REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Dec 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #1,096 of 1,670
I certainly noticed the delays involved with the HDP from various threads, so I was prepared to add a couple/few months to whatever date Jason would have provided. I was hoping that it would be something nearer to the beginning of the year just because the product has at least been announced on their website.

Quote:
Quote:
any estimates from Jason about its tentative release date would be much appreciated.

Please be aware of the history here, particularly in relation to (projected vs actual) shipping dates for the HDP. IMO, Jason does his best, but I wouldnt plan my year around projected shipping dates, whether its on this or any other amp. Never underestimate the ability of Chinese New Year to throw production schedules down the crapper :)

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,097 of 1,670
Sorry could not read all the thread:
How is the HDP as amp compared to the P-51 (RSA).  I know HDP is destop and P-51 a portable amp but I pretty impressed with the P-51.
I currently have the udac-2 to p-51 on my RS1i.  Would the HDP DAC/AMP sound better?

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,098 of 1,670

Quote:
Sorry could not read all the thread:
How is the HDP as amp compared to the P-51 (RSA).  I know HDP is destop and P-51 a portable amp but I pretty impressed with the P-51.
I currently have the udac-2 to p-51 on my RS1i.  Would the HDP DAC/AMP sound better?

The P-51 is an excellent amp by any standards, but the HDP amp is noticeably more powerful and sounds a little more open and spacious, and very similar to a balanced Protector being fed by the HDP DAC.  But HDP is also more powerful than the balanced Protector, and it's DAC is a little better than the uDAC-2 as well.  The upgrades is not a huge step up, although there is a noticeable improvement. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #1,100 of 1,670
Does anyone else think that the HDP's amp section sounds crisp but at the same time, it sounds a little narrow in soundstage width compared to other amps?

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #1,101 of 1,670
I used to have a HDP and I fully agree with that. It´s very good value for money, but the soundstage was lacking (my main issue with it). There´s definately room for improvement there, but maybe a huge soundstage just isn´t possible for a small device without a serious power supply? To me it seems all products that have a huge soundstage has some pretty hardcore power supply designs (= a lot larger than the HDP too!).

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,102 of 1,670

Quote:
Does anyone else think that the HDP's amp section sounds crisp but at the same time, it sounds a little narrow in soundstage width compared to other amps?

Quote:
I used to have a HDP and I fully agree with that. It´s very good value for money, but the soundstage was lacking (my main issue with it). There´s definately room for improvement there, but maybe a huge soundstage just isn´t possible for a small device without a serious power supply? To me it seems all products that have a huge soundstage has some pretty hardcore power supply designs (= a lot larger than the HDP too!).

To which amps have you compared the HDP to conclude that the soundstage is lacking? And which headphones did you use with them?

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,103 of 1,670
It was lacking compared to a Violectric V200 and Audio-gd Phoenix, both in a way different price level. I haven´t made any fair comparisons (same price range). Headphones used in all tests was the HD 800.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,104 of 1,670
I only use the RS1. In comparison to the M-Stage, Asgard and M^3, the width on the HDP is not as wide as those amps. Those amps sit between the $200-$300 range.

Quote:
To which amps have you compared the HDP to conclude that the soundstage is lacking? And which headphones did you use with them?

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,105 of 1,670

Quote:
I only use the RS1. In comparison to the M-Stage, Asgard and M^3, the width on the HDP is not as wide as those amps. Those amps sit between the $200-$300 range.

Quote:

Interesting, so, I could get the HDP and then get one of those amps and use the HDP as a DAC only and get a noticeable improvement in sound quality?

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,106 of 1,670
If you get the HDP and you're not satisfied with the soundstage, you can get those amps.

I'm still waiting on the official linear power supply from nuforce, or should I just buy a sigma11 and see how that goes? If I remember, it was supposed to be out by now but I see nothing at all from Nuforce.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,107 of 1,670

Quote:
It was lacking compared to a Violectric V200 and Audio-gd Phoenix, both in a way different price level. I haven´t made any fair comparisons (same price range). Headphones used in all tests was the HD 800.

The equipment you mentioned is on another league compared to the HDP, well, coming from an Essence ST I don't think I'd notice a small soundstage by comparison. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,108 of 1,670

Quote:

Quote:

The equipment you mentioned is on another league compared to the HDP, well, coming from an Essence ST I don't think I'd notice a small soundstage by comparison. 

True, I did mention in my initial post however that I doubt any gear without a larger power supply can pull a better soundstage. The soundstage size for the HDP is typical for its size I guess, but I haven´t had the chance to compare it with other gear in its price range. I was very satisfied with the small little box (HDP), I think it´s fantastic value for money. One of the best deals in the industry right now if  you ask me.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,109 of 1,670
I'm in the exact same boat as you and am curious to pick up a nice power supply and decent power cable to evaluate how it would effect SQ. I am really pleased with my HDP and, even having compared it to really high end amps, am still very happy with it for the price. To me, it seems worthy of at least experimenting with a nicer power supply. I had also been waiting to hear more about the linear power supply from Nuforce, but I think it has been many months since it was initially expected to be out (I remember asking about it in this thread a few months ago). I'm leaning toward listing my Onkyo ND-S1 and iPod 7g up for sale and commissioning a sigma 11, especially since I am not using the digital out dock as much now that my HDTracks collection is growing.

As for the sound stage comments on HDP, I think it is really good for the price, but it is also the area where some high end, popular amps are most noticeably better than HDP. A few amps that I have heard in particular that have bigger sound stages include Woo WA6 maxed, custom Bijous, Eddie Current ZDT, Supra, etc. Those are clearly more expensive amps, but again, sound stage is the area where I noticed the largest differences. One economical amp that I have heard with a bigger sound stage as well is the matrix m-stage. It wasn't much bigger, but it was definitely noticeable. That being said, the m-stage was horrible with my HD 650s, giving it loose and flabby bass compared to HDPs very tight, clean bass. The m-stage did a little better driving k701 than my HDP. All in all, they seemed pretty comparable, but with different sound signatures. I preferred my HDP combo, especially considering its excellent DAC and low jitter 24/96 USB section.  

Quote:
If you get the HDP and you're not satisfied with the soundstage, you can get those amps.

I'm still waiting on the official linear power supply from nuforce, or should I just buy a sigma11 and see how that goes? If I remember, it was supposed to be out by now but I see nothing at all from Nuforce.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,110 of 1,670
I'm surprised you say the M-Stage is a little better with the K701 than the HDP, many people seem to say the M-Stage is the perfect match for the K701. The one thing I like most about the HDP compared to the other amps is its clarity. I think some amps expand the soundstage but lose cohesiveness , certain notes are not as crisp and becomes softer. Again, this is entirely a preference thing but I prefer an amp that doesn't soften or smothen anything.

I hope Jason can provide some sort of ETA for the linear PSU. Did you know that it was initially listed to be released in March 2010?

And I also hope that HPA can dig out that sigma11 that is buried and give us an impression sometime
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back