REVIEW (in progress) - Nuforce HDP 24/96 USB-Optical 24/192 Coax DAC Preamp and Headphone Amp
Dec 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #1,081 of 1,670
Just wanted to chime in and leave a short feedback.
I went to using the laptop exclusively a while back and wanted a compact, affordable and strong-performing USB amp/dac device since, coming from a computer-based Asus Essence + Lehmann BCL. I finally had time to do some research and pulled the trigger on the HDP. I've spent roughly 50 hours on the HDP (with HD650 and IE8) as of now, and I can say that was a great investment. Everything I expected it to be and more. I'm pretty sure I enjoy it quite a bit more than my previous combo, especially considering multiple connection choices I now have. And I'm pretty positive this is not the case of "a new thing always sounds better than the old one until it doesn't". It sounds more forward with emphasis on treble, more spacious and detailed in the mids, which is really a welcome change. The amp handles my phones of choice with ease, and really rattles the skull without being punishing on jazz fusion/electronic music/rockier stuff, while still being gentle and soft on jazz/vocal/classical (I tend to listen at 12-3 o'clock in vertical). I used to hear static when changing volume while nothing was playing, but it settled down now. Apart from that, I experienced no problems whatsoever.

All in all, it's a great device, with such a small footprint but such a great functionality and price. The shipping was really fast, the package arrived safely, worked right out of the box, sounds and looks great. I can recommend the HDP to anyone in a similar situation - don't hesitate and grab one of these, you won't be disappointed. Thanks to the NuForce guys for engineering this little product.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,082 of 1,670
Thank you for many of you who provided feedback on the thread.  I just want to remind you to help post your review on estore.nuforce.com and amazon.com (feel free to post on both sites), then email directsales@nuforce.com with your order ID and link to your review.  Depending on the product, you WILL receive gift or credit toward future purchase.  With very little ad budget, we rely on word of mouth advertising.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #1,086 of 1,670
Hmm, just curious is all. I currently run them through my Bottlehead Crack tube amp which is fantastic, but the offerings from Nuforce have always intrigued me.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #1,088 of 1,670
Finally got a hdp in my hand. One thing I found out about is that it says "nuforce icon-1" on the power supply adaptor. Is this normal? Does the hdp share the same adaptor with the icon-1? Thanks.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,089 of 1,670
The HD isn't out yet, so no one will be able to tell you how it sounds (except perhaps for Jason who is their spokesperson here).

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #1,090 of 1,670
Normal

Quote:
Finally got a hdp in my hand. One thing I found out about is that it says "nuforce icon-1" on the power supply adaptor. Is this normal? Does the hdp share the same adaptor with the icon-1? Thanks.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #1,092 of 1,670
Thanks for the reply, HeadphoneAddict. I checked in another review that the HDP doesn't upsample anything, so you were right.

Now, would I notice an improvement in sound quality if I upgrade the HDP's PSU to this one?

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-42WPSU-Icon-42W-PSU/dp/B001B8YN6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1293469716&sr=8-1

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #1,093 of 1,670

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, HeadphoneAddict. I checked in another review that the HDP doesn't upsample anything, so you were right.

Now, would I notice an improvement in sound quality if I upgrade the HDP's PSU to this one?

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-42WPSU-Icon-42W-PSU/dp/B001B8YN6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1293469716&sr=8-1

I posted on the 42 watt PSU earlier in this thread, that I thought it sounded like it bumped the highs and lows a little on the HDP, and I preferred the flatter balanced sound with the stock PSU.  I actually do like the 42 watt PSU better with the original Icon desktop integrated amp, giving it more authority and detail.  I still haven't been able to test the HDP with a Sigma 11 PSU, which made an improvement with other gear that came with switching power supplies (i.e. my Apogee mini-DAC, a Travagans Red and a borrowed Grahm Slee NOVO.  If I was going to upgrade the HDP PSU, I think the S11 is likely to be the best one.  I also have a 12-24v adjustable regulated linear PSU for laptops that I might be able to get a tip/plug to use with the HDP, that I plan to try someday.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,094 of 1,670
I'm also curious about the NuForce Icon HD.

I'm not too very familiar with all the functions of the HDP, but it looks like the HD will be the the same in terms of the DAC and AMP components, which is really the only use I'd have for it, so it is definitely looking like an attractive option for me.

I'm currently debating between the HDP (which I can get for $430) and the Yulong D100 (for $470) to pair with some HD650s, but if the HD is what I think it should be, I'd prefer to go that route since the MSRP of $350 makes it an obvious choice. With that said, however, the website states that it is "Coming Soon," so any estimates from Jason about its tentative release date would be much appreciated.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,095 of 1,670

Quote:
any estimates from Jason about its tentative release date would be much appreciated.

Please be aware of the history here, particularly in relation to (projected vs actual) shipping dates for the HDP. IMO, Jason does his best, but I wouldnt plan my year around projected shipping dates, whether its on this or any other amp. Never underestimate the ability of Chinese New Year to throw production schedules down the crapper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back