my HDP for monitoring but currently i only have a Senn HD-650, which is not the right one for the task as it colors the sound - which i quite like anyway - but for monitoring i need a neutral headphone. I'm thinking about purchasing a HD-600. Can you suggest me any better one? Probably a proper headphone designed for monitoring?

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #1,133 of 1,670
AKG K701/2 for budget
HD800 if you have the budget (maybe over kill and not well matched to HDP).

Quote:
Hi

I'm having a small audio project and i will have to master some songs. I want to use my HDP for monitoring but currently i only have a Senn HD-650, which is not the right one for the task as it colors the sound - which i quite like anyway - but for monitoring i need a neutral headphone. I'm thinking about purchasing a HD-600. Can you suggest me any better one? Probably a proper headphone designed for monitoring?

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,134 of 1,670
My experience with Sennheiser HD 650 are very similar to your impressions with HD 600 regarding burn-in. Both my HD 650 and HDP sounded really good right out of the box. I was especially surprised how tight and clean the bass was without any burn-in. In contrast, my Sennheiser IE8 IEM for example, required quite a bit of burn-in. With IE8, the bass was very muddy and flabby out of the box and only very gradually improved over time. I seem to remember them requiring about 100 hours to really start settling in. In contrast to that, its really quite impressive how close the Sennheiser HDs sound to their potential right out of the box.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
. . .

I had a used pair of HD600 and a new pair which I compared side by side, and they sounded very similar.  Burn-in only made small improvements, unlike with my most of my Ultrasones or Grado HF-2 where burn-in made big improvements.  For some reason with my SR-325i burn-in made them sound worse - thinner and brighter.   I preferred the SR-325i sound out of the box more.  Anyway, I would suspect the HD650 burn-in would be similar to the HD600 - small changes but not big ones, while the HDP makes bigger changes than the Sennheisers with the extra hours.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,135 of 1,670
I'm not sure what your budget is for a second pair of cans dedicated solely for monitoring, but I've heard that the Shure SRH840 are really neutral and a great value can for monitoring. They might work well for you. The Audio Technica M50s are another popular value choice for monitors. I recently purchased a pair, but personally think the bass is a little exaggerated and boomy, which is likely exaggerated by the very small closed cans.

I also purchased a pair of the new Sennheiser HD 598, which I am really impressed with. Besides having a fit and finish that is way nicer than HD 600/650, they also have a quite nice sound signature. They are much more neutral than my HD 650 and also more forward. They really seem to walk a straight line down a neutral sound signature that is neither bright nor dark, forward or laid back. They also have pretty impressive sound stage that is somewhat close to my HD 650. Overall, I enjoy them much more than the M50s. They are MSRP $249. Headroom has a nice description of them on their site. Anyway, that's my two cents on the cans I can comment on.

Quote:
Hi

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,136 of 1,670
Now I'm getting worried. My Gardo RS1i are way to bright with these.  On some songs, it's perfect.  But on some others, my Grado's become for the first time "shouty" and "shrill".  Way to bright.
I never felt this way before with the woo 6, cordaa symphony and pico dac/amp when I had them.  HDP may not be good match for my Grado's.  :frowning2:

Will upper midrange/lower treble energy calm down or smooth out?  Help!  I want to keep the HDP.  

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,137 of 1,670

Quote:
I'm not sure what your budget is for a second pair of cans dedicated solely for monitoring, but I've heard that the Shure SRH840 are really neutral and a great value can for monitoring. They might work well for you. The Audio Technica M50s are another popular value choice for monitors. I recently purchased a pair, but personally think the bass is a little exaggerated and boomy, which is likely exaggerated by the very small closed cans.

I also purchased a pair of the new Sennheiser HD 598, which I am really impressed with. Besides having a fit and finish that is way nicer than HD 600/650, they also have a quite nice sound signature. They are much more neutral than my HD 650 and also more forward. They really seem to walk a straight line down a neutral sound signature that is neither bright nor dark, forward or laid back. They also have pretty impressive sound stage that is somewhat close to my HD 650. Overall, I enjoy them much more than the M50s. They are MSRP $249. Headroom has a nice description of them on their site. Anyway, that's my two cents on the cans I can comment on.

Quote:
Hi

I found the HD598 to be less neutral than the HD650, with more boosted bass and sparkly highs than the HD650, but to me the HD600 are the most neutral of the three.  The HD800 are a little brighter than the HD600, but bass is similar.  The HD600 seem to work well on a wide variety of amps, without being too bassy or weak in the bass, or too dull or bright, or too forward or recessed - I think they're just a great "all around" good phone.  That being said, I think the HE-5 LE are like an HD600 with better speed, detail, and energy when driven by a strong amp - both are very good with the HDP.  The HD600 midrange may still be slightly more neutral than the HE-5 LE which is slightly forward sounding in comparison.

Agree the SRH840 sounded very neutral for a closed can, but I haven't owned a pair to do direct comparisons.  I heard them a few times at CanJam, and planned to get a pair after that but never got around to it.

Quote:
Now I'm getting worried. My Gardo RS1i are way to bright with these.  On some songs, it's perfect.  But on some others, my Grado's become for the first time "shouty" and "shrill".  Way to bright.
I never felt this way before with the woo 6, cordaa symphony and pico dac/amp when I had them.  HDP may not be good match for my Grado's.  :frowning2:

Will upper midrange/lower treble energy calm down or smooth out?  Help!  I want to keep the HDP.  

Try the RS-1 with flat pads from ttvj.com - that really helps with your complaint.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,138 of 1,670
Wow, that's surprising to hear. My HD 598 has substantially less bass than my HD 650 using either HDP, Udac2, or D10 and and its not very close. I do agree that its highs are tad sparkly along with being more forward, which I kind of enjoy as a change-up from my HD 650s every once in awhile. The combo of lighter bass and more sparkly highs are refreshing now and then.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi

I found the HD598 to be less neutral than the HD650, with more boosted bass and sparkly highs than the HD650, but to me the HD600 are the most neutral of the three.  The HD800 are a little brighter than the HD600, but bass is similar.  The HD600 seem to work well on a wide variety of amps, without being too bassy or weak in the bass, or too dull or bright, or too forward or recessed - I think they're just a great "all around" good phone.  That being said, I think the HE-5 LE are like an HD600 with better speed, detail, and energy when driven by a strong amp - both are very good with the HDP.  The HD600 midrange may still be slightly more neutral than the HE-5 LE which is slightly forward sounding in comparison.

Agree the SRH840 sounded very neutral for a closed can, but I haven't owned a pair to do direct comparisons.  I heard them a few times at CanJam, and planned to get a pair after that but never got around to it.

Quote:

Try the RS-1 with flat pads from ttvj.com - that really helps with your complaint.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,140 of 1,670
I have the flat pads and have changed to it and it does help.  But I guess what I'm also doing is, I'm used to more soundstage and bass and to get what i'm I'm used to, I'm increasing the volume to levels higher than usual.
I guess my ears have to adjust.  Get used to low level listening.  Or I may just use it as a Dac.

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back